The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon EOS-M mirror-less camera

pophoto

I know we've heard this is the consumer version with the pro version announcement later in the year. However, so far no tilting screen either, no stabilization for 3rd party lenses. AF seems to be fairly slow to lock when compared to current mirrorless offerings. Best thing so far is the APS-C sensor and size, however, when it comes to APS-C sensors Canon seems to be behind Nikon in their offering in Noise handling.

I really hope after waiting so long for Canon to bring a mirrorless to the market, when they release the pro-version, that it will not be a disappointment in the respect that they release 'just another camera'. I've collected too many of "these" cameras already.

"Give me more!" :)

It almost seems that you jam a somewhat fast zoom lens with an APS-C inside (think Sony RX100) it may be overall better! I love the idea compacts are remaining that way, just their sensor size are increasing.

jonoslack

No peaking
No IS
No EVF
boring lens selection (not so small either).

It's an also ran NEX but 3 years late.

I can only assume that they don't want to compete with their dSLR entry level offerings, but the result of that would seem to be that they won't compete with anything!

zzzzzzzzzzz

V

Vivek

Quite a few links here with videos:

Canon EOS-M now officially announced! Already with preorders! | Mirrorless Rumors

My thoughts:

Easily better than Nikon 1 and Pentax Q/K.

Look forward to the next model (swivel LCD and EVF?) as the 1.6X crop may fare better with some of the manual focus lenses I have than the 1.5X crop sensor in the NEX.

The touch screen looks really useful as is the flash hotshoe.

Samsung NX is now bound feel the pinch and it will help Sony.

hot

Hmmm, with 22mm + adapter list price under € 1000

Big minus: no moveable display ... Canon you finished development 5 to 12 ... okay, it's a half NEX7 ... or a quarter ...

jonoslack

My thoughts:

Easily better than Nikon 1 and Pentax Q/K.

Look forward to the next model (swivel LCD and EVF?) as the 1.6X crop may fare better with some of the manual focus lenses I have than the 1.5X crop sensor in the NEX.

The touch screen looks really useful as is the flash hotshoe.

Samsung NX is now bound feel the pinch and it will help Sony.
HI Vivek
my post was filtered through considering whether there was anything of interest to me (there isn't).

But on a more serious note I feel that there is rather a disconnect of thinking here.
If they want a simple camera for people who don't necessarily think of themselves as photographers, then really, an APSc sized sensor isn't necessary, perhaps going down to 1" is overkill, but a smaller sensor means much smaller lenses, and for most folks who are going to put pictures online or print up to A4 sized, they really don't need the larger sensor.

If they are really making a serious attempt at the small sensor camera market, then the lenses announced don't say so - it seems to me to be a simple copy of the NEX launch 3 years ago (with a kit zoom and a wide(ish) angle lens). Of course, they can bring out a professional grade body, but there is still the issue of the lenses.

As a camera for using third party lenses, it's not going to be that great - focus peaking and an EVF can be added with later models, but in body image stabilisation really is a killer punch in this area, and I don't see how that can really be added at a later date.

Bringing out an entry level model to start with is always a mistake, in that it switches off a whole raft of potential customers who then stop looking.

Both Canon and Nikon's approach to the competition from m43 and Sony seems to he half-assed at best.

V

Vivek

Hi Jono,

While there may be similarities to the current NEX-F3, the EOS-M appears better. The earlier NEX cams (3, 5, 5n, C3) all are crippled having no flash hotshoe and no useful touch screen.

The NEX-F3 handles well. However, the way it is built makes you try it at eye level. There is no EVF. A pity.

Lenses: Let us see if the 22mm f/2 is is as horrible as the E 16/2.8 and the 18-55 as bad as the E 18-55 (at the wide end) before passing judgements based on the looks alone.

[Edit: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-m/ a couple of comments on the lenses there. Also notes the presence of a fairly quiet shutter with electronic first curtain shutter. Offered in NEX-F3 and is absent in NEX-3, 5 and C3]

The flash system Canon have are really versatile and useful. The video formats offered are useful as well.

I am happy to see the EOS-M for many reasons-

Sony, instead of trying to follow Samsung have someone else to think about.

I do not think the toy cams from Nikon and Pentax need to be compared. They were dead on arrival, AFAIC.

Last edited:

Diane B

In reading this article
Canon's EOS M arrives: a $799.99 APS-C mirrorless camera competitor | The Verge
it appears to me that Canon sees it for primarily video. Also that it will be marketed and sold in the US through more knowledgable specialty stores such as B &H where it says there is more guidance for photographers.

Canon, according to this, is marketing it differently in Japan and they plan to give it a 'splashier' release and expect it to be one of their best selling cameras there.

I have no interest in purchasing it, even being a longtime Canon person, but have interest in justr what other manufacturers are doing with mirrorless. I read that Canon isn't even referring to it as 'mirrorless' so it won't be confused with the m4/3 or NEX.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Raist3d sure is doing some lovely stuff with that toy Pentax Q. My K-01 is my favorite street camera coupled with the beautiful 14mm Pentax DA (no adapter needed) and a CV 21 viewfinder - but then I'm daft (first to admit it )
This one is not going far for Canon - too little to late.

