The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I honestly wonder if Canon has lost their minds?

W

workingcamera

Mac I feel your frustration…

I’m sure many of the issues with the new cameras will be sorted in due course but that’s no help to those who actually need to work with the stuff immediately. What I find particularly aggravating is that the manufacturers release these products “half finished” and its basically up to the working community to sort out the issues. They should be ready to go right off the bat but I can’t think of any digital platform that has been able to do this.

I’ve looked hard at Canon for years but have never taken to qualities of the imagery produced. I don’t need high ISO performance nor zippiddy do-dar AF. It comes down to the quality/qualities of the file and I have to say the Canons just do nothing for me. My Hassy rep calls it “paint-by-numbers” photography but he would say that I guess.

I guess it all gets down to canon's implemented philosophy. It seems that they want to push a 'look' down people's throats based on their interpretation of what photographs should look like.
Yeah have to agree with that...Canon reps (here at least) have put a lot of effort into “educating” the market as to the look of photographic imagery. Being up front about “photographic softness” as desirable quality in a photograph. I kid you not.

Coming from an LF and Leica background “smeary softness” never enthused me that much. So Canon have known about the “smeary softness” for years and I don’t hold any belief that they will change their attitude.:thumbdown:

I also don’t for the life of me understand the Canon fetish for bolting on third party optics and going the stop-down route… you might as well shoot a Leicaflex (down Doug down).:ROTFL:

It is nothing short of pathetic that the EF lens range does not fully and adequately support the technology in bodies.:thumbdown:

But lets face it these Cameras are primarily designed for a particular job set where the end product is more often than not printed out at 90 DPI on toilet grade paper.:)

I want to be excited buy the results and the MF backs are getting there but the available Camera platforms and dearth of choice leave me cold. As I’m a dials over buttons-and-menu man I did very much like the Contax. Dial controls are just a more human friendly interface and I would argue a more user efficient system.

ooh sorry for long post we got into rant rant mode

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well, in the last few minutes a friend sent me some exceptional shots w/ the 1Ds3. Full 21 MP of glory. I'm impressed. Very very impressed. I don't know how much work was put into making them impressive, and I was told there was some additional JPG artifacting that wasn't there in the originals, but WOW.

Perhaps compared next to something else it would not be as impressive. But next to anything I'm using; I'm very impressed. If I had taken that test image, I'd be quiet pleased.

I was very impressed with the file too... Until I compared it critically with the identical image from the 5D and 1Ds2. I think the biggest problem with most of the other posts raving about the 1Ds3 is they are only showing the 1Ds3 files by themselves. Without a comparison to an identical image from known camera it makes it more difficult to draw a meaningful conclusion...

My .02...

fotografz

Yep, it is frustrating. I'm unusually crabby because I'm smack in the middle of a big Tsunami of bull-crap right now, and just about every piece of technology I own is conspiring to push me into the loony bin.

None of my Leica M8 gear works correctly (I traded in my M6s & 7s for this heartache?), The Canon 1DMKIII has to go back for an AF recall (they can't tell me when), The 1DsMKIII is a question mark, my Hasselblad CFE to H camera CF lens adapter stopped working, even the H3D/31 started acting up during today's commercial shoot. The icing on the crap cake is they shipped a Dual Core Mac Pro instead of the Quad Core I ordered.

LOL : -(

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Chris, any chance you could get him to post those images here ... or give you permission to post them?

This is a real dilemma for me since I was really counting on the 1DsMKIII for my wedding kit.
Well, I'm able to get back to you sooner than I thought. The real issue here is file size. I have been given five images and approval to share/send them. The smallest JPG is just under 12 MB. The largest is just under 23 MB. The other 3 are around 20 MB each.

If your email will take a file that big, I'll happily send it, but I can't post it here on GetDPI (I can't even post my little 20D shot that's 2MB and 3522 x 2348).
Plus, I'm not sure 5616 x 3744 would display? So I'm open to suggestions on getting the files to you?

