The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 5D Mark II

A

asabet

Even if I sold my 1dsMk3, I'm still pissed! LOL. The specs are really great, don't get me wrong. It's just that I feel like even if I did rebuy Canon gear, the next model would come out in a few months, not even giving anytime for the market to saturate themselves with the new cameras. I remember purchasing a 20D for $1600 back in 2004 and I waited...who knows how long until the 5D came out.
The pressure from the 5D II will probably force them to upgrade the 1Ds III ahead of schedule. I'm guessing we'll see a 1D IV in the first half of 2009 and a 1Ds IV in the second half.

V

Vivek

The sample file does not look "plascticky" at all. The Mark II has awesome specs!:thumbup:

I sincerely hope that it will put a lot of pressure on Nikon to drop their price on the D700 substantially.

LJL

The pressure from the 5D II will probably force them to upgrade the 1Ds III ahead of schedule. I'm guessing we'll see a 1D IV in the first half of 2009 and a 1Ds IV in the second half.
Amin,
This is the point I was trying to make also. My bet would be that we do see an updated 1-series soon also. They have the technology for the sensor, and that is still the key piece. I just wonder if Canon will finally go to a single body version for the 1-series, or keep the speed v. resolution models separate. Most of us that do shoot sport and fast action would not need 10fps of 35+MP files, so 10fps of maybe 17MP would be fine with me. It just would be nice to have the full-frame, or very limited crop (like the 1.3x of the 1D series) in both high speed or detail mode within the same body. I carry three 1-series around now to handle my shooting, and getting that down to two would be nice. I keep wishing.....

LJ

fotografz

This is pretty decent news for Canon shooters. And if you like the "look" from Canon cameras ... it's truly great news.

I'm not one of them any longer. So the 1/2 this or 1/2 that glass doesn't even exist for me.

The measure of that is I didn't wince when reading the specs. Not even a twinge of "swappers remorse" when looking at the sample files.

Same Canon look I came to hate more and more with each succeeding model right up to the 1DsMKIII ... only now a lot less money to get it.

Same camera I just could not stand holding in my hand. Or listen to. Or to look at.

However, I'm not a hypocrite ... I said the same thing when I owned it.

waynelake

:talk028:...and they are selling it with a 24-105 F4 IS. I have no idea but would have thought at 21 mp, would need better glass than that...:eek: or maybe I'm wrong? Noticed its "L"

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
:talk028:...and they are selling it with a 24-105 F4 IS. I have no idea but would have thought at 21 mp, would need better glass than that...:eek: or maybe I'm wrong? Noticed its "L"
The 24-105 IS is and "L" lens. While it's not necessarily a great lens (certainly not as good as the L primes), it is quite sharp and has good resolving capabilities. It's major weakness is the significant distortion it creates, especially on full-frame.

mazor

I agree. The sample images taken at lower ISO from the 5dMKii seems plastically, to the extent I would call it water colored!

Suspect the 21MP sensor puts out more noise than Canon anticipated, and since everyone seems to think the 5D line of cameras must have low noise, Canon has put extra effort in their digic iv to ensure extremely smooth images with minimal noise. This to me is a step back, rather than a step forward.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4359909&postcount=1

Here is some samples I found as well showing high ISO shots. I am not at all impressed, and believe it may not, or may be actually worst than my Canon 5D with ISO pushed to ISO 6400. To me the noise at ISO6400 is so unbearable, I really could only use it for 6x4 prints.

This definitely is not what I expected from Canon, and I am most disappointed with their decision to put such a high megapixel sensor which cannot really live to the merits of the old 5D.

MAzor

bensonga

This definitely is not what I expected from Canon, and I am most disappointed with their decision to put such a high megapixel sensor which cannot really live to the merits of the old 5D.

MAzor
So I'm wondering.....should I buy the original 5D now while it's still available? Anyone else thinking about this?

I have a 40D that I'm pretty happy with, but thought I might evenually add a Canon 5D or other full frame SLR to the kit bag. I'm not a fan of cramming more and more pixels into these relatively small sensors.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

LCT

Boy, way too hard to tell what you mean here. If the "plasticy" look is being attributed to the large OOF areas that cove most of these very shallow DOF shots...
No i meant the skins themselves look somewhat plasticky, even after sharpening. As if some paraffine wax was used by the models. I would like to know if it comes from the lenses or the camera, or from me perhaps? I was plannning to get a 5D-2 for my R lenses but i wonder if the latters would give better results than that...

mazor

No i meant the skins themselves look somewhat plasticky, even after sharpening. As if some paraffine wax was used by the models. I would like to know if it comes from the lenses or the camera, or from me perhaps? I was plannning to get a 5D-2 for my R lenses but i wonder if the latters would give better results than that...

