Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: From Leica to 5DIII

Post Thanks / Like

From Leica to 5DIII

Wow. Stunned. Amazed...

I've been a Leica guy for a very long time, but I needed another camera to address some of the M9's shortcomings which were only exaggerated since my move to China. While the IQ of the M9 is absolutely fantastic I found myself struggling in very low light, even with fast glass, because I couldn't push the ISO up beyond 1250 without causing a snowstorm. I also realized that a weather sealed camera would be a plus (it rains a lot in SE Asia), along with a faster buffer and faster fps continuous shooting. Autofocus was something I really didn't want, as the last one I used (Canon D60 ten years ago) really struggled and I didn't like fighting to achieve my focus point.

So last week I was in Hong Kong to shoot a charity squash tournament and the organizer offered me the use of his extensive Canon kit (1Dx, 5DIII, 24-105L, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 300/2.8). Well I told him that I was sure I could capture what he wanted with my M9s, but heck he offered and here was all this new and lovely gear and I had several days to get familiar with it before the event and...well, I just ran out of excuses not to try.

Color me amazed...autofocus that works like it's supposed to; fast and accurate. And the high ISO. WOW. I thought I was "king of the night" with the Noctilux at ISO1250, but using the 5DIII with a 35/1.4 or 50/1.2 is a whole other experience.

Before leaving Hong Kong I had purchased a 5DIII with 24-105L kit, the new Sigma 35/1.4 and the 85/1.2L II. The 35 and 85 are very "Leica like", and the 24-105 is a great walk around lens. At this point I am most comfortable with prime lenses, and the IQ does seem superior, but I know there are several other outstanding zoom lenses out there. I don't shoot wildlife or sports, mainly because every forest creature here in China has been eaten and the only organized sports is professional baijiu drinking, but the 70-200 IS II was one of my favorite lenses for capturing portraits, so I might have to find one for the kit. Far and away the 85/1.2L II was the lens that sold me on Canon glass being every bit the equal of Leica, at least where this lens is concerned.

I have no plans to stop using the Leica, but I cannot believe how far Canon has come.

OK, time to take more images. Here are a few of my captures that "pushed me over the edge". The first three are with the 85/1.2L and the last two are with the 70-200 2.8 IS II

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: From Leica to 5DIII

Saving up for one myself. After all these years a canon full frame camera in a small form factor which does pretty much all, pro AF, pro build, a good amount of megapixels. No the DR isn't as good as the Nikons ditto the prices but the colour, tonality and resolution are good. Looking forward for mine.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

So I am not alone adding a 5d to my Leica equipment. I felt like I was the only one choosing a 5diii over a D800. I got my 5dIII one week ago.
    Great AF, great viewfinder, very good colors.
    In my case not the 85/1.2 but the 50/1.2, 135/2.0 and the 24-70.
    So far I really like it. There are things when a fast AF and good high ISO make life much easier. Specially with 2 small kids.
    And I agree that some of those L lenses are really very good.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, I had a chance to shoot briefly with a friend's 135/2L on my last day in Hong Kong, and when I had a chance to review the images I was blown away by the IQ. This is definitely a lens that will find it's way into my bag.

I had originally thought I would get the 50/1.2L, as I shoot quite a bit with the Noctilux for portraits, but once I tried the 85/1.2L that was it. The new 35/1.4 Sigma was the lens that came closest to giving me that 35 Summilux ASPH look, although as many have pointed out the bokeh isn't as nice. It is however tack sharp and the colors are very nice. It's also an amazing lens for shooting in the evening, combined with the ultra high ISO capabilities of the 5DMIII. When the sun goes down this lens goes on.

I'm off to Thailand and Cambodia in a week, so the new Canon is going to get a workout alongside the Leica. At this point I don't have anything for the Canon like my 21 Super Elmar M or 15/4.5 Heliar, so the Leica will be doing most of the temple duty. Of course those are the hardest lenses to frame with the rangefinder, so perhaps I will have to find a solution at a Canon shop in Bangkok. I realize the 16-35 or 17-40 will not perform like the 21SEM wide open, but stopped down the results I've seen look pretty nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Stephen, congratulations on the new gear! I used to be a Nikon and then Leica owner, and now the only gear I feel I really need are my Canons! That said the OMD and the Sigma DP2M, have been fun to shoot with for that something light.

I own mostly primes with the exception of the 70-200L II, however, I'm very interested to learn how you feel about the new Sigma 35mm Art series. Also I can highly recommend the 50L f1.2, if that focal length captures your fancy, it stays on my camera 95% of the time!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StephenPatterson View Post
    Tom, I had a chance to shoot briefly with a friend's 135/2L on my last day in Hong Kong, and when I had a chance to review the images I was blown away by the IQ. This is definitely a lens that will find it's way into my bag.

