The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The new Canon G1X

Lars

I was about to post this link. These high iso samples are incredible. If only this camera had AT LEAST an f2.0 lens.
I think the long end is more of a problem - f/5.8 means it doesn't gather much more light than an an X10 at the long end. What you gain compared to a smaller sensor is shallow DOF. But a wider tele end opening would mean a much bigger lens, sacrificing portability.

Edit: My mistake, you don't gain in DOF either since physical opening of aperture is about the same, in the 10-13 mm range.

Amin

This camera won't give better DOF control and is unlikely to deliver much better low light performance than a small sensor camera with a much faster lens (eg, X10, XZ1). However when light is sufficient for all cameras to shoot at base ISO, this camera's sensor should outclass cameras like the X10 when it comes to tonal range.

Rawfa

Even with its´ flaws this camera is really a pioneer in the way that it finally opened an inevitable door. This is the future of cameras like the ZX-1, TL500 and LX5 (Pana already mentioned the possibility of releasing the next LX with a larger sensor).

Erik_A

Yes there will be shallower DOF at 28mm equiv on the GX1 at f/2.8 (3.49 ft) w/ the sensor that is 4 times the size than even f/1.8 on a 1/1.7" sensor (7.03 ft) . See http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html.

This camera won't give better DOF control and is unlikely to deliver much better low light performance than a small sensor camera with a much faster lens (eg, X10, XZ1). However when light is sufficient for all cameras to shoot at base ISO, this camera's sensor should outclass cameras like the X10 when it comes to tonal range.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I didn't pay attention to the launch of this camera until I clicked on the link at dpr by mistake. Then I had a look at some of the ISO 12,800 image. Now, try to imagine ISO 12,800 from a compact some 5-6 years ago. Coming to think of it... try to imagine a photo taken with any camera 5-6 years ago. I have to try printing one of those when I come home.

Oh, and another thing: The lens seem to be very sharp from corner to corner, I assume there is a lot of processing going on inside that box somewhere, but this might become a very handy travel companion for lots of people. Me? Nah... I have a camera already...

Erik_A

The 5d Mk1 is over 6 years old - it is still my favorite for film like RAW files.

I didn't pay attention to the launch of this camera until I clicked on the link at dpr by mistake. Then I had a look at some of the ISO 12,800 image. Now, try to imagine ISO 12,800 from a compact some 5-6 years ago. Coming to think of it... try to imagine a photo taken with any camera 5-6 years ago. I have to try printing one of those when I come home.

Oh, and another thing: The lens seem to be very sharp from corner to corner, I assume there is a lot of processing going on inside that box somewhere, but this might become a very handy travel companion for lots of people. Me? Nah... I have a camera already...

DaveS

Well, just picked up the new G1X today. It came in while I was on holiday in Hawaii, which is where I really wanted to try it out.

It is rainy and dull here in Vancouver today, so a few test shots only. Indoors letting it do white balance, and out the window shots. I processed the raw at default DXO settings. I normally use Lightroom, but I don't think it recognizes it yet. Shots at 400, 1600 and 3200 all look pretty good. The DXO raw processed look better than the camera jpeg, but they aren’t bad either, but jpegs have more little clumps in the high iso at 100%.

I noticed 1600 comes out great, sharp, and clear from DXO, the 3200 ISO comes out clear, but loses a bit of sharpness over the unprocessed image. When I change settings to bring sharpness back, it gets a bit more noise, but not bad. I really like the image quality so far.

Overall, I use a M9 on trips with a back up LX5 for always having something with me when not carrying the M9. So this is going to be a LX5 trip replacement camera, or a party camera with the small canon bounce flash attached, or general purpose when I don’t carry the leica, and want more than the LX5. (although the LX5 has it place too – smaller, wider)

I am still getting used to the GUI. Also the play back button is in the wrong spot, right by your thumb, so it is awkward to push with your left hand, or you have to almost release your grip to push it with your right thumb. For either hand/finger overall it is a dumb spot for it.

The viewfinder isn’t good, same as my G9, it is off center when you zoom, so you don’t know for sure what it is focusing on. If I keep the screen on, then when you look in the viewfinder, you see the green light come on, glance at the screen to see where the square is focusing, and click. Very awkward but sort of workable. The IS seems really good.

It might sound negative, so far, but that is not the full story, high iso is good for a small package, image quality looks good, I like the zoom range (for its size) screen is good. Time will tell, will try it more over the weekend.

Dave

Paratom

Here is my opinion about the G1x (I only had on in my hand to play with - we just aquired one for use in our company):

LENS:
While the lens is slow it isnt really slower than most kit lenses for Nex/m4/3, but it offers a longer and IMO quite usefull focal length range, and its pretty compact when the camera is switched off.
So maybe one can not change it, but then for some its maybe all they need?

USER INTERFACE:
I had a G11 and the G1x user interface seems to be pretty much the same. I find it really good. Fast access to ISO/EV Comp/Modes with a dial.
AND!!! Compared to the dials on the Nex7 the one of the g1x has a certain resistance and clicks. much better! It feels much more camera than the UI of the Nex7 IMO.

I will see how it works here in our company, but I find this a very attractive combination. Maybe it doesnt have the IQ of a NEX, not the lens options of m4/3, not the AF speed m4/3, but then its maybe just the right compromize between IQ/size/focal length range which could work for such a camera very well.
I am considering to buy one for my wife. She has a gh1 but the kit lens is a little to short with max 45mm, and the 14-140 is too big of a lens for her.

Terry

I think for me it came down to the viewfinder. I've decided that I really like to have one and Canon essentially punted on it for this camera.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I think for me it came down to the viewfinder. I've decided that I really like to have one and Canon essentially punted on it for this camera.
Terry,

wonderful!

So how accurate is the viewfinder? Is it any better than the G12 or G11?

If it is good enough I would consider one as well ....

Thanks

Peter

Terry

Terry,

wonderful!

So how accurate is the viewfinder? Is it any better than the G12 or G11?

If it is good enough I would consider one as well ....

Thanks

Peter
I don't think I was clear. Canon essentially neglected it. Worse than Fuji X10. Also read luminous Landscape....no love there. I haven't used it but the reviews are universal.

Paratom

Actually even with the high praised NEX EVF I still often use the display instead- the viewfinder gets used mostly in very strong light. But then if the light is contrasty the EVF are not that great any more. (Thats why I consider to keep the 5n eventually instead of the 7)

So then there is the small and not so accurate optical viewfinder of the G1x.
Ii is small and not a great viewfinder. But in extreme light the OVF of the g1x might work better than EVFs.
So I guess it is a different approach-
But for someone who uses EVF all the time and likes EVF the Canon is wrong for sure.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I don't think I was clear. Canon essentially neglected it. Worse than Fuji X10. Also read luminous Landscape....no love there. I haven't used it but the reviews are universal.
Sorry, I had misunderstood. Well, there was some hope obviously from my side ;)

Uaiomex

I was sold from the beginning. But so many reviews and posts about its AF performance and some other issues affecting serious photography, I will hold for the time being. As MR said, it is no more than a big sensor point&shoot. So typical of Canon. I'm afraid I need more this time.
Eduardo

Paratom

The Nex also dont have fast AF, and neither the Nex nor the m4/3 kit lenses are faster, and neither offer the same focal length rage in a small package.

No matter how you call a camera (P&S or enthusiast or pro) the wheels of the g1x feel more professional than those of the Nex and m4/3 cams.
I am not talking against Nex or m4/3 but I am surprized how many give up so fast on that camera.

M

Melilot29

I love this camera. However, its lens is really slow. I do not like the fact that it has in built lens. I would opt for changeable lens.