I'll follow it up with, there is some artifacting in the JPG that aren't in the original Tiffs. The smallest file size (and my least favorite image) was shot w/ a 50/1.4 at about f10. The other 4 images are shot in groups of two. First at 14/2.8, and the second at 24/2.8. All were processed w/ lightroom 1.3.1. All with a bit of sharpening in lightroom radius as low as it goes. Then I think about 40-50. They could still use some sharpening in photoshop.

NOTE: None of the photos were taken by me.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'm able to get back to you sooner than I thought. The real issue here is file size. I have been given five images and approval to share/send them. The smallest JPG is just under 12 MB. The largest is just under 23 MB. The other 3 are around 20 MB each.

If your email will take a file that big, I'll happily send it, but I can't post it here on GetDPI (I can't even post my little 20D shot that's 2MB and 3522 x 2348).
Plus, I'm not sure 5616 x 3744 would display? So I'm open to suggestions on getting the files to you?

I'll follow it up with, there is some artifacting in the JPG that aren't in the original Tiffs. The smallest file size (and my least favorite image) was shot w/ a 50/1.4 at about f10. The other 4 images are shot in groups of two. First at 14/2.8, and the second at 24/2.8. All were processed w/ lightroom 1.3.1. All with a bit of sharpening in lightroom radius as low as it goes. Then I think about 40-50. They could still use some sharpening in photoshop.

yousendit.com is a great way to send large files.

fotografz

Many thanks Chris !!!!

Just go to www.SendThisFile.com and send them full sized to me @

[email protected]

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
BTW, here is a post on LL where a guy posts shots with the M8+21 against 1Ds2 and 1Ds3 with 28 Leica R at f8. (Of course he later compares the 28R to the Canon lens and everybody is surprised at how bad the Canon lens was ;) ) Frankly, I think the M8 shows darn well against twice as many pixels in that first set...

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21553

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
I was very impressed with the file too... Until I compared it critically with the identical image from the 5D and 1Ds2. I think the biggest problem with most of the other posts raving about the 1Ds3 is they are only showing the 1Ds3 files by themselves. Without a comparison to an identical image from known camera it makes it more difficult to draw a meaningful conclusion...

My .02...
I hear what you are saying. Myself, I see it as two sides to the same coin.
I feel there are two specific tests to run here.
1.) How well does it do by itself?
2.) How well does it do compared to others?

I may be looking more towards #1 right now, but my thought is that if I'm happy with the image, I'm happy with the image, right?

[this is my biggest problem w/ post-production and the motivation for a thread I started called, To Sharpen or Not To Sharpen, in the Image Processing forum]

Don't get me wrong. My first Canon L lens was the 16-35. Comparing it to my lenses of the day, it was incredible! Comparing it to my lens today, I'm ready to drop kick it out the door. It's still the same lens. It did what I needed it to do when I needed it. It doesn't do what I need it to do now. The 1Ds3 has an insane amount of resolution potential (compared to 35mm digital), and with the right lenses looks simply incredible.

Just something to consider,

-C

Last edited:

PeterA

I realise thisis slightly OT - but since Marc is having misery right now - I dont want make a big mistake.

I followed Jack's link to the article on 1dsmk111 files and whilst there searched the site and came across a brief review of the HD3-39. It seems that this man believes his files from Canon 1DMK111 are actually superior to the big boy blad.

Now I am quite concerned - because I quite like the Leaf files I get from my Aptus 75 - and I certainly see NO COMPARISON between a Leaf 31 megapixel file or my 1dsmk11.

Is this perhaps the same article that people referred to in teh medium format forum when talking MFDB and criticism of teh big boy blad??

I have sent the reference to my blad dealer - and look forward to his feedback - before I take reciept of my new 39 megapixel camera - sheesh!!!