I had originally thought I would get the 50/1.2L, as I shoot quite a bit with the Noctilux for portraits, but once I tried the 85/1.2L that was it. The new 35/1.4 Sigma was the lens that came closest to giving me that 35 Summilux ASPH look, although as many have pointed out the bokeh isn't as nice. It is however tack sharp and the colors are very nice. It's also an amazing lens for shooting in the evening, combined with the ultra high ISO capabilities of the 5DMIII. When the sun goes down this lens goes on.

I'm off to Thailand and Cambodia in a week, so the new Canon is going to get a workout alongside the Leica. At this point I don't have anything for the Canon like my 21 Super Elmar M or 15/4.5 Heliar, so the Leica will be doing most of the temple duty. Of course those are the hardest lenses to frame with the rangefinder, so perhaps I will have to find a solution at a Canon shop in Bangkok. I realize the 16-35 or 17-40 will not perform like the 21SEM wide open, but stopped down the results I've seen look pretty nice.
    I first wanted to get the 16-35 +50 + something longer.
    I was a little concerned about the 16-35 IQ wide open. And for the beginning 24mm of the 24-70 is wide enough.
    I also do not plan to replicated all focal length I have for Leica.
    I want to keep it flexible and simple. And I dont want to add manual focus lenses. If 24 wasnt wide enough I would probably give the 16-35 a try even though the repuatation is not as consistent as some other L-lenses.
    The only MF lens I could think of was a TS-lens. But I find 24mm not wide enough and 17mm too wide.

I would be interested how the 85/1.8 holds up against the 85/1.2. Have you tried both?

How do you get along with the 5diii IQ compared to Canon?
    Do you use lightroom for convertion?
    Cheers,Tom

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Of course those are the hardest lenses to frame with the rangefinder, so perhaps I will have to find a solution at a Canon shop in Bangkok.
    Stephen, if you need to buy gear in Bangkok, I can recommend very warmly AV Camera, Home. They have an amazing selection of gear in the little shop and you'll be taken very good care of. Talk with the owner, Khun Mana, who sits at a desk at the bottom of the store, and say that Jorgen sent you there. The easiest way to get there is to take BTS Sky-train to Saphan Taksin (Taksin Bridge). The shop is in a small back street to the left of Robinson Department Store around 50 meters north of the station.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom,

The 85 1.8 is an excellent lens and can hold its own with the 1.2. Of course that assumes you don't need 1.2 or 1.4. I have shot a friends 1.2 and I own the 1.8.

I wasn't impressed with the 16-35 when I borrowed it.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the 16-35 and the 17-40 are essentially equal, if you don't need the speed of the 2.8 then save the money and get the 17-40. At f8-11 they are identical. At f4 they are also really close and the defining characteristic is not aperture but focal length, they both perform differently wide open at different focal lengths, the weakest usually being the long end.

I found the 16-35 a little short sometimes, with the 17-40 you can get away with not having a 50 in the bag. And the extra stop is not really missed. Depends on how you shoot, but having a little more dof at f4 is sometimes a blessing compared to fast lenses. Unless you have a subject dead center in the frame nothing much is in focus wide open on the 16-35.

As for the 85, altho the L is really in a category of its own, the 1.8 is every bit as good from f2 on down. And again, nothing is in focus at 1.2- you get tired very quickly of that when 2.8 usually is sufficiently thin dof for portraiture for example. And the slower lens goes in the bag so much easier....I bought the 100 f2 after comparing them all, finding the 85 was a little wide when you got in tight. Distorted. Its more of a three quarter to bust portrait lens whereas the 100 is bust to head type lens, possibly the 135 is better even still for rendering naturally.

Post Thanks / Like

I had returned my copy of the 16-35L II just after a day of testing. I just wasn't crazy about IQ and for the money I felt all it does is offer you the versatility of the range and very little in IQ to be desired. I have the 24L II and the 24L TSE II but unfortunately let this one go! Both primes simply had better IQ, despite lacking the obvious range, I kept the one with AF!

The 85L II, is sharp from Wide open, and although criticized to have slow focus, the is only true from one extreme to another, it's not a gun down lens, it is in a class of its own portrait lens. The 85L II is a super sharp lens, I'm sure the is helped by the sheer amount of glass and further being in tele category!

The 50L can be considered soft at f1.2, although nothing a slight sharpening in Lightroom won't dramatically improve with next to nothing lost! Fast focusing, it the lens I love most, and find the crop perfect for indoors and outdoors, chasing after kids etc (AF speeds).
    Last edited by pophoto; 1st December 2012 at 12:00.

Post Thanks / Like

As already said many times, the 1.2/85 II is maybe the best lens of the Canon system at all! It is so good that it would be a reason for me to buy into Canon again - this time either with 5DIII or 1DX.

