The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

From Leica to 5DIII

ptomsu

Workshop Member
A 1.2/50 and 1.2/85 are my most missed lenses for my D800E :)

Also I was not very excited with the 2.8/24-70 Nikkor, reason I sold it long time ago!

Having said all that, the sensor of the D800/D800E is so stellar, that it simply smokes all what Canon has today. Hope Canon can come up with something similar soon :rolleyes:

Paratom

Paratom, the 24/1.4L II is my goto landscape and never had any complaints! However, while i did do some indoor shoots at f/1.4 at the beginning, I believe i haven't visited that aperture since, maybe something worth asking before you buy!

Rumor mill has it that a new 16-35 or 14-24 will be arriving at the end of year, so worth the consideration especially since you have the new 24-70L II. I am sure the new replacements are to improve the resolution of the lens as priority, something I felt strongly lacking about the 16-35L II, and more so in edge to edge degradation.

SLR Lounge also mentions the 24-70L II has greatly improved AF speeds and accuracy and no focus shifts, improvements I will welcome in any new Canon lens update. So while the 50/1.2 remains on my camera 90% of the time, it does suffer from focus shifts which is annoying for critical focus, a lens I will welcome an update soon since I use it so much!
I read about the focus shift but I dont feel a real problem with my 50/1.2. I use it mostly in the f1.4-4.0 range.
I would be much more interested in an improved 16-35 than 14-24 because I find 16-35 focal range much more usefull.
Have to say I am extreme happy with the 24-70II and the 50/1.2 at the moment.

Regarding the 5dIII sensor - I dont doubt the Nikon has maybe more DR, but I can not see that the Canon sensor is bad in DR. And colorwise I still prefer the Canon skin tones (in LR the faithfull profile seems to work very good for my taste).

algrove

Hi Lou,

Because of my choice of using Canon as a backup to my Leica I have decided to stick with AF lenses with the 5D3. Currently I am using the Sigma 35/1.4 as my ultra low light lens, as when combined with the 5D3 it's an extremely powerful combination.

I have said for a long time that with Leica the reason to buy fast glass is DOF control, and not low light performance. Until the Leica bodies are capable of clean shooting above ISO1250 the Canon and Nikon dSLRs have a huge advantage. We will see what improvements the new M brings, but it still is going to have a max ISO of 6400...well below the 5D3.

The 24-105L is a great "walk around" lens. Not fast, but the IQ is very good and it's a bargain compared to the 24-70 f/2.8 II. I used the 85/1.2L II with great results, but traded it for the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II because it's an amazing lens and gives me a capability I don't have with the Leica. I may revisit the 85/1.2, but my thinking now is to leave these type of portraits to the Leica with 0.95 Noctilux.

The rainy season will soon be here, and I am looking forward to getting out with my Canon and capturing images that I would have never gotten with the Leica. I know some like Jaap have taken the M9 on safari in the jungles of Africa in terrible conditions, but I just can't risk that sort of water damage living on the far side of the moon (aka central China).
Thanks for your comments Stephen-
Sorry to hear you dumped the 85 so fast when I have not even gotten mine as yet. The 70-200/2.8 IS II is also coming, but I assume its a brute. Then again not that the R 105-280 is not a brute and then there is the 280/2.8. It needs an alu suitcase just to carry around! Everyone who has shot Leica and gotten the 5D3 for "backup" says do not expect the Leica quality to be present in Canon lenses. That is my BIG worry. Here a Winter downpour can occur at any moment so the Canon weather sealing will be welcomed. Better to get a Canon shot than no Leica shot at all!
Any plans on a wide AF zoom?
Lou

Zlatko Batistich

In my brief experience these past few weeks with the Canon I am finding the size the biggest drawback to the system. It's not a huge issue, and the use of a sling strap helps greatly. But the size and weight of not only the camera but the lenses means I end up carrying more gear. The 24-105L is a great "walk around lens" but I find the 35/1.4 and 85/1.2 don't get left behind very often, as IQ trumps everything else for me, and compared to hauling my wife's shopping it really is no big deal.

I'm going to add a wide to the mix (16-35 or 17-40) for shooting at Angkor Wat this week, so tomorrow it's off to the camera shops of Bangkok.
This often happens when photographers buy the biggest lenses, and sometimes too many of them: they complain that the system is too big & heavy. But the Canon system is not necessarily that big & heavy. The Canon 85/1.2 is the biggest and heaviest 85. The Sigma 35/1.4 is even bigger and heavier than the Canon 35/1.4.

