Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Canon 5D Mark III announced, your thoughts

Post Thanks / Like

Canon 5D Mark III announced, your thoughts

The Canon 5D Mark II is a good camera. To get the best out of it you need good lenses (zooms) and they cost and are big/heavy. The same holds true for the Mark III.

What lenses would be your choice?

Mine are:

100mm f/2.8 IS Macro (top notch)
    70-200mm f/4 IS (very good)
    which primes would you add to the list.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Canon 5D Mark III announced, your thoughts

22mp and $3,500.......it's not for me. The price should have been more in line with the 5D2. IMHO, their pricing of new cameras and lenses is way out of line.

That said.....any lens that worked well with the 5D2 should be fine with the 5D3, right? It's not like Canon has upped their game to D800/36mp resolution with this camera.

I sure hope Canon got the autofocus right this time around......if not, they are in big trouble.

Frankly, I'm much more interested in a used 1D Mark IV at this point.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Any of the ZE Zeiss lenses—I know you have the Canon 100/2.8, but the Zeiss 100/2 is stellar, as is the revised 21/2.8 Distagon (but I have no personal experience with this model, but owned and loved the older one). I have owned the 35/2, the 25/2.8, 50/2 as well (all ZFs). You can't go wrong with any of them. They are quite heavy, but truly excellent mechanically and optically.

jcoffin

The resolution is close enough to the same as the 5DII/1DsIII that I'd be a bit surprised if it made much difference in lens selection.

Post Thanks / Like

Disappointed and relieved

I had hoped that the 5D3 would mark a step forward for Canon. Despite the fact that there are so many small changes - for me - it doesn't add up to much. It certainly doesn't add up to the UK asking price of 3,000.

I have a lot of money invested in Canon "L" primes which is putting a brake on any temptation I may now feel to jump ship to a Nikon D800.

And, really, I'm perfectly happy with my 5D2. It meets my DSLR needs in almost every way.

So I'm relieved that I won't be needing to find that 3,000 anytime soon.
    Geoff
    Too many cameras, too little time.
    www.pbase.com/gDallasK

Post Thanks / Like

I think them drawing in the same MP count as before but with new sensor and improved higher ISO is great news.

Firstly it is higher MPs than the Canon 1DX (18MP) and Nikon D4 (16MP), but yes it is lower than the D800 (36).
    I find that Canon decision to do this is better balance of MPs, it might be the sweetspot. Secondly the camera now has faster frame rates, as far as I understand it, the 5D Mark II was the choice of many wedding photographers around the world, and 36MP would be a tad too much!

One lens that I have glued to my camera is the 50mm f/1.2L, it has a lot of criticism on the internet, but in my books it is a stellar performer.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention - favourite primes!

35, 50, 85, 135 "L".

Aside from my Leica glass, the 35 and 85 are two of the best lenses I've ever owned.

The fact that I don't see anything equivalent in Nikon's lens lineup is what will keep me with Canon a while longer as it falls further behind the competition in terms of camera design and features.
    Geoff
    Too many cameras, too little time.
    www.pbase.com/gDallasK

Post Thanks / Like

The 35L is amazing, I don't think they need to update this lens, although please do
    (some rumors about an update are floating around)

The 85LII, they don't even call this glass, probably in the same class as diamonds and gems, personally I find it slow focusing, but perfectly fine for portraits. I do feel that focal lengths beyond 85mm do need stabilization though, although that means extra weight to already heavy primes. Again I go to my 50L every single time.

The 24mm LII and the TSE are both great! Nikons recent refresh of their primes is great, not quite 1.2 but 1.4 isn't far off.

I also dislike the price increase, but sadly you gotta pay to play! Also a term I dislike!
    If they had never released another camera ever again, I think I can still be happy with the 5D Mark II.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Although coming from the manual focus era, my eyes are no longer able to cope with MF on 24 MP DSLR resolution.
    On the other hand I like using MF lenses all the time.
    For that reason, I started using the NEX cameras with adaptors, because the NEX has a very nice color peak system in yellow (in my case) that really works.

Therefore, I hope that Canon can add a similar system to their cameras, and if they can do it, I will probably use the Zeiss ZE wide angle lenses. Now I have to stay with my very inferior 24/2.8, or the cery difficult to use TS 24mm (being MF). I hope my dreams may come true.

