Site Sponsors

Thread: The new Canon G1X

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The new Canon G1X

Not to be confused with the GX1 or the X Pro1 or X1.....what's with the X factor

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01...nonG1X_Preview

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The new G1X

For me I look at this and compare to the Fuji X10

bigger sensor - check
    slower lens - more than 2 stops at the long end negates a bunch of sensor size advantage
    viewfinder - not discussed anywhere (so doesn't bode well)

I guess the answer is wait and see.

Post Thanks / Like

The larger sensor is really impressive!

The fact that you cannot change lenses and the built in lens is really slow, is a clear MINUS - at least for me ...

The fact that I used to shoot the G10 and was absolutely disappointed by its OVF (far away from being somehow accurate plus really dark) makes me wonder if the G1X will do better .... why not an EVF at least with the quality of the V1 ???

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The new Canon G1X

Golly - the plot thickens - and everything has an X in the name!
    It's rather nice to have another camera that I simply don't want!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Not to be confused with the GX1 or the X Pro1 or X1.....what's with the X factor

I eagerly await the first XX camera.

Well, it would/could be Xs also.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I eagerly await the first XX camera.

Well, it would/could be Xs also.
    Wouldn't the first XXX camera be more fun?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Me too LOL. I'm sitting back and watching but with what's coming out I suspect if I moved to another small system/camera it would be a NEX.

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Golly - the plot thickens - and everything has an X in the name!
    It's rather nice to have another camera that I simply don't want!

all the best

Post Thanks / Like

Found small description of "tunnel" OVF in dpreview hands on preview. Same ol' I had way back when I had the first Canon G1 and the G9 my husband has now--or thereabouts--no contest with the terrific EVFs out now. No appeal for me in any way but I suspect it will sell nonetheless as Canon has plenty of wherewithall to promote that "larger than m4/3 sensor, not much smaller than DSLR sensors". The slow lens, as Terry says, negates a lot of that advantage.

For me I look at this and compare to the Fuji X10

bigger sensor - check
    slower lens - more than 2 stops at the long end negates a bunch of sensor size advantage
    viewfinder - not discussed anywhere (so doesn't bode well)

I guess the answer is wait and see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seems competent. 534g heft. Slow lens.

Canon engineer:
    "We need a bigger sensor, lets try putting one into the G12! Now where's my shoe horn?
    Hmm flash gets in the way... we could maybe fit a popup flash on the left side?
    But then where does the comp dial go? Let's get rid of the ISO dial.
    Then let ISO settings replace self timer and bury self timer in a menu."

Actually not bad design choices.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cannot understand why Canon cannot manage to make this camera really decent .

1) faster lens
    2) EVF (at least 1.4M)
    3) etc......

and then try their market (which should be there) and if success make a interchangeable lens model .....

????????

Post Thanks / Like

Lets first have a look at the image quality. If the quality rocks I forgive many UI issues.

Features and ND filter which is great for video.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

I would not write off so early. It depends on in which category you put this for comparison. Based on MRP and its G Series ethos, if I compare it with Nikon Coolpix, GRD, Olympus XZ and so on, then G1X definitely has lot of thing to go for it.

If you look at it as an alternative to NEX, m4/3 which it is not, then its a problem

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty cool camera. Seems like a Panasonic GX1 or G3 with the 14-42 X lens would be a comparable package. I'd lean towards the interchangeable lens systems, but I can understand if you have a DSLR kit with lens investment already then you might just want the all-in-one small camera.

Let's see the low light and dynamic range performance.

Post Thanks / Like

For me it all would depend on how good and accurate the OVF is. In the G10 it was unacceptably inaccurate. If it is the same then forget the whole camera. If it is decent, then it becomes more interesting .....

PS1: I would not care about great IQ, if the framing does not work.

PS2: I cannot understand why a technology leading company like Canon cannot put a great EVF in this camera

PS3: I also was pretty upset by the menu system of the G10, so if this is not substantially better, then this is another reason to forget

PS-final: clearly shows if you once upset a customer totally with a product, it is pretty hard to win him/her back .....

Post Thanks / Like

krb

Quote Originally Posted by Uaiomex View Post
    Passed?
    No, but it's a decent start. ISO 100 doesn't tell us much but at least the 1/15 shutter speed shows that the IS works well enough.

Post Thanks / Like

I am actually pretty disappointed by all those ISO100 or 200 samples, not only Canon but also other vendors, which should be good because this is the sweet spot of all sensors. Could do as well same IQ from my iPhone ....

Further it was shot under "studio like" lightning, what should go wrong here? I usually almost never have the luxury of such lightning in my daily shooting.