BTW, I really liked my 16-35II but maybe the 17-40 would be more versatile.
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    Tom,

The 85 1.8 is an excellent lens and can hold its own with the 1.2. Of course that assumes you don't need 1.2 or 1.4. I have shot a friends 1.2 and I own the 1.8.

I wasn't impressed with the 16-35 when I borrowed it.

Jim
    I never felt my 90/2.8 Elmarit was too slow... so f1.8 would be fine for me for a 85mm lens. Plus I would have the 50/1.2 when it is really dark.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shhhhhhhhhh

Just this guy you know
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stephen,
    Did you ever consider the 6D? To me, that camera seems closer to a Leica in functionality:

- It's slightly smaller and lighter
    - Has exchangeable focusing screens, making manual focusing of wide aperture lenses easier
    - Has, from what has been shown so far, better high ISO (it's a different sensor)

In addition, it adds a couple of goodies, like built in GPS and WiFi.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Stephen,
    Did you ever consider the 6D? To me, that camera seems closer to a Leica in functionality:

- It's slightly smaller and lighter
    - Has exchangeable focusing screens, making manual focusing of wide aperture lenses easier
    - Has, from what has been shown so far, better high ISO (it's a different sensor)

In addition, it adds a couple of goodies, like built in GPS and WiFi.
    Hi Jorgen,

I did consider the new Canon 6D, but opted for the 5DIII for several reasons. Again my choices were based upon a Canon dSLR to supplement my Leica M9, not replace it, so that definitely influenced my decision making process.

The strongest factor for me in selecting the 5DIII was the autofocus system, as it is the same as the 1Dx and is simply stunning. It has already shown that I can capture sharp images, especially moving subjects, which would be very difficult with the Leica.

Next was the construction and weather sealing of the 5DIII, which I feel fall between the top of the line 1Dx and 6D. I have never felt comfortable using my M9 in the rain, which can go on for weeks at a time here. And while the new Leica M body is weather sealed my very expensive lenses are not, so I wanted a weather sealed "system", and an S2 was not in the budget.

The interchangeable focus screens of the 6D is nice, but so is the LCD overlay on the 5DIII viewfinder. If I use MF lenses with the 5DIII they will most likely be at the wide end, where I am setting hyper focal distance, so perfect MF is not as much of an issue.

GPS was not really an issue, as the maps for remote parts of China are terrible, but WIFI would have been a welcome feature for the remote shooting via an iPhone. Being able to rig the camera on a boom while focus and shutter are controlled from an iPad is brilliant, and no doubt this feature will show up on the 5DIV. It's too bad Canon does not offer an inexpensive WIFI module like Nikon has for the D800.

I did also consider the D800, and there were many things I liked about the camera, but the huge RAW files were a negative and I preferred the lens choices from Canon.

The 6D has such an outstanding price point I think many people will find it an excellent second camera to go along with a 5DIII.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    I never felt my 90/2.8 Elmarit was too slow... so f1.8 would be fine for me for a 85mm lens. Plus I would have the 50/1.2 when it is really dark.
    Tom, I love the 90 Elmarit-M, and it's a great portrait lens at f/2.8, although it doesn't really sharpen up until f/4.

As for the 85/1.2 vs 85/1.8, well, it's all about the shallow DOF and how it's used, but I think you would find the 1.2 an amazing portrait lens.

I tested the 50/1.2L vs the 85/1.2L II and felt the 85 was definitely the sharper lens, especially wide open. The 35/1.4 was my choice for really dark situations, simply because I can hand hold the focal length at much slower shutter speeds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 6D has such an outstanding price point I think many people will find it an excellent second camera to go along with a 5DIII.
    I even consider the 6D to go along with a D600, as a platform for alternative glass (I have several F-mount bodies and lenses for my day-to-day work), a kind of OM-6D

Where are you going in Thailand and Cambodia?

Post Thanks / Like

Flying into Bangkok on the 10th, seeing friends and shooting for a few days there, then Siem Reap and Battambang before heading down to Phnom Penh on the 18th through 29th. Home for New Year. Like most Chinese my wife is Buddhist and Christmas is some weird holiday created by shopping malls. Just another day at the office for her.

We have a small group of expat photographers from around SE Asia who are all meeting up to enjoy the sunshine and fantastic shooting opportunities in Cambodia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cambodia is really something. I go there several times every year. Back there again later this month.

Flying into Bangkok on the 10th, seeing friends and shooting for a few days there, then Siem Reap and Battambang before heading down to Phnom Penh on the 18th through 29th. Home for New Year. Like most Chinese my wife is Buddhist and Christmas is some weird holiday created by shopping malls. Just another day at the office for her.