Seyhun
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Disappointed and relieved

I no longer shoot Canon, but quite frankly the 5D-III represents what more camera companies should be doing ... continually perfecting of a proven platform to better serve the category of user most likely to depend on it.

The images I've seen so far are spectacular, especially the higher ISO shots. No where as dismal as the D800 images published to date IMO. Kudos to Canon for not engaging in the meg race for a work-horse camera such as this. IMO, this range of resolution is what the D800 should have been as a successor to the D700.

Very well respected shooters have already worked with the 5D-III and claim the AF is on par with the EOS Pro bodies. That is a huge step for this camera over its predecessor.

Canon has added dual card slots ... about time. New processing engine. Improved dynamic range. Bigger, higher res LCD. etc. etc.

Small and large incremental improvements in almost every area of practical use to the working photographer and advanced enthusiasts all add up to one terrific advancement for real world photography ...IMHO.

Pretty cool that Canon now has speed-lights with radio built in. About time. Probably not great news for Pocket Wizard and Radio Poppers.

Price certainly feels steep ... whether that holds after the initial rush to buy remains to be seen.

Lenses? Fast L primes and the new 24-70/2.8-II would be my choice ... Yummy.

Congrats to Canon users!

(No, I am not swapping my Sony A900 stuff for Canon, I'm just fine where I am ... for now.)

-Marc
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I no longer shoot Canon, but quite frankly the 5D-III represents what more camera companies should be doing ... continually perfecting of a proven platform to better serve the category of user most likely to depend on it.

The images I've seen so far are spectacular, especially the higher ISO shots. No where as dismal as the D800 images published to date IMO. Kudos to Canon for not engaging in the meg race for a work-horse camera such as this. IMO, this range of resolution is what the D800 should have been as a successor to the D700.

Very well respected shooters have already worked with the 5D-III and claim the AF is on par with the EOS Pro bodies. That is a huge step for this camera over its predecessor.

Canon has added dual card slots ... about time. New processing engine. Improved dynamic range. Bigger, higher res LCD. etc. etc.

Small and large incremental improvements in almost every area of practical use to the working photographer and advanced enthusiasts all add up to one terrific advancement for real world photography ...IMHO.

Pretty cool that Canon now has speed-lights with radio built in. About time. Probably not great news for Pocket Wizard and Radio Poppers.

Price certainly feels steep ... whether that holds after the initial rush to buy remains to be seen.

Lenses? Fast L primes and the new 24-70/2.8-II would be my choice ... Yummy.

Congrats to Canon users!

(No, I am not swapping my Sony A900 stuff for Canon, I'm just fine where I am ... for now.)

-Marc
    Wanna swap your S2 by any chance? Ahh forgetabout it

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like the perfect Canon body, especially for a wedding shooter. As usual Canon have left out pro features like weather proofing, spot metering at anything but the center point, their new metering system, all that Nikon have included at a price point that is in the UK $1100 cheaper! That price difference would buy some nice new ram sticks and an extra hard drive to hold the bigger images which when downrezzed to 22 megapixels would probably equal the canon anyway.

Canon's new flashgun also has a heart stopping price, it's more than a 580II with a radiopopper PX but with about 700m less range and no ability to trigger strobes, I was worried about whether or not I would want to spring for the new flashguns and retire my RP's but not with that short a wireless range, at 30m it's the same range as their IR system!

All in all, very nice new stuff, in this economy though, I ain't upgrading with those prices...
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Wanna swap your S2 by any chance? Ahh forgetabout it
    Are you ...

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    Looks like the perfect Canon body, especially for a wedding shooter. As usual Canon have left out pro features like weather proofing, spot metering at anything but the center point, their new metering system, all that Nikon have included at a price point that is in the UK $1100 cheaper! That price difference would buy some nice new ram sticks and an extra hard drive to hold the bigger images which when downrezzed to 22 megapixels would probably equal the canon anyway.

Canon's new flashgun also has a heart stopping price, it's more than a 580II with a radiopopper PX but with about 700m less range and no ability to trigger strobes, I was worried about whether or not I would want to spring for the new flashguns and retire my RP's but not with that short a wireless range, at 30m it's the same range as their IR system!