At least IS seems to work - did actually not expect anything else from Canon.

Finally - was this really the image the photographer could see through the OVF ?????

Post Thanks / Like

waiting on image quality before making a decision...and some reviews, both user reviews and photographer/site reviews...if the quality, raw image quality isn't up there then the rest don't matter...

will also wait to hold it in a store, use it if possible, make sure i like how it feels in hand, see how the weight is, the size etc. in real life...

I hate view finders, ovf or evf's, so that don't bug me...I want the camera for the swiveling lcd...i prefer shooting from waist/stomach/chest level and using the lcd to frame...hold the cam against my body to stabilize as best as possible...that said, i wouldn't have complained about an excellent view finder for all of you who want one...

f2.0 would have been nice, but i can live with 2.8...

24mm would have been better, but can live with 28mm...

i'll wait a while, for the reviews, maybe for the price to come down a bit too...no rush...this will replace my aging but still quite good canon a630 as my go everywhere camera...

i can see this kind of body being the jump off point for canon to give us a miLc...maybe later this year, maybe next...

ok, i just wanted to chime in...
    Last edited by momo; 10th January 2012 at 08:16.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sample images: http://www.focus-numerique.com/test-...onique-12.html

If you view on a chrome browser, it will translate the text.

Post Thanks / Like

I was about to post this link. These high iso samples are incredible. If only this camera had AT LEAST an f2.0 lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    I was about to post this link. These high iso samples are incredible. If only this camera had AT LEAST an f2.0 lens.
    I think the long end is more of a problem - f/5.8 means it doesn't gather much more light than an an X10 at the long end. What you gain compared to a smaller sensor is shallow DOF. But a wider tele end opening would mean a much bigger lens, sacrificing portability.

Edit: My mistake, you don't gain in DOF either since physical opening of aperture is about the same, in the 10-13 mm range.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like

This camera won't give better DOF control and is unlikely to deliver much better low light performance than a small sensor camera with a much faster lens (eg, X10, XZ1). However when light is sufficient for all cameras to shoot at base ISO, this camera's sensor should outclass cameras like the X10 when it comes to tonal range.

Post Thanks / Like

Even with itsī flaws this camera is really a pioneer in the way that it finally opened an inevitable door. This is the future of cameras like the ZX-1, TL500 and LX5 (Pana already mentioned the possibility of releasing the next LX with a larger sensor).

Post Thanks / Like

Yes there will be shallower DOF at 28mm equiv on the GX1 at f/2.8 (3.49 ft) w/ the sensor that is 4 times the size than even f/1.8 on a 1/1.7" sensor (7.03 ft) . See http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html.

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    This camera won't give better DOF control and is unlikely to deliver much better low light performance than a small sensor camera with a much faster lens (eg, X10, XZ1). However when light is sufficient for all cameras to shoot at base ISO, this camera's sensor should outclass cameras like the X10 when it comes to tonal range.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I didn't pay attention to the launch of this camera until I clicked on the link at dpr by mistake. Then I had a look at some of the ISO 12,800 image. Now, try to imagine ISO 12,800 from a compact some 5-6 years ago. Coming to think of it... try to imagine a photo taken with any camera 5-6 years ago. I have to try printing one of those when I come home.

Oh, and another thing: The lens seem to be very sharp from corner to corner, I assume there is a lot of processing going on inside that box somewhere, but this might become a very handy travel companion for lots of people. Me? Nah... I have a camera already...

Post Thanks / Like

The 5d Mk1 is over 6 years old - it is still my favorite for film like RAW files.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I didn't pay attention to the launch of this camera until I clicked on the link at dpr by mistake. Then I had a look at some of the ISO 12,800 image. Now, try to imagine ISO 12,800 from a compact some 5-6 years ago. Coming to think of it... try to imagine a photo taken with any camera 5-6 years ago. I have to try printing one of those when I come home.

Oh, and another thing: The lens seem to be very sharp from corner to corner, I assume there is a lot of processing going on inside that box somewhere, but this might become a very handy travel companion for lots of people. Me? Nah... I have a camera already...

Post Thanks / Like

Well, just picked up the new G1X today. It came in while I was on holiday in Hawaii, which is where I really wanted to try it out.

It is rainy and dull here in Vancouver today, so a few test shots only. Indoors letting it do white balance, and out the window shots. I processed the raw at default DXO settings. I normally use Lightroom, but I don't think it recognizes it yet. Shots at 400, 1600 and 3200 all look pretty good. The DXO raw processed look better than the camera jpeg, but they arenít bad either, but jpegs have more little clumps in the high iso at 100%.