We have a small group of expat photographers from around SE Asia who are all meeting up to enjoy the sunshine and fantastic shooting opportunities in Cambodia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stephen:

Even though I am not a Canon shooter anymore, there are a few of the Canon lenses that can provide Leica quality images. I used my Canon 1D and 1D MkII shooting sports so the criteria may be a bit different, but as you have discovered some of the Canon lenses are stellar. The best bang for the buck is probably the 85mm f1.8. In my case the 85mm f1.2 was too slow focusing, though there may be a new version of it with a better AF motor, I just haven't followed Canon lately.

The 135mm F2 L probably has to be the most Leica like of the lenses, being very sharp wide open, great colours and fast AF.

The latest 400mm f2.8 is pretty stellar too, with lighting fast AF.

I haven't used it, but the Canon 35mm f1.4 is supposed to be as good as the Leica R 35mm f1.4.

If I had to buy just one lens of the above, I would probably go with the 135mm f2 L.

Post Thanks / Like

I opted for the new Sigma 35/1.4 DG HSM instead of the Canon 35/1.4L and so far I'm extremely pleased with the results. My primary motivation for purchasing this lens was to have a fast, walk around lens for evening and low light shooting on the 5D3, however this lens is extremely versatile and definitely reminds me of Leica glass.

OK, here are a few samples.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi
    I live in Shanghai - if you ever find your way over here, we could have a coffee and do some local shooting
    Phil
    Philip
    www.pg-pg.com

Post Thanks / Like

Stephen, I've been keeping an eye out for this Sigma, A1 lens for a while, although I don't use this focal length nearly enough, the lens sure looks like a winner!

I'd love to see more examples from this lens combination when you have the chance later!

Post Thanks / Like

The new 35/1.4 Sigma was the lens that came closest to giving me that 35 Summilux ASPH look, although as many have pointed out the bokeh isn't as nice.
    With any Sigma or CV lens, there are always people saying that the Leica equivalent has nicer looking bokeh. This is usually accompanied by some cherry picked samples of "harsh" bokeh from one lens and "smooth" bokeh from the other. Having looked at a lot of samples from the Sigma and a ton of samples from the Leica, I would be very surprised if the Sigma didn't show nicer looking (smoother, less color fringing) bokeh than the Leica (FLE version) when in controlled tests shooting the same subject at the same settings.

Post Thanks / Like

Before I hopped over to the M/X/R forum, I used a 24/1.4L mkII quite extensively, as my sole lens. Awesome optics, and I can“t do anything but to recommend this lens for you. It“s even weather sealed with the appropriate camera body (and I think the 5D mkIII is?).

I think its rendering is a bit similar to the 35 Lux FLE, which I had in my possession very briefly. Meaning sharp, "poppy", very well corrected for barrel distortion ( I think it actually distorts less than the 35/1.4L), but very heavy vignetting when shot wide open. Three-four stops in the corners heavy, a lot more than the 28 Cron I shoot now.

I know you wanted to keep your wide angle shooting for the M-cameras, but if you want to touch a bit deeper into the darkside of Canon to see some fabulous optics, I can highly recommend the 24/1.4L II.
    M9, Summicron 28mm, Summarit 90mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In the past i was dreaming to get Leica, i am a Canon shooter, but when i got Canon 1 series Mark IIIs then followed with Hasselblad i ignored Leica completely, and now that i got 1DX, i don't think that Leica will blown away my mind over Hasselblad or Canon, sure Leica is a phenomenal remarkable camera, but i don't have very strong reason to get Leica now, maybe film Leica i accept, but digital?!!!

Congrats on your Canon gear and be happy with it and post more images out of it.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thread. I have been shooting Canon for over 10 years, these days concentrated on subjects needing long teles or TS-E's where Canon excels. Also have several L lenses in medium focal lengths. I could see myself using a small Leica MM-centered kit (nothing like it elsewhere for small form, high iso, and per pixel resolution) and a 5DIII kit for everything else once I curtail the sport shooting. The only reservation I have is that the Canon kit is just going to be a whole lot more volume to carry easily versus a Leica kit. I try to carry a camera everywhere, and dSLRs sometimes discourage me from doing so.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MCTuomey View Post
    Interesting thread. I have been shooting Canon for over 10 years, these days concentrated on subjects needing long teles or TS-E's where Canon excels. Also have several L lenses in medium focal lengths. I could see myself using a small Leica MM-centered kit (nothing like it elsewhere for small form, high iso, and per pixel resolution) and a 5DIII kit for everything else once I curtail the sport shooting. The only reservation I have is that the Canon kit is just going to be a whole lot more volume to carry easily versus a Leica kit. I try to carry a camera everywhere, and dSLRs sometimes discourage me from doing so.
    In my brief experience these past few weeks with the Canon I am finding the size the biggest drawback to the system. It's not a huge issue, and the use of a sling strap helps greatly. But the size and weight of not only the camera but the lenses means I end up carrying more gear. The 24-105L is a great "walk around lens" but I find the 35/1.4 and 85/1.2 don't get left behind very often, as IQ trumps everything else for me, and compared to hauling my wife's shopping it really is no big deal.

