The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 5D Mark III announced, your thoughts

V

Vivek

The most exciting announcement is the wireless RF TTL flash system! :thumbs:

Hope others will follow in Canon's footsteps.

PS: I have no interest in Canon's DSLRs.

Paul Jameson

Seriously underwhelmed by this. It's like Canon have gone to sleep.

After a 20 year relationship with Canon i recently jumped ship to Leica M9 for mind blowing image quality.

The price increase is startling. No concern to me tho, as I've bought my last weight-lifter's camera (Nikon D700), which I sometimes use if I need it, but have moved on to lighter weight and smaller gear. Those guys (C & N) can continue following the Kodak business model, as some need the latest and greatest, but I'm a dropout.

tjv

Got to agree, unless the image quality is mind blowing I wouldn't buy in to this.
Plus i'd never go off the horrible image samples Nikon or any company for that matter post on their web sites. I will be interested to see what real world use shows us in terms of how the 5D MKIII and D800 perform. I'm willing to bet there's almost nothing in it when the ink hits the paper. All and all another ho hum couple of announcements, really.

Shashin

It is funny how we condemn the mega-pixel and mega-technology wars and then are disappointed when a company only improves a camera. I think the 5D mark III is going to be a fine camera. It is a pity the buying public is still in love with novelty.

Shashin

BTW, has it never occurred to anyone that the examples these companies post are "real world" examples. They use the same light and objects that are in the real world. They use the same lenses too. Example from really great photographers are not really real world--they are exceptions. (A designer suit on Brad Pitt that makes him look great somehow does not do the same for me.)

pophoto

I find it funny too. I'm sitting on two sets of glass as we speak, Nikon and Canon. Two things really stand out to me about Canon over Nikon.

i) Wow factor in the Canon lenses compared to the Nikon.
ii) RAW processing the RAW files from Canon (5D2) are just that much more pleasing and easier to get it just where I want it, I don't find this true with Nikon. Although I find a place I can tolerate (not the best choice of words), and be happy with it!

It seems on paper the 22MP isn't very impressive, but those with the 5D2 will know what IQ it already has, and improvements are welcomed together with better AF and processing engine. I'm not trying to make a sale of why Canon is better than Nikon, I just don't want to dumb down what the 5D3 actually is.

I am as of now, still sitting with my Nikon glass, but if I know I can be happy with the 5D3, I will let them go. The only catch is, I will wait to see how the 800E performs in real world. I know I currently have a luxury of owning the two systems, however, I truly hope this is temporary and the Nikon glass will be the first to go!

The only major point is, I really really don't think it is worth the price increase.

Oren Grad

The price will likely take care of itself once the initial rush is past and the 5DII inventory is depleted.

Having previously owned the 5DII, I'd say that if the III delivers in just two areas - upgrading the AF to 1D-class performance, and bringing to 22MP the DR and pixel-level file quality of the D700 at both low and high ISO - then the model iteration will have been more than justified.

kdphotography

Biggest attraction (improvement) will be AF performance on the 5D III; add dual memory cards and it's perfect for weddings. I have absolutely no love for my Canons, but sometimes it simply is the best tool for the job. I'll probably be updating my 1Ds Mark III with the 1Dx, maybe the 5D III, or both after the dust settles....

bensonga

The 22mp resolution is more than enough for me, but if the street price is close to that $3,499.....that's a $1,000 premium over a current 5D Mk II. Crazy. I have several friends who have sold their 5D2s because of unreliable autofocus. I'm not willing to take a chance on a 5D3 until I know the autofocus has been dramatically improved AND the price drops below $3k.

Gary

Shashin

This thread is rather dull. Might I liven it up by suggesting that with less noise the 5DmkIII will rival medium-format digital?

:angel:

:watch:

:grin:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I find it funny too. I'm sitting on two sets of glass as we speak, Nikon and Canon. Two things really stand out to me about Canon over Nikon.

i) Wow factor in the Canon lenses compared to the Nikon.
ii) RAW processing the RAW files from Canon (5D2) are just that much more pleasing and easier to get it just where I want it, I don't find this true with Nikon. Although I find a place I can tolerate (not the best choice of words), and be happy with it!

It seems on paper the 22MP isn't very impressive, but those with the 5D2 will know what IQ it already has, and improvements are welcomed together with better AF and processing engine. I'm not trying to make a sale of why Canon is better than Nikon, I just don't want to dumb down what the 5D3 actually is.

