The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Long Reach with 70-200+5D3 using extenders

algrove

Instead of getting much more glass for long shots, I was wondering if anyone has solid experience using either 1.4x or 2x extenders with the latest 70-200.

My main concern is image quality. Knowing that the more one magnifies an image, the worse the IQ can get is my main concern, but the 2x appeals due to my long reach needs.

Maybe the 1.4x is the best option, but then I only get 280 at the longest end.

Any comments from experience with either of these setups? Thanks.

Don Libby

We used to have the 70-200 and I remember trying it out with extenders and found the 1.4 was the most I'd use and that would be rarely. My opinion is that while you can use an extender you end up degrading the image quality.

Don

Which camera by the way? We used it on a 1Ds, 1DsII and 1DsIII but never tried it past the 1DsII as we found we didn't like it quality.

malmac

I don't want to disagree with Don whose opinion I respect.

I guess image quality is relative and sometimes it is difficult to get closer to the subject so one uses extenders at the expense of image quality - I belive the above image is a case in point.

Canon 1D Mk4 with a 400mm f2.8 lens with both the 1.4x extender and the 2x extenders in line. Tripod, mirror up, 8 seconds delay on a very still night.

In my opinion it is knowing when not to use the equipment is part of the secret.

Regards Mal

David Schneider

I've used both of those extenders for years for action sports and equestrian photos. Image quality of the 1.4x is a bit better and you get less out of focus images since focus is faster than 2x, but I've taken and sold thousands of photos with the 2x when that was my main business.

Big question is how large an print is being made? Differences between use of converters and prime shows up, naturally, in larger prints. Sometimes some general levels adjustment and sharpening yields files that are darn near a prime or 70-200. Obvious advantages are price, size, and general portability. You might take more images with the 70-200 with a converter or two than with the prime 300 or 400 due to the weight of those babies. Downside is a tad lower quality, slower focusing.

I've only recently gotten the new Canon 70-200 L f2.8IS II and haven't used a converter on it, but I would think quality is a bit better than IS ver. 1 and older non-IS with converters.

algrove

David, I would probably never enlarge more than a 24x36" print, but if original has been cropped then that is where my worries begin about final IQ.

David Schneider

David, I would probably never enlarge more than a 24x36" print, but if original has been cropped then that is where my worries begin about final IQ.
Here's my thoughts: If you can afford and can carry around a 300mm or a 400mm and want to spend the money on that glass, then that's going to be the best image quality. That part is easy!

But then there's image capture. For action I prefer a zoom. I think you can take more exposures, plus cropping in camera is better.

Also, you can't capture if you don't have the focal length. And if you aren't going to purchase the long glass, then it's converters. If you don't feel like schleping that 400mm with you (and it's heavy) then you won't capture whereas if you had your 70-200 and had that little converter in your pocket you might.

And, of course, price. For the price of 400 f4 you could get a new Canon 5dmk3 and new 70-200 IS II and converters. If you already have body and 70-200 you have covered 70-400 with two set-ups. Maybe two cameras gets you more sale-able images. (If you get the 400 f2.8, that's a much, much higher outlay of money, 8-9 lbs of lens, but great quality).

Then there's whatever you do in post production. If you are using Painter on the images then go with converters for sure. If going Black and White, go with converters. If going a straight print you have to decided on the ROI for the money you are putting out for gear, plus depreciation.

algrove

I've only recently gotten the new Canon 70-200 L f2.8IS II and haven't used a converter on it, but I would think quality is a bit better than IS ver. 1 and older non-IS with converters.
David-When you do try either the 1.4x and/or 2x kindly give your thoughts about the results you see. Thanks. Lou

David Schneider

David-When you do try either the 1.4x and/or 2x kindly give your thoughts about the results you see. Thanks. Lou
I'll use the 1.4x if I need 300mm length and 2x if I need 400mm. And if lighting gets bad, then down to the 1.4x.

Quality and focusing are better and faster with 1.4x. But if you need longer, then the 2x is the right tool, especially on a bright day.

onesickpuppy

I have the vs II of the 70-200...and OFTEN use the 2x (vsIII) on it with superb results.

But as malmac stated....much has to come from knowing HOW to use it.

Normally I have good to great light..so that is a plus....but again, if pushed under poor light, then knowledge, skills and solid technique will still get the image.

Again...you know more than anyone...of the conditions you need to shoot in...but I say go for it and you wont be disappointed!!

Mark K

I have just bought this X Pro 1.7x extension tube/telecoverter combo...a very versatile optic with great quality. Works with my 100-400L on 5D3

Mark K

Thank you guys for the information and here I go with 1st generation of 70-200 f2.8 plus the new X Pro 1.7

Mark K

having 70-200, 100-400, I cannot resist the Sigma 120-300 for its quality. Will try out tomorrow in the field. For the long run, I will also buy those super teles for these birding photos...