I'm going to add a wide to the mix (16-35 or 17-40) for shooting at Angkor Wat this week, so tomorrow it's off to the camera shops of Bangkok.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to add a wide to the mix (16-35 or 17-40) for shooting at Angkor Wat this week, so tomorrow it's off to the camera shops of Bangkok.
    I tried the 16-35L II a couple of years ago, and just didn't like it IQ wise, I ordered the 24L II along with it at the time, and while not quite as wide, I shoot panos with it and works a treat, IQ wise it seems miles better! Something to bear in mind when you visit shops in Bangkok. I guess it also goes without saying, what didn't work for me may work for you!

I couldn't resist, my Sigma 35mm f1.4 arrives tomorrow, I plan to make this a more common mounted lens!

I posted some examples with the 5D3 and 24L II on another thread here:
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/canon/...-mark-iii.html

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

For my part I decided to first try to "live" with the 24mm wide end of the 24-70.
    Some people report that it is very close to the L-primes at comparable f-stops, and I assumed it would be better than the 16-35 in the 24-35mm range.
    So far I like the results , but my experience is still limited at the moment.
    I relly like it a lot that the 24-70 is good at both ends.
    This helps me also to keep the kit small, when I go for a walk outside.

On the other side 24 is not that wide..., and if you find a good sample of the 16-36 you could carry just the 16-35 and the 85 and leave the 24-105 at home.

I am interested to hear your experiences with the 16-35.

Post Thanks / Like

I can only speak for the old 24-70L, but I know it was very good at the 24mm end, except for one thing, and that one thing was pretty huge for me at the time. Field curvature. I could not accurately focus up close using the more peripheral focus points or focus/recompose with any degree of success. This effect faded more and more until about 35mm, where it really wasn“t an issue.

Ended up getting rid of it and bought the aforementioned 24L II instead.
    M9, Summicron 28mm, Summarit 90mm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    For my part I decided to first try to "live" with the 24mm wide end of the 24-70.
    Some people report that it is very close to the L-primes at comparable f-stops, and I assumed it would be better than the 16-35 in the 24-35mm range.
    So far I like the results , but my experience is still limited at the moment.
    I relly like it a lot that the 24-70 is good at both ends.
    This helps me also to keep the kit small, when I go for a walk outside.

On the other side 24 is not that wide..., and if you find a good sample of the 16-36 you could carry just the 16-35 and the 85 and leave the 24-105 at home.

I am interested to hear your experiences with the 16-35.
    Tom,

I said in his forum multiple times that I was VERY happy with the 16-35II of which I owned 2 versions over the years. IMHO by far the best WA zoom available, definitely better than all the Nikon WA zooms (which I owned and shot extensively as well). I actually do not understand why there are so many complaints about that lens.

Peter

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    I can only speak for the old 24-70L, but I know it was very good at the 24mm end, except for one thing, and that one thing was pretty huge for me at the time. Field curvature. I could not accurately focus up close using the more peripheral focus points or focus/recompose with any degree of success. This effect faded more and more until about 35mm, where it really wasn“t an issue.

Ended up getting rid of it and bought the aforementioned 24L II instead.
    I cant comment yet if it is a problem with the 24-70II or improved.
    I am sure the 24/1.4II is the "better" glass at 24mm, but as long as I dont explore any issues with the zoom this is my way at the moment to keep my DSLR-kit simple and to not carry too much glass.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Tom,

I said in his forum multiple times that I was VERY happy with the 16-35II of which I owned 2 versions over the years. IMHO by far the best WA zoom available, definitely better than all the Nikon WA zooms (which I owned and shot extensively as well). I actually do not understand why there are so many complaints about that lens.

Peter
    Peter,
    it is allways hard to find out which lenses work or dont work for someone.
    I had lenses which worked good for me and others said they were medicore.
    And the other way around.

In the end the 24-70 fitted my bill also regarding the range. If I had a strong need going wider I wouldnt hesistate to give the 16-35II a try.

I also have to say that I now judge lenses more on the overall look they create (color, contrast, "pop") than searchig the corners at 100%.
    In this regard the 50/1.2 seems to give me a special IQ quite often.

Overall there are very few reports from persons disliking the new 24-70, while there are all kinds of reports about the 16-35/2.8.
    What I have to say that I find the range and speed of that wide angle zoom very usefull. The 14-24 Nikon in comparison, while being a great lens, I found to wide for my taste.