Happily, Canon offers some very good small lenses:
24/2.8 IS
28/2.8 IS
35/2 IS
40/2.8 STM pancake
85/1.8
Any of the above will "shrink" the system.

Possible substitutions for smaller size & weight include:
24/1.4L instead of the 16-35/2.8L
24/2.8 IS instead of the 24/1.4L
35/2 IS instead of the 35/1.4L
85/1.8 or 50/1.2L instead of 85/1.2L
135/2L instead of the 70-200/2.8L IS
70-200/4L IS instead of the 70-200/2.8L IS
100/2.8L IS instead of any 70-200

The 5DIII with the 40/2.8 STM pancake feels like a much smaller camera.

The new 35/2 IS and the 85/1.8 would make a great "walkaround" kit.

And the new 24-70/2.8L II, although rather large, is so good that it can substitute for a number lenses. It is smaller & lighter than the original 24-70, and offers better image quality.

Some of the small lenses are older designs and not so good, like the 20/2.8, 28/1.8, the old 28/2.8 and the old 35/2.

StephenPatterson

As I said IQ trumps the size penalty of the Canon system, and I really don't mind carrying the 5D3 with the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II or any other lens. The biggest negative I have found is that people see a dSLR and instantly think "Pro Photographer", especially with that white elephant of a lens attached.

For small and discrete nothing can top the M9 with 35 Summilux FLE.

algrove

Hey, Zlatko-

Do you know how to negotiate the 5D3 menu system to be able to use Leica R lenses in order to get focus confirmation? I have an EOS-R adapter coming from a guy in Stephen's neck of the woods who says his new dandelion adapter works with the 5D3. It's just that not being Canon savvy, I thought maybe you might have some good suggestions. Thanks.

Paratom

This often happens when photographers buy the biggest lenses, and sometimes too many of them: they complain that the system is too big & heavy. But the Canon system is not necessarily that big & heavy. The Canon 85/1.2 is the biggest and heaviest 85. The Sigma 35/1.4 is even bigger and heavier than the Canon 35/1.4.

Happily, Canon offers some very good small lenses:
24/2.8 IS
28/2.8 IS
35/2 IS
40/2.8 STM pancake
85/1.8
Any of the above will "shrink" the system.

Possible substitutions for smaller size & weight include:
24/1.4L instead of the 16-35/2.8L
24/2.8 IS instead of the 24/1.4L
35/2 IS instead of the 35/1.4L
85/1.8 or 50/1.2L instead of 85/1.2L
135/2L instead of the 70-200/2.8L IS
70-200/4L IS instead of the 70-200/2.8L IS
100/2.8L IS instead of any 70-200

The 5DIII with the 40/2.8 STM pancake feels like a much smaller camera.

The new 35/2 IS and the 85/1.8 would make a great "walkaround" kit.

And the new 24-70/2.8L II, although rather large, is so good that it can substitute for a number lenses. It is smaller & lighter than the original 24-70, and offers better image quality.

Some of the small lenses are older designs and not so good, like the 20/2.8, 28/1.8, the old 28/2.8 and the old 35/2.
From the experience in the past size was one factor how I choose my lenses.
I really see the 24-70 as a 24,35,50 and 70 in one lens.
I also rather decided for the 135/2.0 and 70-200/4.0IS over the 2.8 zoom. In most cases I know if I need to do low light shooting or if I am in good light and want a zoom.
And so far I am quite happy with 85/1.8.
In case of the 50 I decided however for the 1.2 Version.

But to be honest - I dont find 2-3kg of gear that much of a pain. Most offen my 2 year old daughter who wants to sit on my shoulders is the bigger workout than the camera gear.

Look what kids carry to school on their back.
I think the compromises regarding the user interface of small cameras are often overseen these days. For example I really like a top display on the camera body to see ISO/f-stop/exptime without having to activate the rear display. Sometimes we forget about those things.

Zlatko Batistich

Hey, Zlatko-

Do you know how to negotiate the 5D3 menu system to be able to use Leica R lenses in order to get focus confirmation? I have an EOS-R adapter coming from a guy in Stephen's neck of the woods who says his new dandelion adapter works with the 5D3. It's just that not being Canon savvy, I thought maybe you might have some good suggestions. Thanks.
No, sorry, I don't know how to do this. I've only tried a Pentax screw mount to EOS adapter and it gave no focus confirmation, but it had no electric contacts. I'm guessing that if the adapter has electric contacts, it will make the camera "think" that an EOS lens is mounted and is set to manual focus. If that's so, then nothing in the menu system will need to be changed in order to get focus confirmation.

