The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

anyone with a leica and eos mountable leica lens for a shoot tomoorow or Monday a.m.

docmaas

I got my 5D back from max max yesterday and am in Fremont tomorrow and probably early Monday before going back to Fort Bragg. If someone wants to meet for a couple of hours and do some comparison shooting I can probably make some time.

I took a few jpgs with it today and so far have seen only a very little aliasing in some hair. A finely woven sweater shows no evidence of aliasing at all. I'll post a few pics in a bit but be warned they are nothing to write home about.

Mike

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Mike:

I'm considering this same conversion. The reason is, to my eye the hot-rod has more inter-pixel sparkle, a clarity that is missing on the stock 5D. No, it doesn't make the 5D a MF back or even DMR, but it does improve it notably --- call it 50% there. The downside, at least on the full rez files I've studied, is the added artifacting. The good news is it only occurs in a narrow range of high-frequency detail and usually is such that it would go un-noticed in a print.

My biggest hold up is putting $500 into a camera I hardly use any more... But then again, if I did the conversion, maybe I'd use it more? Decisions, decisions...

PS: I'm across the bay in Los Altos, and would love to meet with you (even though I don't have any R glass anymore), but it's that time of year and I have family visiting from out of town --- maybe next time!

Cheers,

AGeoJO

You are too far north for me, otherwise.... I also have a "spare", slotted for travel, 5D body that could be converted. I am still considering.... Please keep us updated on the results. Thanks.

AGeoJO

Mike,
Your pictures look just fine but it is difficult to render opinions on images that were not taken under the same shooting conditions. If I decide to have my 5D converted, I would take a few shots before sending the body in and do the same after and compare the before and after shots. Both times of the same subject and preferably using the same lighting setup.

Joshua

mark1958

MIke. I would be interested in doing this too. I live a mile or two from Jack. However, this weekend is not good for me either.Mark

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Maybe I could swing a few hours tomorrow, say mid morning in Alviso? I could bring my stock 5D and my two best lenses, the 90 TSE and 200 L.

docmaas

Joshua,

Joshua,

I'll be in Irvine for Chinese New Years February 6th. Maybe we can get together then and shoot the two 5Ds with the same lenses. I have the 17-40, 24-105, 24mm TS-E, and 70-300 DO.

Hopefully by that time I will also have a Sigma SD14 converted to Canon Ef mount.

I did the max max conversion as soon as I got the camera because coming from the Sigma world and having seen some of Mark McAlmonts images I was pretty sure it was something I wanted to do. I do have some old mtf tests of the 5D with some xenotar lenses that I can quasi repeat sometime in January. I expect that the Koren lens target I used will show the moire up pretty well. Interestingly I compared them to the SD14 when I did them and the 5D system mtf was slightly better than the SD14 even with the AA filter. That was a different 5D than this one though.

Mike

docmaas

Maybe I could swing a few hours tomorrow, say mid morning in Alviso? I could bring my stock 5D and my two best lenses, the 90 TSE and 200 L.

Jack,

That will probably work for me. I need to confirm with my wife and daughters. I'll get back to you later today.

If we do it I'll be content to let you do the testing. I only have the camera, a flash and a 24-105 with me. If you have an extra plate for your tripod to put on the camera it'll make things a little faster.

I only suggested Leica initially because that seemed to be the cameras to which the hotrod conversion would be most applicable.

I agree with the sparkle and see it a lot in kodak 14x images. Unfortunately the kodaks have too many other problems to be a consideration for me.

The Sigma of course has many of thoes same qualities. Many folks with Sigmas attribute it to the true color pixel but I think the lack of AA filter is just as important if not more so.

Later,

Mike

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well I just opened my box on a brand new 5D this morning and not excited about it really but i would love to see some good side by sides done and if it looks good i will jump all over doing it than shave the mirror at the same time. than get a couple R lenses for the future R10 and use this in the meantime.

Guy Mancuso

Jack,

That will probably work for me. I need to confirm with my wife and daughters. I'll get back to you later today.

If we do it I'll be content to let you do the testing. I only have the camera, a flash and a 24-105 with me. If you have an extra plate for your tripod to put on the camera it'll make things a little faster.

I only suggested Leica initially because that seemed to be the cameras to which the hotrod conversion would be most applicable.

I agree with the sparkle and see it a lot in kodak 14x images. Unfortunately the kodaks have too many other problems to be a consideration for me.

The Sigma of course has many of thoes same qualities. Many folks with Sigmas attribute it to the true color pixel but I think the lack of AA filter is just as important if not more so.

Later,

Mike
Well Jack has a few good canon lenses the 90 TSE for one and even that doing a side by side should reveal what we want to see between the hot rod version and the stock version. i would love for you guys to also go after a shot that you know will moire.

AGeoJO

Joshua,

Joshua,

I'll be in Irvine for Chinese New Years February 6th. Maybe we can get together then and shoot the two 5Ds with the same lenses. I have the 17-40, 24-105, 24mm TS-E, and 70-300 DO.

Mike
Mike,
I will be on the other side of the world that time, in Africa or Tanzania to be exact.... Sorry. I would like to hook up with you though. I do go up to Central Valley from time to time, maybe we can get together near Tracy or so. Better yet, the Sandhill Crane season is still going. Maybe near Lodi some place?

Joshua

docmaas

Mike,
I will be on the other side of the world that time, in Africa or Tanzania to be exact.... Sorry. I would like to hook up with you though. I do go up to Central Valley from time to time, maybe we can get together near Tracy or so. Better yet, the Sandhill Crane season is still going. Maybe near Lodi some place?

Joshua
Joshua,

I'll be going up to Seattle probably on the 28th but will be back at the latest second week in January. May go to PMA in Vegas followed by Death Valley then to Irvine.

When were you thinking of?

Mike

AGeoJO

Mike,
It is likely that I will be up in the Central Valley in the 3rd week of January. I will email you around the 10th when I get back from Austin, TX. Too many plans, not enough time :(.

docmaas

Mike,
It is likely that I will be up in the Central Valley in the 3rd week of January. I will email you around the 10th when I get back from Austin, TX. Too many plans, not enough time :(.

I know the feeling. Looking forward to your mail. I should be able to make that time frame. My sister lives in Rio Vista so I could stay there a couple of days.

Best,

Mike

W

workingcamera

You blokes blow me away… this is really interesting stuff … one thing which has caused me to resist the temptation to get into Canon digi is the muddiness (for lack of a better description) of the files. As Jack pointed out further up the thread they kinda lack that sparkle. The way I see it is the devil is very much in the detail with Canon files. And I’m looking for something with an edge… It not that they are bad as such with some subjects material they just lack that extra verve which pulls an image together into something a little more special. Its not quantifiable but it is tangibly there. It’s a bit like Leica lenses, they are not necessary better than other makes, but they have something.

Hope this drivel is understandable to y'all. Then again I might be a bit mad.

Guy Mancuso

Completely understood. i just shot a couple frames with my new 5D and the 200 2.8 , nice sharp lens for what i need it for but the files put me asleep. They need a lot of processing