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Hey Fotografz,

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the images I sent (win, lose or draw); please post comments! :)

-C

Hank Graber

Marc on getting things calibrated on the Leica side I would recommend DAG. Everything that I have sent him came back working flawlessly no matter how off it was before. I had him check my M8's finder as soon as I received it (it was dead on) and every used lens I buy I figure a trip to DAG into the price.

fotografz

Hey Fotografz,

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the images I sent (win, lose or draw); please post comments! :)

-C
Thanks for sending those Chris. I've been taking my time playing around with them ... my desire was to get my hands on a couple of files and see how they printed ... which is the way to compare, not on the web.

In my honest opinion it doesn't appear that great a difference from my 1DsMKII files. But it IS only 5 meg more ... I thought maybe the 14 bit would make more difference in IQ. It appears incremental at best.

Not bad mind you, I used a 1DsMKII for a couple of years with good results.

I do not subscribe to the use of adapted lenses on these cameras ... if I didn't need the swift AF, fast shooting, and high ISO capabilities of a DSLR I wouldn't even own one of these cameras. I need IQ with-in those perimeters.

So, evaluation for me has to take into account what else this camera has to offer in terms of speed, flexibility, LCD accuracy, live viewing, etc. I have a general idea of that from using the 1DMKIII now for some months.

The question comes down to is it worth $8,000.? ... which I've yet to determine.

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
I do not subscribe to the use of adapted lenses on these cameras ... if I didn't need the swift AF, fast shooting, and high ISO capabilities of a DSLR I wouldn't even own one of these cameras. I need IQ with-in those perimeters.

The question comes down to is it worth $8,000.? ... which I've yet to determine.
Excellent points all. Particularly the point on swift AF, fast shooting, 35mm format, etc.; as there-in lies the questions.

My own thoughts (for what they are worth).
$8,000? No.
Sell the old one for 4-5k, and buy the new one when it's around $7k? Likely.

But in all things, it's subjective to your needs. If I already owned a 1 series camera (which I do not), I think it would be worth a $2-3k upgrade fee if I use it for 1-3 years of use. But if I came into $8000 of cash suddenly, I'd be more likely to pick up an M8 + 1 lens; because of how much fun I had with the Rangefinder.

Good luck on your future decision.

fotografz

Excellent points all. Particularly the point on swift AF, fast shooting, 35mm format, etc.; as there-in lies the questions.

My own thoughts (for what they are worth).
$8,000? No.
Sell the old one for 4-5k, and buy the new one when it's around $7k? Likely.

But in all things, it's subjective to your needs. If I already owned a 1 series camera (which I do not), I think it would be worth a $2-3k upgrade fee if I use it for 1-3 years of use. But if I came into $8000 of cash suddenly, I'd be more likely to pick up an M8 + 1 lens; because of how much fun I had with the Rangefinder.

Good luck on your future decision.
I think this is more the criteria for a sane evaluation. I HAVE to make a decision because my wedding business fires back up on March 1st and I have to have two DSLRs capable of shooting a black cat in a coal mine at midnight ... which nothing does as well as these type cameras.

These are not the only cameras I use, but are the main wedding cameras for what I sell. When my M8s come back from Leica service, I'll evaluate if I even need a second DSLR ... at least maybe not one at that price point. maybe just the new 5D replacement will do just fine as a back-up.

fotografz

Marc on getting things calibrated on the Leica side I would recommend DAG. Everything that I have sent him came back working flawlessly no matter how off it was before. I had him check my M8's finder as soon as I received it (it was dead on) and every used lens I buy I figure a trip to DAG into the price.
Thanks Hank !!! I'm letting Leica take one more crack at all this ... then if that fails DAG will have to be the answer. I will not be a happy camper to shell out more cash on this system, but now I'm in so deep I have to get it spot on.

My intent was to really get back to M work for my wedding photography like I did with film Ms ... and not have to rely on DSLRs so much, which affected my style in a negative way.

I have to get this sorted out soon, I have weddings starting up again in early 2008.