All in all, very nice new stuff, in this economy though, I ain't upgrading with those prices...
    They have upgraded the weather proofing, although not to 1DX standards, and although that is nice, I don't really need it. Since I prefer the lighter weight of my 5D2 and it has done well without the proofing, but surely it nice for those of you who shoot in more adverse weather conditions!

Post Thanks / Like

Ben Rubinstein wrote:spot metering at anything but the center point,

Ben,
    where have you read it?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't know Ben, seems they weather proofed this pretty well (as well as the new speed-light). Perhaps they backed off the descriptive language to avoid diminishing the Pro body specs?

... Probably equal the Canon anyway." ... not at high ISO capture it won't. With all the choices available today, and the way things stand now, if a 35mm DSLR isn't really good at high ISO, then it is all but worthless IMHO. If I move off the Sony it'll be for this reason alone ... but I'm waiting until Sony drops the other shoe with the A99 before making that decision. If Nikon had made the D800 a 18 or 22 meg FF with great high ISO, it would have gone on the shopping list.

Didn't notice the distance specs on the new radio speed-light. 93' ... sure is anemic, however, the new transmitter sure beats the line of site STE-2. For most it'll be fine ...would be interesting if it included a relay ability. Should have been at least solid 200'.

However, as you mention, all of it is moot in this economy ... the commercial work that can be made with a 35mm DSLR is dismal and getting worse by the day. Almost every dime I'm making now is with MFD.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ceh View Post
    Ben Rubinstein wrote:spot metering at anything but the center point,

Ben,
    where have you read it?
    Can't remember sorry but I read that the 5D3 still can only spot meter at center point, unlike the 1 series. One of the things that has almost pushed me off to Nikon many times.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    ... Probably equal the Canon anyway." ... not at high ISO capture it won't. With all the choices available today, and the way things stand now, if a 35mm DSLR isn't really good at high ISO, then it is all but worthless IMHO.
    -Marc
    I had always dismissed the talk of downrezzing to reduce noise but it was when I was dispairing of working out how to make the Nex7 files look less noisy until I downrezzed to about 16 megapixels (just crop using specific pixel ratio in LR) and hey presto! I tried it on my 1Ds3 files whose iso 1600 i've always found to be very noisy compared to my 5D benchmark and when downrezzed to the 5D's 12.8 megapixels it wasn't just significantly sharper but also less noisy! I'd be willing to bet that the D800's files downrezzed to 22 megapixels will be a significant competitor for the 5D3 at high iso.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had always dismissed the talk of downrezzing to reduce noise but it was when I was dispairing of working out how to make the Nex7 files look less noisy until I downrezzed to about 16 megapixels (just crop using specific pixel ratio in LR) and hey presto! I tried it on my 1Ds3 files whose iso 1600 i've always found to be very noisy compared to my 5D benchmark and when downrezzed to the 5D's 12.8 megapixels it wasn't just significantly sharper but also less noisy! I'd be willing to bet that the D800's files downrezzed to 22 megapixels will be a significant competitor for the 5D3 at high iso.
    I agree with you here - MR at LULA showed this clearly with the NEX7 and NEX5 files - downsizing the A900 files to the 12mp equivalent of the D700 did the same for me. I'm also pretty sure that downsizing the D800 files to 22mp will make them as good as the 5D3. . . . . However I suspect that Marc will disagree!

Generally speaking this seems to be a very expensive upgrade - as you say, I'm not sure how many people will think that it's worth 600 more than the D800. Which is weather sealed as well . . . the big difference between saying it's weather sealed and not saying so is comeback if it gets water damage.

Just this guy you know

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Buying back in again to 35 this is not very exciting to me. Maybe it's just me.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The most exciting announcement is the wireless RF TTL flash system!

Hope others will follow in Canon's footsteps.

PS: I have no interest in Canon's DSLRs.

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously underwhelmed by this. It's like Canon have gone to sleep.

After a 20 year relationship with Canon i recently jumped ship to Leica M9 for mind blowing image quality.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A clear no go for me. Really disappointing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The price increase is startling. No concern to me tho, as I've bought my last weight-lifter's camera (Nikon D700), which I sometimes use if I need it, but have moved on to lighter weight and smaller gear. Those guys (C & N) can continue following the Kodak business model, as some need the latest and greatest, but I'm a dropout.