Here is a recent shot from the 24-70 at the wide end. Sorry for posting it in 2 threads:
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Tom,

I also had the 14-24 Nikkor and while a good lens, it was simply not the rnge I was looking for. And also to bulky.

The 16-35 is covering much more the range I usually need. A good alternative might be the 17-40, which could be used as kind of standard zoom for walk around - again in my case.

I fully agree that looking for the "clinical" perfect lens is not what one should do and I long time stopped judging lenses by this method. I can see that the 1.2/50 is a stellar performer and if I would go Canon again it would be one of my fix starters.

Enjoy

Peter
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the 16-35LII and love it but in all honesty the corners are horrific. Doesn't bother me, I don't really use it for that and it's good even for event type shooting but a landscape photographer wouldn't like it.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So Stephen-What is your Canon lineup these days? Did the 24-105 do all you had hoped? It just seems slow to me, but then again pick your light. Was at a Leica Academie class and a guy from Chile had the 5D3 (left it at home so as not to freak out Tom) and just loved its high ISO capabilities. We talked lenses, but no conclusion.

I picked up a 5D3 (still coming from B&H) for learning (I am a slow learner remember) to use my R (mostly) zoom lenses, but am not sure which Canon lenses I really need/want. For AF capability, I got the 85/1.2 and the 70-200/2.8. Really need one lower end AF lens, but want to hear from others before stepping into something. Your Sigma sounds nice, but I am hoping for an AF wide zoom maybe. I say that and then think that I use my 35/1.4 FLE M lens more than any other M lens. What do you hear about Zeiss glass for Canon? Did you try any Zeiss glass in HK? They tend to render nicely.

Thanks. Lou

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Lou,

Because of my choice of using Canon as a backup to my Leica I have decided to stick with AF lenses with the 5D3. Currently I am using the Sigma 35/1.4 as my ultra low light lens, as when combined with the 5D3 it's an extremely powerful combination.

I have said for a long time that with Leica the reason to buy fast glass is DOF control, and not low light performance. Until the Leica bodies are capable of clean shooting above ISO1250 the Canon and Nikon dSLRs have a huge advantage. We will see what improvements the new M brings, but it still is going to have a max ISO of 6400...well below the 5D3.

The 24-105L is a great "walk around" lens. Not fast, but the IQ is very good and it's a bargain compared to the 24-70 f/2.8 II. I used the 85/1.2L II with great results, but traded it for the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II because it's an amazing lens and gives me a capability I don't have with the Leica. I may revisit the 85/1.2, but my thinking now is to leave these type of portraits to the Leica with 0.95 Noctilux.

The rainy season will soon be here, and I am looking forward to getting out with my Canon and capturing images that I would have never gotten with the Leica. I know some like Jaap have taken the M9 on safari in the jungles of Africa in terrible conditions, but I just can't risk that sort of water damage living on the far side of the moon (aka central China).

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Lou,
    for my part I have been using the 5dIII now with 24-70/2.8II, 50/1.2, 85/1.8,135/2.0 and 70-200/4.0.
    The 24-70 is nice and sharp and I cant find anything wrong with it (besides maybe some vignetting but nothing really bad).
    It is also quite good at the wide end (I never found the Nikon 24-70 to be that great at the wide end).
    But my favorite of all those is the 50/1.2. I find it to deliver a special depth and color.
    If you are a 35mm guy you have those 2 options Canon 35/1.4 and the Sigma which are both to be supposed very good.
    I am with Steve that I want to stay with AF lenses for the 5DIII, because AF and high ISO are what I have bought it for.
    For my use I thought to add maybe a 24/1.4 one day - but then the 24-70 is really good at 24mm.

Post Thanks / Like

Paratom, the 24/1.4L II is my goto landscape and never had any complaints! However, while i did do some indoor shoots at f/1.4 at the beginning, I believe i haven't visited that aperture since, maybe something worth asking before you buy!

Rumor mill has it that a new 16-35 or 14-24 will be arriving at the end of year, so worth the consideration especially since you have the new 24-70L II. I am sure the new replacements are to improve the resolution of the lens as priority, something I felt strongly lacking about the 16-35L II, and more so in edge to edge degradation.

SLR Lounge also mentions the 24-70L II has greatly improved AF speeds and accuracy and no focus shifts, improvements I will welcome in any new Canon lens update. So while the 50/1.2 remains on my camera 90% of the time, it does suffer from focus shifts which is annoying for critical focus, a lens I will welcome an update soon since I use it so much!

Post Thanks / Like

A 1.2/50 and 1.2/85 are my most missed lenses for my D800E

Also I was not very excited with the 2.8/24-70 Nikkor, reason I sold it long time ago!

