The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any users of the Canon SX50

malmac

I am considering the purchase of an SX50 has anyone bought one?

If so would you be willing to share some RAW files using Dropbox - so I can appreciate the image quality at full resolution?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Mal

4season

Mal,

I picked one up a few days ago. I haven't made any effort to really test the performance of the thing in any systematic way: I'm having too much fun! I had hoped it would allow me to do some casual birding during the Mon-Fri work week, and so far it seems almost perfect for the task. It's still a 1/2.3" sensor, but it takes me places that my other cameras don't, at least not without a lot of bother.

Jeff

malmac

Jeff

Thanks for touching base.

WE are heading off to Brittain in May and my wife does not want to drag around her 5D Mk2 and 24-105 lens which is her go to lens.

So we thought something lighter that would be fun to use. Max print size for any images would only be 12 inches by 8 inches - 12 Mpix sounds great.

Probably interested in how sharp the images are given the mammoth task the zoom has taken on and also Sue likes shooting in manual mode so be very interested in how easy manual is to use, including manual focus.

I hope you keep enjoying your camera and maybe be a position to share some images soon.

Regards.

Mal

4season

Mal,

I haven't used Dropbox before, but just so long as there's nothing complicated involved in sending files, I could let you check out a couple of full-sized JPEG or raw files (If you like, PM me the particulars and I'll see about sending you a few files in a day or so)

Manual focus isn't one of my favorite points about this camera: Basically you use a couple of buttons or the control wheel for the task, but the button control starts off glacially slow, then builds (too much) momentum, while the wheel isn't quite as grippy as I'd like, and it's too easy to accidentally click and bring up some other function.

Manual exposure is "adequate", and live histogram is a plus, but again, the camera's got a single non-stellar control wheel. Fine for relaxed and deliberate shooting, but not the most enjoyable way to use the camera. For general shooting, Aperture- or Program modes work fine, and actual usable aperture range is quite limited anyhow. The camera's automation favors lower ISO and moderate shutter speeds, so for bird shots, I find that Shutter-Priority works best.

SX50's image stabilization is nothing short of amazing: Even at 1200mm, the IS can seemingly freeze movement for brief moments. This is the best IS that I've ever encountered outside of Canon's own binoculars. Have been delighted to find that I can actually handhold it at 1200mm in early afternoon light, even when it's overcast.

Optics: Haven't systematically tested for distortion, vignetting, corner sharpness, etc (processing raw files in Aperture) but so far haven't been troubled by that either. Have noticed occasionally heavy blue/yellow chromatic aberration in some high contrast areas, typically tree branches against sky.

Raw files: As you know, the smaller the sensor, the less-plastic they are. Actually gives a bit more range than the camera's histogram indicates, just don't expect to pull amazing detail out of highlights. But I'm pleased at just how good today's small sensors can be.

Overall, a fun camera that can take you places that others don't.

Jeff

malmac

Jeff

Thanks for the test images - my wife was quite impressed and excited about getting an SX50.

We are away next week but will order one after that so she can get used to it before heading overseas in May.

Thanks very much for your help.

Mal

4season

Happy to help, Mal. BTW, the camera uses the LH-DC60 lens shade which is sold separately. Jeff

malmac

I guess it will work in PS6 or there will be a download to make it work.

Sue is getting quite excited about the prospect of the new camera.

Regards

Mal

Nestor1

Yeah i am using Canon Rebel XT it is a pretty old camera and it is perfect i got it in $200 on cheaper and this is good camera to make the photos and also best for the beginners....

malmac

Sue

Bought her SX50 - a very cute little camera - I have ordered a cople of filters for her and we are going away for a few days, so she is going to use it and try and come to terms with all the controls. She really likes shooting in manual mode, so she wants all the main controls freely to hand.

Mal