Post Thanks / Like

Got to agree, unless the image quality is mind blowing I wouldn't buy in to this.
    Plus i'd never go off the horrible image samples Nikon or any company for that matter post on their web sites. I will be interested to see what real world use shows us in terms of how the 5D MKIII and D800 perform. I'm willing to bet there's almost nothing in it when the ink hits the paper. All and all another ho hum couple of announcements, really.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is funny how we condemn the mega-pixel and mega-technology wars and then are disappointed when a company only improves a camera. I think the 5D mark III is going to be a fine camera. It is a pity the buying public is still in love with novelty.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW, has it never occurred to anyone that the examples these companies post are "real world" examples. They use the same light and objects that are in the real world. They use the same lenses too. Example from really great photographers are not really real world--they are exceptions. (A designer suit on Brad Pitt that makes him look great somehow does not do the same for me.)

Post Thanks / Like

I find it funny too. I'm sitting on two sets of glass as we speak, Nikon and Canon. Two things really stand out to me about Canon over Nikon.

i) Wow factor in the Canon lenses compared to the Nikon.
    ii) RAW processing the RAW files from Canon (5D2) are just that much more pleasing and easier to get it just where I want it, I don't find this true with Nikon. Although I find a place I can tolerate (not the best choice of words), and be happy with it!

It seems on paper the 22MP isn't very impressive, but those with the 5D2 will know what IQ it already has, and improvements are welcomed together with better AF and processing engine. I'm not trying to make a sale of why Canon is better than Nikon, I just don't want to dumb down what the 5D3 actually is.

I am as of now, still sitting with my Nikon glass, but if I know I can be happy with the 5D3, I will let them go. The only catch is, I will wait to see how the 800E performs in real world. I know I currently have a luxury of owning the two systems, however, I truly hope this is temporary and the Nikon glass will be the first to go!

The only major point is, I really really don't think it is worth the price increase.

Post Thanks / Like

The price will likely take care of itself once the initial rush is past and the 5DII inventory is depleted.

Having previously owned the 5DII, I'd say that if the III delivers in just two areas - upgrading the AF to 1D-class performance, and bringing to 22MP the DR and pixel-level file quality of the D700 at both low and high ISO - then the model iteration will have been more than justified.

Post Thanks / Like

Biggest attraction (improvement) will be AF performance on the 5D III; add dual memory cards and it's perfect for weddings. I have absolutely no love for my Canons, but sometimes it simply is the best tool for the job. I'll probably be updating my 1Ds Mark III with the 1Dx, maybe the 5D III, or both after the dust settles....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 22mp resolution is more than enough for me, but if the street price is close to that $3,499.....that's a $1,000 premium over a current 5D Mk II. Crazy. I have several friends who have sold their 5D2s because of unreliable autofocus. I'm not willing to take a chance on a 5D3 until I know the autofocus has been dramatically improved AND the price drops below $3k.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Canon has deleted the interchangeable viewscreens on this model.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    Canon has deleted the interchangeable viewscreens on this model.
    I hope that means the stock screen is suitable for manual focus....

of course its probably not which is a poke in the eye to zeiss.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This thread is rather dull. Might I liven it up by suggesting that with less noise the 5DmkIII will rival medium-format digital?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    I find it funny too. I'm sitting on two sets of glass as we speak, Nikon and Canon. Two things really stand out to me about Canon over Nikon.

i) Wow factor in the Canon lenses compared to the Nikon.
    ii) RAW processing the RAW files from Canon (5D2) are just that much more pleasing and easier to get it just where I want it, I don't find this true with Nikon. Although I find a place I can tolerate (not the best choice of words), and be happy with it!

It seems on paper the 22MP isn't very impressive, but those with the 5D2 will know what IQ it already has, and improvements are welcomed together with better AF and processing engine. I'm not trying to make a sale of why Canon is better than Nikon, I just don't want to dumb down what the 5D3 actually is.

I am as of now, still sitting with my Nikon glass, but if I know I can be happy with the 5D3, I will let them go. The only catch is, I will wait to see how the 800E performs in real world. I know I currently have a luxury of owning the two systems, however, I truly hope this is temporary and the Nikon glass will be the first to go!