W

wogg

I also use both systems. On Canon, I'm agreed that trying to use manual focus for anything 35mm or longer is not fun unless you are just doing static setups.

However, on the wide side, the one manual focus lens I retain is the Zeiss ZE 18mm 3.5. It's really compact, smaller than a 35L, and because it is so wide, the focus issue is not such a big deal since DOF is sooooo deep and mostly you'll be shooting infinity focus, the manual focus app is a non-issue. Highly recommended.

on flickr

Paratom

Mmmh,
I am a bit undecided. In the end I would like to have a 21mm lens.
However the Canon 20mm seems to not be that great. Everybody raves about the Zeiss. But it is MF. On the other side I can see how for such a wide lens one can maybe do a lot with hyperfocal/estimate distance focusing.
The option would be a 24/1.4 (or just use my 24-70) but I think overall I would prefer 21mm.
If a new 16-35 came out this could be an option as well.
The Zeiss 18mm is a little too wide for my taste.

algrove

I have to say after never shooting with a 5D3 prior to today I am just blown away. Ease of focus, nice exposure and not all that heavy. I used the 24-105/4 all day and loved that lens.

I also got the 70-200 and believe I would never part with it as long as I own Canon which right now seems like it will be a long time.

Stephen, you and others convinced me to give it a try and for that I say THANKS!

There might be a lot of M and R lenses going on the block in the near future. Not all of them, just some of them.

Last edited:

pophoto

I have my 24-105mm f/4 arriving this Thursday (odd reasons why I didn't go with the newer 24-70, but costs was one of them!) and I'm very excited, since I mostly shoot Canon primes (24 to 135) now with Canon and the Sigma 35mm which Stephen Patterson showed what a first class lens it is.

Before that with Nikon, I was with the trinity zoom lenses. I have to say I haven't been disappointed with either system and what they offer, and the 5d mark III, is a great camera, except in the lowest of lighting conditions, but I am rarely there!

My only Canon zoom as of now is the 70-200L II and you are right, it's a keeper if not a little on the heavy side. The sharpness, color and the IS are wonderful, and as a qualitative measure to my eyes, a whole step up from Nikons offering which I had owned and really liked!

Paratom

I am also still quite happy with the 5dIII.
Focus is good and fast, nice viewfinder, and with the good high ISO I often just use it in auto-iso and dont have to think about ISO. Also the camera fits very very well in my hand and feels very balanced. I can shoot it one handed if I want.
My fav lens is still the 50/1.2, followed my 24-70II and 70-200/4.0IS.
All 3 seem very good for my taste, but the 50 is the one with a "special" look.

Maybe the Canon IQ is "only" 98% of the Leica magic lenses, but it is much faster and easier to use. So for action and low light the Canon is my choice mot of the times.

turtle

I shoot Leica and Canon for film and Canon for digital, tho I may add the M240 for my DRF. Canon L lenses are in most cases great and in some cases breathtaking. With lenses like the 24-70 II, optical quality is just a non issue. Mine is a typical copy and tack sharp from wide open across the range. At 24mm it hardly improves as already so sharp and at 70mm it gets a bit better a stop or so down.

The 5D111 is a stunning camera. Sure, the D800 does have the better DR, but the 'utility package' of the 5dIII is IMO far superior when you need it to do what a rangefinder cannot: AF, frame rate and general responsiveness (along with a silent shutter mode that is really effective).

I am looking at DRF for one reason: when I shoot street or certain types of documentary, I carry the camera one handed for hours and hours at a time. The 5D III is just too heavy for that to be a pleasure.

The difference between the 5D II and III is vast IMO and IQ is also better, especially at higher ISO even with RAW files. The look is far superior, even tho you only gain a stop or two of real high ISO improvement... they just look so much nicer.

Superb camera, Canon. Just need to nail the DR in the Mk IV.

turtle

I have the 85 1.2 L II and its a beauty. Its the only lens I have needed for head and shoulders portrait work for some time.

All the time I have shot Leica M for documentary, I have carried a Canon Eos 1n around just to be able to shoot portraits with this lens. You'd have to be daft as a brush to try to use Leica M for this sort of work. The Canon is so much faster and more reliable in terms of focus and composition for quick 'on the hoof' portraits when you only have 10-20 seconds. Can't go fluffing focus with your 75 Summilux as you can't re-shoot!

An example on film here: http://www.thomasstanworth.com/album/afghanistan_russians_and_royals?p=1&s=UA-10634171-1#38