The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

METABONES | Speed Booster

Amin

This concept has been done before. For example, the very early Nikon E series DSLR, co-developed with Fuji, used a 4X focal reducer to get the full angle of view and light collecting power of full frame lenses condensed to a 2/3" sensor: Nikon E series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Adapters serving this purpose are also used in astronomy, where they may be referred to as focal reducers or telecompressors.

Kodak has a 1994 patent which describes a device similar to the one Metabones is introducing: United States Patent: 5499069

The main problem has always been optical aberrations at low f-numbers. Perhaps that's why we're seeing this as a product geared towards videographers.

monza

It's just a reverse tele converter, so to speak.

But quite cool, actually.

Trying to figure how depth of field is affected.

For example, the rule of thumb for adapting a lens to micro 4/3 is multiply the focal length and aperture by 2, to get the effective focal length and the effective DOF equivalent.

So, 50/2 becomes 100/2 with an effective DOF of f/4.

What would effective DOF be of an 'equivalent' 35/1.2, which is otherwise a native 50/1.8 (as shown in the graphic?)

After a bit of thought on a Sunday night after two football games, :) I'm assuming that adding a reducer is equivalent to mounting a native 35/1.2 to which means just multiply the 'reduced' f-stop by crop factor to get the effective DOF.

Rawfa

Well well, it turns out it´s no hype...and from the samples I´ve seen it´s the real deal. The samples with the NEX cameras are really great. I´m counting the minutes to turn my NEX7 into a FF (ish) camera and still gain 1 stop of light.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Folks, please cool your rhetoric.
This is hardly professional.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Other than it defies the laws of physics? ;)
You need to brush up on your physics. It is you who are on the wrong path. As such, I'm deleting all of your spurious comments below and giving you a stern warning to do some research before going off uninformed on something you clearly do not understand. Consider this a warning, any more of your churlish and rude behavior and I will ban you permanently.

PS: Bob beat me to the deletions by a few seconds, but my warning to Stephen stands. Vivek, your posts were deleted because they quoted Stephen's, no issues with the way you were responding.

slothead

My only problem with it (and please pardon my first ignorant post) is that you are going to lose your AF (are you not). One of the advantages of a fast lens is an improved AF speed. That is not an advantage with the Speed Booster. Please correct me if I am wrong.