Even worst the landscape sample on Canon Japans website for 5d mkii with glacier in the picture looks a bit surreal, especially the background, shadow shades looks like a water colour painting!

MAzor

mazor

So I'm wondering.....should I buy the original 5D now while it's still available? Anyone else thinking about this?

I have a 40D that I'm pretty happy with, but thought I might evenually add a Canon 5D or other full frame SLR to the kit bag. I'm not a fan of cramming more and more pixels into these relatively small sensors.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska
Well, at this point I would option for the 5D, as it will be now alot cheaper thanks to the introduction of the 5d mk ii. In the future though, we hope Canon will bring out better firmware that tune down this digic 4 processor which is in my opinion is a little too aggressive , hence why the water color effect.

MAzor

LCT

Even worst the landscape sample on Canon Japans website for 5d mkii with glacier in the picture looks a bit surreal, especially the background, shadow shades looks like a water colour painting!...
Yes but the zoom lens is poor apparently. The portraits are more interesting IMHO as the pics have been shot with presumably better primes.

mazor

Yes but the zoom lens is poor apparently. The portraits are more interesting IMHO as the pics have been shot with presumably better primes.
It may be the case, but I did not know a lens could exhibit plastic effects on images?

Mazor

LCT

It may be the case, but I did not know a lens could exhibit plastic effects on images?...
A lens alone no i guess but it might contribute to some extent perhaps?
Just a guess as i have no experience of Canon gear since the Ftb and AE1 of my youth.

fotografz

Well, at this point I would option for the 5D, as it will be now alot cheaper thanks to the introduction of the 5d mk ii. In the future though, we hope Canon will bring out better firmware that tune down this digic 4 processor which is in my opinion is a little too aggressive , hence why the water color effect.

MAzor
Actually, I had hoped Canon would have heard this "aggressive" comment from consumers ... and used this camera as a course correction.

I cannot tell you how disappointed I was in the file quality of my 1DMKIII and IDsMKIII ... both the cameras were great in every respect except the thing you actually use them for ... images. A friend that bought my MKIIs made me jealous, and I longed for those cameras back.

I actually believe that post quoting an unnamed Canon source, whether it's legitimate or not. I think they could blow the doors off the competition because they have the resources ... but succumbed to the marketing ploy of relentless mega pixel race combined with the high ISO race forced by Nikon ... which appears to be a lethal cocktail so far as IQ is concerned.

It will be VERY interesting to see how Nikon handles any high resolution DX flagship camera. I wonder if consumers would accept a sub 20 meg sensor with larger photosites and a rational balance of high ISO and IQ? Or will marketing drive that also?

Robert Campbell

There are a few references here to 'plastic' images. I don't think this means some sort of three-dimensional effect.

Could someone please explain to me just what a 'plastic' image is? And while you are at it, just what is 'micro-contrast' - another term I keep seeing and not knowing what it is.

Apologies for being so dense. Thanks.

A

asabet

There are a few references here to 'plastic' images. I don't think this means some sort of three-dimensional effect.

Could someone please explain to me just what a 'plastic' image is? And while you are at it, just what is 'micro-contrast' - another term I keep seeing and not knowing what it is.

Apologies for being so dense. Thanks.
My understanding of "plastic" is an image quality that looks overly processed. Noise reduction and AA filter-induced blur rob natural texture, contributing to a plastic look. Well done sharpening can help emphasize the natural texture, but only so much.

Microcontrast is a property of the lens, referring to the ability of the lens to discriminate between adjacent small areas of similar tonal value.

A

asabet

I cannot tell you how disappointed I was in the file quality of my 1DMKIII and IDsMKIII ... both the cameras were great in every respect except the thing you actually use them for ... images. A friend that bought my MKIIs made me jealous, and I longed for those cameras back.

It will be VERY interesting to see how Nikon handles any high resolution DX flagship camera....
How do you feel about the image quality of the current, 12MP Nikons? Now that I'm used to processing the D700 files, I can't say that I like them any more or less than my old 5D files. I thought the D700 images were a bit on the plastic side, but a little capture sharpening helps a lot.