The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 5DMkII wedding video

Thank you for the link. Very impressive. This link does a good job of showing how well the two formats (still and video) can be used to compliment one another. I must admit I have thought it would neat to be able to capture HD video of wildlife through my 500mm, but never gave it any serious thought.

For what it's worth, I thought the 5DMkII felt just like the original 5D in hand which I think is good. I also like that Canon has updated and rearranged the controls to match the 40D and presumably the 50D. It drives me nuts to switch between my 5D and 40D and constantly hit the wrong button to change ISO because they are in different locations.

Mark

Mark

fotografz

Impressive given the source of the video. It didn't exhibit the jumpiness I've seen in other examples from the 5D-MKII.

What struck me fairly strongly was how the stills stood out with-in the video as being far more interesting than the motion parts. For the most part IMO, the video portions looked staged and stilted, and the stills less so. This will be the challenge of using video for still shooters with less motion experience beyond the novility factor.

(Mark, thanks for the evaluation comment that the new MKII feels like the original ... since I hated the tactile experience of the original, I now feel I'm not missing anything : -) Different strokes for different folks.) What I do miss are those fast L primes!

Ben Rubinstein

For the most part IMO, the video portions looked staged and stilted,
Not to mention that the video was shot with a huge video head and tripod and only with staged settings. The video quality was good, having that little DOF was nice. What this video shows more than anything else though is that you can use a DSLR for video if you are running a production, not sure about a wedding with real people, certainly can't shoot both at the same time, he wasn't.

(Mark, thanks for the evaluation comment that the new MKII feels like the original ... since I hated the tactile experience of the original, I now feel I'm not missing anything : -)
I hope I didn't mislead you. When I was referring to the 5DMkII feeling like the 5D original I was referring more to size, weight, and way it fits my hand. However, since I didn't really notice any differences in feel between the two cameras it may be safe to say the tactile feel is similar just please don't hold me to it. You may want to check it out for yourself.

Mark

kevin

I saw this on the DWF and I still don't get it. To make visually appealing video, you need hot lights. The very notion of rigging a church with hot lights seems sacrilegious to me, and I'm not a religious person.

You need hot lights, there's no audio, and it only works well on a tripod. Hmmmm.....:shocked:

nostatic

The push on the stills ("Ken Burns effect") looks horrible. Not sure if that is an artifact of conversion to flash though.

I do both still and video, and have to admit that this is intriguing. But I also have to wonder about how realistic this is from a production standpoint. If someone was starting from scratch and bought the 5Dmk2 and all those lenses, they'd be able to buy a very nice HD video camera that is designed from the get-go to do motion. And have enough left over to get a still camera and a lens or three. I'm having a tough time figuring out if this is a paradigm shift or just stupid pet tricks...