The only major point is, I really really don't think it is worth the price increase.
    I think no matter how good the 5D3 really is, the Nikon D800E should be easily better. Cannot talk about percentage but the complete lack of AA filter in combo with 36MP of the new sensor with also higher DR - what should be wrong here?

What I do not really get - I also owned (own) both systems and while I always liked Canon L glass, I must say that Nikon is topping it if you consider their Nanocoated glass - so why do you say C glass is better? I surely value your opinion but I am just interested.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I believe we have to just wait and see how IQ turns out of the D800 and 5dIII.

My feeling is that the 22MP could be the better solution.
    I also think its great they have included their best AF in this camera since the best sensor lens combo is owrthless if focus is off.

And the Canon 50/1.2 and 85/1.2 are still impressive lenses.

So me, I find the Canon as interesting as the D800.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a friend who works in the only decent camera store here in Anchorage. When the 1Dx, D4 and D800 were announced, the shop's phone was ringing all day long with pre-orders. They haven't received ANY calls for the 5D3 today. At least here in Anchorage, not a good start for the 5D3.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I think no matter how good the 5D3 really is, the Nikon D800E should be easily better. Cannot talk about percentage but the complete lack of AA filter in combo with 36MP of the new sensor with also higher DR - what should be wrong here?

What I do not really get - I also owned (own) both systems and while I always liked Canon L glass, I must say that Nikon is topping it if you consider their Nanocoated glass - so why do you say C glass is better? I surely value your opinion but I am just interested.
    If comparing lenses, I'm only interested in how the images are drawn if I am shooting wide open from what is sharp to the out of focus region and bokeh, and closing down to get sharper images. This is my short answer and I know is very subjective.

While I hate to compare what isn't directly comparable for example what was 21MP vs 12MP. I also cared for what was also translated from the sensor of the images to Raw processing software, that being LR.

While seeing a lot of details matter to certain degree, what was coming out for say 35L vs 35G glass, I see no wow factor from the Nikon glass and the same goes with the 50s. Although with the 50L costing $1.5k vs $600 for the Nikon 50G. The same was seen when I compared the two 70-200, both the latest versions. While both were improvements of the old which make them neck and neck, I would rather use pick up the canon. It's hard to compare directly, but I was interested immediate satisfaction of the images and Canon gave me immediately response as to what I preferred as images that wow-ed me. Nikon is a solid performer, but like I have said previously I cannot feel that impressed, nor could I get the colors I needed. When shooting asians and my baby boy, that was immediately clear for me! I think this is very much a personal response, while I know some friend share the same feeling, I not out here to convince others of the same.

This isn't absolutely fair argument, since I returned the Canon 16-35L II and just stayed with primes. While on my Nikon I stuck with a more inferior lens and was happy, that being the 17-35mm, because I care about attaching ND filters at the time!

Again, i would agree with you about the D800E having the edge for detail, as you can see from what I typed above, this isn't the only thing I care about. I'm not saying this for you either, but what gives us the images we are after is what we will settle with in the long run. I haven't quite canceled my pre-order for the D800E yet, I'm realistic, but I know what gave me the results in the past. I also love my Nikon 24-70, which others have said they felt differently about it, and yet I cancelled my pre-order for the 24-70L II from Canon recently, because I want to stick with primes.

I know dynamic range is hot topic and how a lot of people care about this to varying degress and how to achieve this. I didn't think or see that the D700 gave me this advantage by a clear margin. So this was the main reason why I let my D700 go earlier on and kept chugging away with my 5D2.

I know my explanation is confusing as hell, but we are organic thinkers and beings, and art is always quite a subjective thing. Ultimately I felt Canon WOWed me more is what I come down to. So despite this minimal upgrade as it seems, I'm happy to continue the journey!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Cannot talk about percentage but the complete lack of AA filter in combo with 36MP of the new sensor with also higher DR - what should be wrong here?
    What is the difference in DR between these two cameras?

Post Thanks / Like

Just read the 5D3 CMOS image sensor has a pixel pitch of 6.25 microns vs the D800 of 4.88 microns. I know this doesn't determine anything towards deciding factors, just another fun fact.