Having said all that, the sensor of the D800/D800E is so stellar, that it simply smokes all what Canon has today. Hope Canon can come up with something similar soon

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Paratom, the 24/1.4L II is my goto landscape and never had any complaints! However, while i did do some indoor shoots at f/1.4 at the beginning, I believe i haven't visited that aperture since, maybe something worth asking before you buy!

Rumor mill has it that a new 16-35 or 14-24 will be arriving at the end of year, so worth the consideration especially since you have the new 24-70L II. I am sure the new replacements are to improve the resolution of the lens as priority, something I felt strongly lacking about the 16-35L II, and more so in edge to edge degradation.

SLR Lounge also mentions the 24-70L II has greatly improved AF speeds and accuracy and no focus shifts, improvements I will welcome in any new Canon lens update. So while the 50/1.2 remains on my camera 90% of the time, it does suffer from focus shifts which is annoying for critical focus, a lens I will welcome an update soon since I use it so much!
    I read about the focus shift but I dont feel a real problem with my 50/1.2. I use it mostly in the f1.4-4.0 range.
    I would be much more interested in an improved 16-35 than 14-24 because I find 16-35 focal range much more usefull.
    Have to say I am extreme happy with the 24-70II and the 50/1.2 at the moment.

Regarding the 5dIII sensor - I dont doubt the Nikon has maybe more DR, but I can not see that the Canon sensor is bad in DR. And colorwise I still prefer the Canon skin tones (in LR the faithfull profile seems to work very good for my taste).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Lou,

Because of my choice of using Canon as a backup to my Leica I have decided to stick with AF lenses with the 5D3. Currently I am using the Sigma 35/1.4 as my ultra low light lens, as when combined with the 5D3 it's an extremely powerful combination.

I have said for a long time that with Leica the reason to buy fast glass is DOF control, and not low light performance. Until the Leica bodies are capable of clean shooting above ISO1250 the Canon and Nikon dSLRs have a huge advantage. We will see what improvements the new M brings, but it still is going to have a max ISO of 6400...well below the 5D3.

The 24-105L is a great "walk around" lens. Not fast, but the IQ is very good and it's a bargain compared to the 24-70 f/2.8 II. I used the 85/1.2L II with great results, but traded it for the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II because it's an amazing lens and gives me a capability I don't have with the Leica. I may revisit the 85/1.2, but my thinking now is to leave these type of portraits to the Leica with 0.95 Noctilux.

The rainy season will soon be here, and I am looking forward to getting out with my Canon and capturing images that I would have never gotten with the Leica. I know some like Jaap have taken the M9 on safari in the jungles of Africa in terrible conditions, but I just can't risk that sort of water damage living on the far side of the moon (aka central China).
    Thanks for your comments Stephen-
    Sorry to hear you dumped the 85 so fast when I have not even gotten mine as yet. The 70-200/2.8 IS II is also coming, but I assume its a brute. Then again not that the R 105-280 is not a brute and then there is the 280/2.8. It needs an alu suitcase just to carry around! Everyone who has shot Leica and gotten the 5D3 for "backup" says do not expect the Leica quality to be present in Canon lenses. That is my BIG worry. Here a Winter downpour can occur at any moment so the Canon weather sealing will be welcomed. Better to get a Canon shot than no Leica shot at all!
    Any plans on a wide AF zoom?
    Lou

Post Thanks / Like

In my brief experience these past few weeks with the Canon I am finding the size the biggest drawback to the system. It's not a huge issue, and the use of a sling strap helps greatly. But the size and weight of not only the camera but the lenses means I end up carrying more gear. The 24-105L is a great "walk around lens" but I find the 35/1.4 and 85/1.2 don't get left behind very often, as IQ trumps everything else for me, and compared to hauling my wife's shopping it really is no big deal.

This often happens when photographers buy the biggest lenses, and sometimes too many of them: they complain that the system is too big & heavy. But the Canon system is not necessarily that big & heavy. The Canon 85/1.2 is the biggest and heaviest 85. The Sigma 35/1.4 is even bigger and heavier than the Canon 35/1.4.

Happily, Canon offers some very good small lenses:
    24/2.8 IS
    28/2.8 IS
    35/2 IS
    40/2.8 STM pancake
    85/1.8
    Any of the above will "shrink" the system.

Possible substitutions for smaller size & weight include:
    24/1.4L instead of the 16-35/2.8L
    24/2.8 IS instead of the 24/1.4L
    35/2 IS instead of the 35/1.4L
    85/1.8 or 50/1.2L instead of 85/1.2L
    135/2L instead of the 70-200/2.8L IS
    70-200/4L IS instead of the 70-200/2.8L IS
    100/2.8L IS instead of any 70-200

The 5DIII with the 40/2.8 STM pancake feels like a much smaller camera.

