The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

1Ds Mark III raw files : can someone help ?

proenca

Hi there,

I'm on the Leica camp but thinking on jumping to the Canon camp again.

I started with Nikon ( Fuji S2 actually ) and then moved to D100, D1, D1x, D2h, D2x and then switched to Canon - where I had only a briefly ( 8 months ) with a Canon 1D and 1Ds.

Even today, playing with the files, I'm always happier with the Canon files, colour rendition.

I still have a D2h and a D2x and I simply hate the D2x files. The colours are mushy, hate them really. I actually enjoy the D2h files.

Now, back to this post : I'm on the usual fence for 5D3 and 1DsIII. Problem is, I'm a sucker for 1D bodies, size ( not the weight though ) and knowing I can drop them from a 20stories high. I only touched a 5D ( mark I ) and I hated at the time. Felt "plasticky". 1D feels like your little personal tank.

So : can some nice soul send me a few RAW files of a 1Ds3 ? If someone could throw in a mix of wide angle raw + high iso raw ( 800 and 1600 ) would be super. the more the merrier.

Would really like RAW so I can play with them in LR4 and see the "elasticity" of the files and if the noise is as they say.

Best and thanks for the help

ps : send them to my email, goncalo "AT" proenca "DOT" eu

proenca

Sent you 5 raw files, hope your inbox can handle them, 23 meg each email!
Ben, thank you so much ! Impressive as the 1Ds qualities, strengths and weakness still are the same since my old and trusty 1DS MKI : noise in the shadows still bite, highlights hold lots of info ( before holded quite info, now they hold TRUCKLOADS ) and sharpness is fantastic.

Good exposure on your files, ISO 1600 perfectly usable, 800 is perfect.

Have a few 5DMKIII files, at low iso its the same, from there up to 800 pretty much the same, then 5D takes off.

Thank you again for your time to send the files - you made my life MUCH WORSE I have to say - I thought the 1Ds would fail miserably against the 5D, but its quite comparable.

Interesting facts : Im not a fan of the D3x ; have TONS of raw files of the D3x and it doesn't do any "zing" to me. Actually don't like the noise pattern.

D800E is another story - impressive shadow noise ( or absence of ) but... the lens.

Its all about the lenses.

While Nikon have the 14-24 which is stellar, Canon's 16-35 II is quite good but then Canon have the magic 85 1.2 II L which *might* make me forget my Leica Noctilux. And then we have the tele's.

I prefer Canon lens lineup rather than Nikon... oh well.

Sorry for the ranting and Ben, once again, thanks for the files.

Chris Giles

The 5D3 still feels a little cheap but it's build quality is very good.

TBH, apart from the body size the 5D3 beats the 1Ds3 at everything. Everything. Other than focusing at F8

Ben Rubinstein

I have been playing a lot with raw files from both the D800 (which we are buying for the studio, the e version) and the 5D3. I still prefer the tonality/colour of the 1Ds3 over the 5 series, heck did a comparison to the 1DX as well, I don't know what canon do to their 1 series sensors but I like it a whole lot better than anything else. The 1DX has the same magic of the 1Ds3 but of course with better DR and a lot better noise. I'd buy it like a shot if I wouldn't have to sell too many body parts to make it happen! I like the colours and tonality of the 5D3 still over the D800 for people but then I've never liked Nikon colour. Personal thing of course like all these things.

I just wish I could get that 1 series look in something other a massive brick! :D

I just wish I could get that 1 series look in something other a massive brick! :D
Have you looked into medium format digital?:ROTFL:

I'm curious to hear how the D800 compares to your current Phase arsenal. I'm with you on Nikon color. I have no experience with the 1Ds3, but I see 5DII files all day and they don't do anything for me. That said, there is a pretty high probability of me buying a 5D3 just for the 17 T/S.

proenca

Well today went to a shop to see a 5d mark iii, d800 and they had a 1ds as well.

I downloaded tons of raws as well and Nikon samples still don't make me sing. Neither the tons of d3x raws as well. Dont like them full stop.

5d I found it HORRIBLE the grip area, I just couldn't hold it properly and I played with it for ages.

1ds feels so natural and right. And I love the files. Still a winner for me.

Got a deal with a h3d but having buyers remorse over the limitations ( tripod a daily necessity, 800 top speed, 400 top Iiso, bulk size of the thing.. )

Cheers

proenca

The 5D3 still feels a little cheap but it's build quality is very good.

TBH, apart from the body size the 5D3 beats the 1Ds3 at everything. Everything. Other than focusing at F8
hi Chris,

I know ; but video - I'm not interested. Resolution pretty much the same. Focusing the 5D3 is better but then again, 1DS3 is quite competent and I REALLY need focusing ( sports, etc ) I'm better off to a 1DMK4.

ISO - 5D is better, very evident from 1600 and upwards.

But the handling.. its the handling that kills me. really. it simply feels so alien in my hand... were the 1Ds fits like a glove ( albeit weights a bit more than a glove :) )

Ben Rubinstein

The focusing system in the 5D3 is more advanced than the 1Ds3 or the 1D4. It's the same one as in the 1Dx.

Did you try the 5D3 with grip? Apparently far superior to any other accessory grip canon have ever made for feel and ergonomics.

I always used to shoot my 5D's with grips till I got fed up of the size and weight. It took a couple of weeks but now I hate the feel of them with a grip! My longest lens is an 85mm however and I use mostly primes, with a longer lens such as a 70-200L you're going to want that grip no questions asked! Perhaps try the 5D3 with grip. That said the ergonomic build of a 1 series is a pure joy in the hand, nothing compares. It does however come with a big hike in weight, noticeability, etc. You cannot ignore that.

Just to be really annoying, the files out of the 1Dx have all that 1Ds3 magic but with far better high iso and better DR, it has a useable screen and live view, 3 'C' modes (heaven!), 12fps and a deep buffer (the 1Ds3 buffer is very frustrating) and the exposure meter is apparently like nothing seen before on a canon. If you're selling Leica then you could probably afford the 1Dx, I wish I could!

Last edited:

Ben Rubinstein

Have you looked into medium format digital?:ROTFL:

I'm curious to hear how the D800 compares to your current Phase arsenal. I'm with you on Nikon color. I have no experience with the 1Ds3, but I see 5DII files all day and they don't do anything for me. That said, there is a pretty high probability of me buying a 5D3 just for the 17 T/S.
We are shooting Leaf at the moment on phase cameras and lenses. The phase camera in horrible junk and to be honest the lens build isn't much better, the lens bokeh and colour is IMO also behind where they seem to have thrown the resources, sharpness and contrast over everything else. That said it's relatively irrelevant to us for what we are doing, copy work. That is the 'look' is irrelevant, the build quality drives me crazy. When a P1 Schneider 80mm lens cannot hold it's manual focus position at a 30 degree downward angle for longer than 30 minutes, that's crazy. Though not as crazy as our 120mm macro which cannot hold focus position when pointed downwards on a copy stand for more than 5 shots or so. A macro that can't be used on a copy stand except in AF. World has gone crazy, especially given the ridiculous prices of these lenses. Lots of sharp yes, would love them to have a bit more than that at the price to be honest. Haven't even mentioned the horrible leaf shutter sequel of the 80mm Schneider, the non internal focusing, the suboptimal edge sharpness, etc.

Or in other words, I doubt the nikon can be worse...