Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: From Leica to 5DIII

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: From Leica to 5DIII

Mmmh,
    I am a bit undecided. In the end I would like to have a 21mm lens.
    However the Canon 20mm seems to not be that great. Everybody raves about the Zeiss. But it is MF. On the other side I can see how for such a wide lens one can maybe do a lot with hyperfocal/estimate distance focusing.
    The option would be a 24/1.4 (or just use my 24-70) but I think overall I would prefer 21mm.
    If a new 16-35 came out this could be an option as well.
    The Zeiss 18mm is a little too wide for my taste.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have to say after never shooting with a 5D3 prior to today I am just blown away. Ease of focus, nice exposure and not all that heavy. I used the 24-105/4 all day and loved that lens.

I also got the 70-200 and believe I would never part with it as long as I own Canon which right now seems like it will be a long time.

Stephen, you and others convinced me to give it a try and for that I say THANKS!

There might be a lot of M and R lenses going on the block in the near future. Not all of them, just some of them.
    Last edited by algrove; 22nd January 2013 at 18:17.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have my 24-105mm f/4 arriving this Thursday (odd reasons why I didn't go with the newer 24-70, but costs was one of them!) and I'm very excited, since I mostly shoot Canon primes (24 to 135) now with Canon and the Sigma 35mm which Stephen Patterson showed what a first class lens it is.

Before that with Nikon, I was with the trinity zoom lenses. I have to say I haven't been disappointed with either system and what they offer, and the 5d mark III, is a great camera, except in the lowest of lighting conditions, but I am rarely there!

My only Canon zoom as of now is the 70-200L II and you are right, it's a keeper if not a little on the heavy side. The sharpness, color and the IS are wonderful, and as a qualitative measure to my eyes, a whole step up from Nikons offering which I had owned and really liked!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I am also still quite happy with the 5dIII.
    Focus is good and fast, nice viewfinder, and with the good high ISO I often just use it in auto-iso and dont have to think about ISO. Also the camera fits very very well in my hand and feels very balanced. I can shoot it one handed if I want.
    My fav lens is still the 50/1.2, followed my 24-70II and 70-200/4.0IS.
    All 3 seem very good for my taste, but the 50 is the one with a "special" look.

Maybe the Canon IQ is "only" 98% of the Leica magic lenses, but it is much faster and easier to use. So for action and low light the Canon is my choice mot of the times.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just ordered mine with a 50L 1.2, will take a couple of weeks to get to me but then hoping to really just enjoy!
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

I shoot Leica and Canon for film and Canon for digital, tho I may add the M240 for my DRF. Canon L lenses are in most cases great and in some cases breathtaking. With lenses like the 24-70 II, optical quality is just a non issue. Mine is a typical copy and tack sharp from wide open across the range. At 24mm it hardly improves as already so sharp and at 70mm it gets a bit better a stop or so down.

The 5D111 is a stunning camera. Sure, the D800 does have the better DR, but the 'utility package' of the 5dIII is IMO far superior when you need it to do what a rangefinder cannot: AF, frame rate and general responsiveness (along with a silent shutter mode that is really effective).

I am looking at DRF for one reason: when I shoot street or certain types of documentary, I carry the camera one handed for hours and hours at a time. The 5D III is just too heavy for that to be a pleasure.

The difference between the 5D II and III is vast IMO and IQ is also better, especially at higher ISO even with RAW files. The look is far superior, even tho you only gain a stop or two of real high ISO improvement... they just look so much nicer.

Superb camera, Canon. Just need to nail the DR in the Mk IV.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 85 1.2 L II and its a beauty. Its the only lens I have needed for head and shoulders portrait work for some time.

All the time I have shot Leica M for documentary, I have carried a Canon Eos 1n around just to be able to shoot portraits with this lens. You'd have to be daft as a brush to try to use Leica M for this sort of work. The Canon is so much faster and more reliable in terms of focus and composition for quick 'on the hoof' portraits when you only have 10-20 seconds. Can't go fluffing focus with your 75 Summilux as you can't re-shoot!

An example on film here: http://www.thomasstanworth.com/album...-10634171-1#38
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

thomas, gear talk aside, the "Russians and Royals" series is superb - thanks for sharing the link.