Keith

jonoslack

Raist3d sure is doing some lovely stuff with that toy Pentax Q. My K-01 is my favorite street camera coupled with the beautiful 14mm Pentax DA and a CV 21 viewfinder - but then I'm daft (first to admit it )

Keith
Hi Keith
quite right - and although definitely not for me the Nikon V1 also has a real place, with it's lightning fast c-af.
I don't think you're daft either - I actually saw a K-01 in the wild (latitude festival) I though it looked like a great solution as long as you didn't want an EVF.

All three of these cameras (Q, K-01, V1) have something different and useful (even if some of it's a bit niche) - my problem with the EOS-M is that it doesn't seem to be offering anything original or different - it just looks like they're saying
"Oh - we can do that too . . . Now let's get back to the serious stuff of selling dSLRs"

all the best

RichA

Kind of a weak offering

Like a cross between Samsung's NX200 and an entry-level Olympus mirrorless. No EVF, apparently limited control features. However, at least they didn't hobble it with a tiny sensor like Nikon did and they gave it a metal body which is a nice touch.
The higher-end models will likely come later. Meanwhile, it's smaller than the G1X!

V

Vivek

"Oh - we can do that too . . . Now let's get back to the serious stuff of selling dSLRs"
Hi Jono,

May be right (and no one doubted that they can not do it in the first place). Key here, unlike the KO1 and the NX, is the camera registry of 18mm. Similar to those of NEX and X Pro 1.

That alone makes it very versatile.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi Jono,

While there may be similarities to the current NEX-F3, the EOS-M appears better. The earlier NEX cams (3, 5, 5n, C3) all are crippled having no flash hotshoe and no useful touch screen.

The NEX-F3 handles well. However, the way it is built makes you try it at eye level. There is no EVF. A pity.

Lenses: Let us see if the 22mm f/2 is is as horrible as the E 16/2.8 and the 18-55 as bad as the E 18-55 (at the wide end) before passing judgements based on the looks alone.

[Edit: Canon EOS M hands-on preview: Digital Photography Review a couple of comments on the lenses there. Also notes the presence of a fairly quiet shutter with electronic first curtain shutter. Offered in NEX-F3 and is absent in NEX-3, 5 and C3]

The flash system Canon have are really versatile and useful. The video formats offered are useful as well.

I am happy to see the EOS-M for many reasons-

Sony, instead of trying to follow Samsung have someone else to think about.

I do not think the toy cams from Nikon and Pentax need to be compared. They were dead on arrival, AFAIC.
WRT 18-55 we only can hope it is far better than the APSC-DSLR 18-55 from Canon, because this one is really for the garbage!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Looks like a camera without a purpose to me. Both the Nikon and the tiny Pentax look like better solutions. Small sensors will only get better, but Canon will always have to struggle with bigger lenses, particularly the zooms, for the larger sensor. The best compromise still seems to be m4/3.

jonoslack

Looks like a camera without a purpose to me. Both the Nikon and the tiny Pentax look like better solutions. Small sensors will only get better, but Canon will always have to struggle with bigger lenses, particularly the zooms, for the larger sensor. The best compromise still seems to be m4/3.
Hi Jorgen
I think so as well.

I just found an interesting sensor size comparison site:

Sensor Size Comparison

if you like the 4:3 aspect ratio of µ43, then the Canon shows few advantages, but has the disadvantage of requiring a larger image circle (and therefore larger lenses) because of the 3:2 ratio.

all the best

M

Moreorless

By that line of logic why should anyone be investing in anything but compacts though?

The Pentaxs just seems like a gimmick to me, I'm sure they have some uses but the advantges over a DSLR for the K-01 or a compact with the Q seem very limated.

The Nikon just doesnt seem to gain enough from putting a sensor that small onto it if you ask me, the body is really no smaller than the M or the NEX and the lenses arent much smaller than m43.

I'd say alot depends on the kind of system your looking at aswell, m43 is aiming to be a broad system with a full range of lenses so the ability to make them smaller obviously helps. The Canon and the NEX on the other hand seem to be mostly targetting users who'll be happy with either the kit zoom or a pancake prime while catering to the higher end market with there DSLR/SLTs, I doubt you'll ever see a 24-70mm 2.8 equivilent for example on either the M or the E mount.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Actually the Canon is not so different from the NEX series, as they both will "suffer" from larger lenses.

m43 seems to be really the sweet spot here.

Besides that I do not see any advantage of the Canon compared to the OMD :confused:

JMaher

I would personally love to love the Canon as I have a good selections of lenses, multiple flash systems, etc. However it really looks like a very weak offering. No viewfinder, large lenses, no IS, etc.

Unless it really surprises me I will pass.

Jim

J

jto555

Did Canon launch a camera today? All I see is a sea of beige mirrorless cameras.
Come on Canon, are there any photographers on your design team or are they just engineers? Where is the Leica killer or even a Fuji X Pro 1 killer?

John