The new 35/2 IS and the 85/1.8 would make a great "walkaround" kit.

And the new 24-70/2.8L II, although rather large, is so good that it can substitute for a number lenses. It is smaller & lighter than the original 24-70, and offers better image quality.

Some of the small lenses are older designs and not so good, like the 20/2.8, 28/1.8, the old 28/2.8 and the old 35/2.

Post Thanks / Like

As I said IQ trumps the size penalty of the Canon system, and I really don't mind carrying the 5D3 with the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II or any other lens. The biggest negative I have found is that people see a dSLR and instantly think "Pro Photographer", especially with that white elephant of a lens attached.

For small and discrete nothing can top the M9 with 35 Summilux FLE.

Post Thanks / Like

For small and discrete nothing can top the M9 with 35 Summilux FLE.
    I dunno, I find the quality and discreetness of the Sony RX1 needs to be considered!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey, Zlatko-

Do you know how to negotiate the 5D3 menu system to be able to use Leica R lenses in order to get focus confirmation? I have an EOS-R adapter coming from a guy in Stephen's neck of the woods who says his new dandelion adapter works with the 5D3. It's just that not being Canon savvy, I thought maybe you might have some good suggestions. Thanks.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zlatko Batistich View Post
    This often happens when photographers buy the biggest lenses, and sometimes too many of them: they complain that the system is too big & heavy. But the Canon system is not necessarily that big & heavy. The Canon 85/1.2 is the biggest and heaviest 85. The Sigma 35/1.4 is even bigger and heavier than the Canon 35/1.4.

Happily, Canon offers some very good small lenses:
    24/2.8 IS
    28/2.8 IS
    35/2 IS
    40/2.8 STM pancake
    85/1.8
    Any of the above will "shrink" the system.

Possible substitutions for smaller size & weight include:
    24/1.4L instead of the 16-35/2.8L
    24/2.8 IS instead of the 24/1.4L
    35/2 IS instead of the 35/1.4L
    85/1.8 or 50/1.2L instead of 85/1.2L
    135/2L instead of the 70-200/2.8L IS
    70-200/4L IS instead of the 70-200/2.8L IS
    100/2.8L IS instead of any 70-200

The 5DIII with the 40/2.8 STM pancake feels like a much smaller camera.

The new 35/2 IS and the 85/1.8 would make a great "walkaround" kit.

And the new 24-70/2.8L II, although rather large, is so good that it can substitute for a number lenses. It is smaller & lighter than the original 24-70, and offers better image quality.

Some of the small lenses are older designs and not so good, like the 20/2.8, 28/1.8, the old 28/2.8 and the old 35/2.
    From the experience in the past size was one factor how I choose my lenses.
    I really see the 24-70 as a 24,35,50 and 70 in one lens.
    I also rather decided for the 135/2.0 and 70-200/4.0IS over the 2.8 zoom. In most cases I know if I need to do low light shooting or if I am in good light and want a zoom.
    And so far I am quite happy with 85/1.8.
    In case of the 50 I decided however for the 1.2 Version.

But to be honest - I dont find 2-3kg of gear that much of a pain. Most offen my 2 year old daughter who wants to sit on my shoulders is the bigger workout than the camera gear.

Look what kids carry to school on their back.
    I think the compromises regarding the user interface of small cameras are often overseen these days. For example I really like a top display on the camera body to see ISO/f-stop/exptime without having to activate the rear display. Sometimes we forget about those things.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Hey, Zlatko-

Do you know how to negotiate the 5D3 menu system to be able to use Leica R lenses in order to get focus confirmation? I have an EOS-R adapter coming from a guy in Stephen's neck of the woods who says his new dandelion adapter works with the 5D3. It's just that not being Canon savvy, I thought maybe you might have some good suggestions. Thanks.
    No, sorry, I don't know how to do this. I've only tried a Pentax screw mount to EOS adapter and it gave no focus confirmation, but it had no electric contacts. I'm guessing that if the adapter has electric contacts, it will make the camera "think" that an EOS lens is mounted and is set to manual focus. If that's so, then nothing in the menu system will need to be changed in order to get focus confirmation.

wogg

I also use both systems. On Canon, I'm agreed that trying to use manual focus for anything 35mm or longer is not fun unless you are just doing static setups.

However, on the wide side, the one manual focus lens I retain is the Zeiss ZE 18mm 3.5. It's really compact, smaller than a 35L, and because it is so wide, the focus issue is not such a big deal since DOF is sooooo deep and mostly you'll be shooting infinity focus, the manual focus app is a non-issue. Highly recommended.

on flickr
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post