The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EOS-M First User Impressions

sagar

Just received EOS-M with 22mm and handled it for an hour or so before placing battery for full charge. Here are my first impressions mainly from handling prospective

Build Quality:
One word Superb! Camera feels solid, strong. I would rate is build quality above Panasonic GF/X series, Sony NEX 6/7 Series or even better than earlier Canon EOS Rebels. Fit and finish, buttons and dials is really good quality just feels right.

Size/Handling:
It’s much smaller than I thought somewhere like GF3. Even with 22mm, size will nearly equal GF3+20mm. No one will imagine it an EOS D650 in a small box. When you hold it in one hand you can nearly touch and change any controls with your thumb. Handling wise, I am finding it much better than Olympus PEN series and about same as GF1 (which I still like)

Lack of Buttons/Touch Screen:
After using EP3/NEX for short period I was very skeptical of touch screens on Cameras. But to my surprise this is one area which I think Canon really got right. You can change any control (ISO/WB/Metering/Image Size ro anything you can imagine) in one or two "touches". Its like an Apple design. Considering Camera does not have an EVF, I think once you are used to it you will be able to change the controls at equal speed if not faster than dedicated buttons. You really need to play with it for an hour or two to get used to it. This is like Blackberry to IPhone transition.

Screen Quality and touch sensitivity itself is excellent probably best in class in current cameras.

Auto Focus:
AF of camera is already beaten to death in many online forums and so called review sites. AF speed as not good as EM-5 or Nikon V1. I would say its similar to GF1/EPL2 in good light as light falls lens hesitates a bit more before settling.

Probably because of online chatter, my expectations were very low and I just wanted to check how Canon can go so wrong. But I was pleasantly surprised and Now my opinion has changed. I think issue is, online chatter is mostly originated from Amateurs and Gear Enthusiasts, but that's not the market which Canon is targeting with this model.

I think Canon is onto something BIG, they are just creating a market space between Compacts and Rebel so it has minimum impact to Rebel in short term. The moment they fix AF Speed and release few primes, it could be serious threat to smaller player.

I have not taken any photos yet, but will share photos and actual shooting experience in couple of days

Last edited:

pophoto

AF speed as good as EM-5 or Nikon V1. I would say its similar to GF1/EPL2 in good light as light falls lens hesitates a bit more before settling.

The moment they fix AF Speed and release few primes, it could be serious threat to smaller player.

Thank you for sharing, however, two very misleading remarks! I would say there are already enough online videos that show off (or lack of) the AF speeds: DigitalRevTV and Engadget, both showed hands on videos of the AF.

Sales are already very good in Japan, to which I should say I'm surprised, but NOT, since consumer markets quite easily buy into a brand before deciding it's not really for them. I'm totally in the Canon camp, since I'm currently invested with them. Although, the EOS-M really needs to release higher end models before anyone can take them more seriously! AF is one thing, faster processors, and an EVF, even an articulating screen. Thus far, I'm still waiting, but little expectation!

sagar

I did a correction. What I meant is AF is "not" as good as E-M5/V1 but more like GF1/PL2. Also note my remarks are based on my own experience and its not as bad as all online chatter is lead us to believe

Thank you for sharing, however, two very misleading remarks! I would say there are already enough online videos that show off (or lack of) the AF speeds: DigitalRevTV and Engadget, both showed hands on videos of the AF.

Sales are already very good in Japan, to which I should say I'm surprised, but NOT, since consumer markets quite easily buy into a brand before deciding it's not really for them. I'm totally in the Canon camp, since I'm currently invested with them. Although, the EOS-M really needs to release higher end models before anyone can take them more seriously! AF is one thing, faster processors, and an EVF, even an articulating screen. Thus far, I'm still waiting, but little expectation!

pophoto

I'm sure your longer term experience help some people decide and dispel any myths. Although like I said there are online videos that DO show the AF speeds contrary to chatter! Unfortunately, I think the speeds will matter!

rich_

Hi Sagar, I thought i'd add to your breakdown..

I bought one of these today to compliment my M9-P as something I don't mind taking out with me where I may get a beer spilt over or sand in my face

Seems pretty good, I liked the fact there was no EVF as I appreciate not having to use a viewfinder all the time.

The ergonomics are a bit awkward at first for me. I feel somewhat silly holding the pancake lens with one hand and the body in the other. I think I will adjust slowly.

The glass seems quite good. It's night time here so the ISO is high in order to get a decent shot which is degrading the quality. I will give it a better run out tomorrow in the day to compare to my Zeiss and Voigtlander glass.

Talking of which the high ISO output seems at least equal to my previous X2. I have a feeling this 22mm lens isn't up to the Leica glass but time will tell

Focus speed? Well it seems as good as a decent P&S to me. Not much slower to an X2 if at all. I haven't tried an OMD or Nex- but for the price and size this seems great.

It costs 6180HKD (£495, $792USD) out here with the 22mm lens and EF Mount- I thought that was pretty good value! Tin Cheung Cameras also threw in a free OEM Battery, Screen protector and Sandisk Extreme SD card which was kind.

More updates to come if you wish.

Thanks
Rich

algrove

SO i just looked at the specs, etc. From what I gather it does NOT take any of the standard 4/3rds lenses?

If not what a shame.