The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which Canon for HDR?

spotmeter

I am currently using a Canon 5D for HDR landscapes. It's not ideal. The exposure compensation only goes +- 2 stops, and I often need three.

Is there a Canon DSLR that will automatically shoot 7 exposures (normal,+- 1, 2 and 3 stops) in a row? Hopefully, with the mirror up, as I use mirror lock-up on all my shots.

Robert Campbell

You can set three bracketed exposures at -2, 0, +2
then set the exposure compensation at -2 and take three shots = -4, -2, 0
then set the exposure compensation at +2 and take three more = 0, +2, +4
Discard one of the two at 0
You can modify the exposure compensation and bracketing to suit

bit of a fiddly workaround, though.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I've do HDR with my 5D the old fashioned way. Just manually setting the stops. This was 9 stops 4 over and 4 under. Each exposure was running from 20-30 seconds. They were at night with a 35L wide open an very little light.
I know Micheal Reichmann at Luminous Landscape has called for camera makers to provide up to 9 programable stops for HDR I'm not aware of anyone doing it.
But the old way works fine.