Neither will cook me breakfast, perhaps the new Nokia cell phone might, here's to hoping
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    Got to agree, unless the image quality is mind blowing I wouldn't buy in to this.
    Plus i'd never go off the horrible image samples Nikon or any company for that matter post on their web sites. I will be interested to see what real world use shows us in terms of how the 5D MKIII and D800 perform. I'm willing to bet there's almost nothing in it when the ink hits the paper. All and all another ho hum couple of announcements, really.
    Not quite true, there have been in-depth reviews by pro level shooters of both the D800 and 5D-II already published ... people familiar with the systems who've been living with the cameras for months ... not some company camera tech shooting around the office where they work that you may be referring to.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Buying back in again to 35 this is not very exciting to me. Maybe it's just me.
    Same here, nothing more boring than buying out of necessity as opposed to passion ...get the stuff, check it, toss it in the bag, it's there when you need it ... zero connection.

I'll probably use the A900 until it crumbles in my hands ... unless Sony does a very high ISO FF camera with a OVF ... which will probably be never. Glad to be out of the Canon/Nikon camp and into the AF Zeiss camp. Heck, it took forever to get stellar copies of each ZA lens, and I just cringe doing all that agian with some other brand.

Have fun slugging it out in the Canon/Nikon 100 year war

Post Thanks / Like

Well after reading this many of you are not journalist types for me the upgraded af is huge . I do not know about more megapixels but this is a great specs for a street dslr day or night. I am hoping the leica m10 will be this kind of camera instead of a landscape camera. If I was still a full time music shooter this camera I would own to mof 6 fps for concert work is perfect and low light and good af is a photo journalists dream. Yes I own 24 35 50 85 135 l and yet still need good high iso . Look on my website under personal work in New orleans plenty of 6400 f1.4 shots . I carry a mk 1v for clubs when I would rather have something smaller the 5d mk11 was unusable in that situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can't remember sorry but I read that the 5D3 still can only spot meter at center point, unlike the 1 series. One of the things that has almost pushed me off to Nikon many times.
    Not time to read the entire thread, but if no once else has covered this, the metering system is actually quite a step up, and can base the exposure on what points are in focus by all points of the focusing system, be it one or several. Can't wait to test it ... sounds like it will actually handle situations like extreme backlighting, etc.

There is a LOT of new stuff (read about the design of the sensor closely) in this body ... it will hit the sweet spot for a lot of different types of shooters.
    wayne
    My gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm beginning to feel like a real Luddite.....I have grown very sceptical that all this whiz bang technology (61 point autofocus etc etc) will actually work as promised. There have been too many claims of "New and Improved!" in the past that did not pan out in the real world. I hope I'm wrong.......because I would really like to see Canon succeed with this camera (and the 1Dx).

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I'm passing. Too little, too late, too pricy. Some very important features missing. 22mp is ok though.
    Eduardo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uaiomex View Post
    I'm passing. Too little, too late, too pricy. Some very important features missing. 22mp is ok though.
    Eduardo
    There's actually a lot in this camera, although I think upgrade to any new camera should come out of necessity rather than lust

I wonder what important features are actually missing, since it is better than the last generation of cameras in every single way possible, I'm not a video guy, would it be something there? However, the pricey part, I definitely agree with, should be in line with before!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To bad no "E" model no AA filter.
    22mp with no AA filter would have been nice.
    I think Canon is really focusing on Video....
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    To bad no "E" model no AA filter.
    22mp with no AA filter would have been nice.
    I think Canon is really focusing on Video....
    I think it is nice to offer a camera to shoot both stills and video. It can also be said that Nikon and Canon have come a long way to combine the two into one camera with many features to find a good balance, and with little sacrifice. Although the D800E now offers features in video and still dept., yet offers AA cancelling filter and also clean HDMI feed whereas the 5D MkIII doesn't!

With that said, I personally only want a camera to shoot great stills and no video. Neither seem to want to offer that alone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    The price will likely take care of itself once the initial rush is past and the 5DII inventory is depleted.
    I couldn't say anything until today, but the 5D Mark 2 is not being discontinued and the price has been lowered to $2199 as of today. It remains in the channel. Canon still feels there is high demand for this camera in some segments. same strategy as Nikon and d700.
    wayne
    My gallery