I noticed 1600 comes out great, sharp, and clear from DXO, the 3200 ISO comes out clear, but loses a bit of sharpness over the unprocessed image. When I change settings to bring sharpness back, it gets a bit more noise, but not bad. I really like the image quality so far.

Overall, I use a M9 on trips with a back up LX5 for always having something with me when not carrying the M9. So this is going to be a LX5 trip replacement camera, or a party camera with the small canon bounce flash attached, or general purpose when I donít carry the leica, and want more than the LX5. (although the LX5 has it place too Ė smaller, wider)

I am still getting used to the GUI. Also the play back button is in the wrong spot, right by your thumb, so it is awkward to push with your left hand, or you have to almost release your grip to push it with your right thumb. For either hand/finger overall it is a dumb spot for it.

The viewfinder isnít good, same as my G9, it is off center when you zoom, so you donít know for sure what it is focusing on. If I keep the screen on, then when you look in the viewfinder, you see the green light come on, glance at the screen to see where the square is focusing, and click. Very awkward but sort of workable. The IS seems really good.

It might sound negative, so far, but that is not the full story, high iso is good for a small package, image quality looks good, I like the zoom range (for its size) screen is good. Time will tell, will try it more over the weekend.

Dave

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my opinion about the G1x (I only had on in my hand to play with - we just aquired one for use in our company):

LENS:
    While the lens is slow it isnt really slower than most kit lenses for Nex/m4/3, but it offers a longer and IMO quite usefull focal length range, and its pretty compact when the camera is switched off.
    So maybe one can not change it, but then for some its maybe all they need?

USER INTERFACE:
    I had a G11 and the G1x user interface seems to be pretty much the same. I find it really good. Fast access to ISO/EV Comp/Modes with a dial.
    AND!!! Compared to the dials on the Nex7 the one of the g1x has a certain resistance and clicks. much better! It feels much more camera than the UI of the Nex7 IMO.

I will see how it works here in our company, but I find this a very attractive combination. Maybe it doesnt have the IQ of a NEX, not the lens options of m4/3, not the AF speed m4/3, but then its maybe just the right compromize between IQ/size/focal length range which could work for such a camera very well.
    I am considering to buy one for my wife. She has a gh1 but the kit lens is a little to short with max 45mm, and the 14-140 is too big of a lens for her.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think for me it came down to the viewfinder. I've decided that I really like to have one and Canon essentially punted on it for this camera.

Post Thanks / Like

I think for me it came down to the viewfinder. I've decided that I really like to have one and Canon essentially punted on it for this camera.
    Terry,

wonderful!

So how accurate is the viewfinder? Is it any better than the G12 or G11?

If it is good enough I would consider one as well ....

Thanks

Peter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Terry,

wonderful!

So how accurate is the viewfinder? Is it any better than the G12 or G11?

If it is good enough I would consider one as well ....

Thanks

Peter
    I don't think I was clear. Canon essentially neglected it. Worse than Fuji X10. Also read luminous Landscape....no love there. I haven't used it but the reviews are universal.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Actually even with the high praised NEX EVF I still often use the display instead- the viewfinder gets used mostly in very strong light. But then if the light is contrasty the EVF are not that great any more. (Thats why I consider to keep the 5n eventually instead of the 7)

So then there is the small and not so accurate optical viewfinder of the G1x.
    Ii is small and not a great viewfinder. But in extreme light the OVF of the g1x might work better than EVFs.
    So I guess it is a different approach-
    But for someone who uses EVF all the time and likes EVF the Canon is wrong for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I was clear. Canon essentially neglected it. Worse than Fuji X10. Also read luminous Landscape....no love there. I haven't used it but the reviews are universal.
    Sorry, I had misunderstood. Well, there was some hope obviously from my side

Post Thanks / Like

I was sold from the beginning. But so many reviews and posts about its AF performance and some other issues affecting serious photography, I will hold for the time being. As MR said, it is no more than a big sensor point&shoot. So typical of Canon. I'm afraid I need more this time.
    Eduardo

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The Nex also dont have fast AF, and neither the Nex nor the m4/3 kit lenses are faster, and neither offer the same focal length rage in a small package.

No matter how you call a camera (P&S or enthusiast or pro) the wheels of the g1x feel more professional than those of the Nex and m4/3 cams.
    I am not talking against Nex or m4/3 but I am surprized how many give up so fast on that camera.

Melilot29

I love this camera. However, its lens is really slow. I do not like the fact that it has in built lens. I would opt for changeable lens.