Site Sponsors

Thread: Canon 60Da usage question

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Canon 60Da usage question

Since early 2009 I have been working with various Canon Bodies for night photography. I don't work with a Telescope but try to take traditional landscape shots at night with the use of the moon to illuminate both the sky and landscape. Depending on the situation I will most likely stack a series of shots and then work them all together later.

I have read as much as I have been able to find on the new 60Da, and am wondering if my style of shooting will benefit from it? Night skies, some milky way work, but mainly star trail shots. I regret to see the crop factor on the sensor, but I can figure out a lens to use.

It seems that the camera will be a limited run but before I put my name on one, I am trying to get a better handle what to expect. I have looked at the various nebula shots but all of those I am assuming were taken with a telescope tethered to a PC/camera. I am in the field and would not be able to carry all of that.

Any feedback from other night shooters is greatly appreciated.

Paul

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Canon 60Da usage question

The IR filter in the 60Da is keyed to allow light given off by interstellar hydrogen, thus allowing nebulae and other celestial objects to be more easily captured. Unless you happen to be schlepping that around too, I don't see much benefit other than the night skies in your shots looking way more interesting.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For landscapes at night, there is not much point. This is for emission nebula that peak in the hydrogen alpha line. But since you are not going to mount this, I am not sure there is much benefit.

Post Thanks / Like

What about for infra-red photography? If I'm not mistaken some people bought the 20Da for this purpose.
    Eduardo

screenwash

Quote Originally Posted by Uaiomex View Post
    What about for infra-red photography? If I'm not mistaken some people bought the 20Da for this purpose.
    Eduardo
    Thats a good idea. 40D too would be worth looking at for that