Site Sponsors

Thread: Canon 5DMkII wedding video

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Canon 5DMkII wedding video

A Three Act Play, a bridal video short by Explorer of Light/PrintMaster Bruce Dorn.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Canon 5DMkII wedding video

Thank you for the link. Very impressive. This link does a good job of showing how well the two formats (still and video) can be used to compliment one another. I must admit I have thought it would neat to be able to capture HD video of wildlife through my 500mm, but never gave it any serious thought.

For what it's worth, I thought the 5DMkII felt just like the original 5D in hand which I think is good. I also like that Canon has updated and rearranged the controls to match the 40D and presumably the 50D. It drives me nuts to switch between my 5D and 40D and constantly hit the wrong button to change ISO because they are in different locations.

Mark

Mark

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Impressive given the source of the video. It didn't exhibit the jumpiness I've seen in other examples from the 5D-MKII.

What struck me fairly strongly was how the stills stood out with-in the video as being far more interesting than the motion parts. For the most part IMO, the video portions looked staged and stilted, and the stills less so. This will be the challenge of using video for still shooters with less motion experience beyond the novility factor.

(Mark, thanks for the evaluation comment that the new MKII feels like the original ... since I hated the tactile experience of the original, I now feel I'm not missing anything : -) Different strokes for different folks.) What I do miss are those fast L primes!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For the most part IMO, the video portions looked staged and stilted,
    Not to mention that the video was shot with a huge video head and tripod and only with staged settings. The video quality was good, having that little DOF was nice. What this video shows more than anything else though is that you can use a DSLR for video if you are running a production, not sure about a wedding with real people, certainly can't shoot both at the same time, he wasn't.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    (Mark, thanks for the evaluation comment that the new MKII feels like the original ... since I hated the tactile experience of the original, I now feel I'm not missing anything : -)
    I hope I didn't mislead you. When I was referring to the 5DMkII feeling like the 5D original I was referring more to size, weight, and way it fits my hand. However, since I didn't really notice any differences in feel between the two cameras it may be safe to say the tactile feel is similar just please don't hold me to it. You may want to check it out for yourself.

Mark

karrphoto

Not video, but Jeff Ascough posted some samples on his blog from low light and he's impressed..

http://jeffascough.bigfolioblog.com/category/747

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this on the DWF and I still don't get it. To make visually appealing video, you need hot lights. The very notion of rigging a church with hot lights seems sacrilegious to me, and I'm not a religious person.

You need hot lights, there's no audio, and it only works well on a tripod. Hmmmm.....

Post Thanks / Like

The push on the stills ("Ken Burns effect") looks horrible. Not sure if that is an artifact of conversion to flash though.

I do both still and video, and have to admit that this is intriguing. But I also have to wonder about how realistic this is from a production standpoint. If someone was starting from scratch and bought the 5Dmk2 and all those lenses, they'd be able to buy a very nice HD video camera that is designed from the get-go to do motion. And have enough left over to get a still camera and a lens or three. I'm having a tough time figuring out if this is a paradigm shift or just stupid pet tricks...