I am as of now, still sitting with my Nikon glass, but if I know I can be happy with the 5D3, I will let them go. The only catch is, I will wait to see how the 800E performs in real world. I know I currently have a luxury of owning the two systems, however, I truly hope this is temporary and the Nikon glass will be the first to go!

The only major point is, I really really don't think it is worth the price increase.
I think no matter how good the 5D3 really is, the Nikon D800E should be easily better. Cannot talk about percentage but the complete lack of AA filter in combo with 36MP of the new sensor with also higher DR - what should be wrong here?

What I do not really get - I also owned (own) both systems and while I always liked Canon L glass, I must say that Nikon is topping it if you consider their Nanocoated glass - so why do you say C glass is better? I surely value your opinion but I am just interested.

Paratom

I believe we have to just wait and see how IQ turns out of the D800 and 5dIII.

My feeling is that the 22MP could be the better solution.
I also think its great they have included their best AF in this camera since the best sensor lens combo is owrthless if focus is off.

And the Canon 50/1.2 and 85/1.2 are still impressive lenses.

So me, I find the Canon as interesting as the D800.

Tom

bensonga

I have a friend who works in the only decent camera store here in Anchorage. When the 1Dx, D4 and D800 were announced, the shop's phone was ringing all day long with pre-orders. They haven't received ANY calls for the 5D3 today. At least here in Anchorage, not a good start for the 5D3.

pophoto

I think no matter how good the 5D3 really is, the Nikon D800E should be easily better. Cannot talk about percentage but the complete lack of AA filter in combo with 36MP of the new sensor with also higher DR - what should be wrong here?

What I do not really get - I also owned (own) both systems and while I always liked Canon L glass, I must say that Nikon is topping it if you consider their Nanocoated glass - so why do you say C glass is better? I surely value your opinion but I am just interested.
If comparing lenses, I'm only interested in how the images are drawn if I am shooting wide open from what is sharp to the out of focus region and bokeh, and closing down to get sharper images. This is my short answer and I know is very subjective.

While I hate to compare what isn't directly comparable for example what was 21MP vs 12MP. I also cared for what was also translated from the sensor of the images to Raw processing software, that being LR.

While seeing a lot of details matter to certain degree, what was coming out for say 35L vs 35G glass, I see no wow factor from the Nikon glass and the same goes with the 50s. Although with the 50L costing $1.5k vs $600 for the Nikon 50G. The same was seen when I compared the two 70-200, both the latest versions. While both were improvements of the old which make them neck and neck, I would rather use pick up the canon. It's hard to compare directly, but I was interested immediate satisfaction of the images and Canon gave me immediately response as to what I preferred as images that wow-ed me. Nikon is a solid performer, but like I have said previously I cannot feel that impressed, nor could I get the colors I needed. When shooting asians and my baby boy, that was immediately clear for me! I think this is very much a personal response, while I know some friend share the same feeling, I not out here to convince others of the same.

This isn't absolutely fair argument, since I returned the Canon 16-35L II and just stayed with primes. While on my Nikon I stuck with a more inferior lens and was happy, that being the 17-35mm, because I care about attaching ND filters at the time!

Again, i would agree with you about the D800E having the edge for detail, as you can see from what I typed above, this isn't the only thing I care about. I'm not saying this for you either, but what gives us the images we are after is what we will settle with in the long run. I haven't quite canceled my pre-order for the D800E yet, I'm realistic, but I know what gave me the results in the past. I also love my Nikon 24-70, which others have said they felt differently about it, and yet I cancelled my pre-order for the 24-70L II from Canon recently, because I want to stick with primes.

I know dynamic range is hot topic and how a lot of people care about this to varying degress and how to achieve this. I didn't think or see that the D700 gave me this advantage by a clear margin. So this was the main reason why I let my D700 go earlier on and kept chugging away with my 5D2.

I know my explanation is confusing as hell, but we are organic thinkers and beings, and art is always quite a subjective thing. Ultimately I felt Canon WOWed me more is what I come down to. So despite this minimal upgrade as it seems, I'm happy to continue the journey!

pophoto

Just read the 5D3 CMOS image sensor has a pixel pitch of 6.25 microns vs the D800 of 4.88 microns. I know this doesn't determine anything towards deciding factors, just another fun fact.

Neither will cook me breakfast, perhaps the new Nokia cell phone might, here's to hoping :p