Site Sponsors

Thread: 5D Mark lll refurb's?

Post Thanks / Like

5D Mark lll refurb's?

Hello all, I am considering a 5D Mark lll refurb from Canon Direct? Has anyone had any experience purchasing a refurb? What about warranties and condition of camera if not satisfied with the condition?
    Thanks,
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 5D Mark lll refurb's?

I have had only great experiences with Canon Direct refurbs. You can also sometimes get even better price using the Canon Loyalty Program, but that requires you to send them a broken, out of warranty Canon camera. I feel like it's a great deal--I figure they probably test them, and maybe to better hands-on standards than the standard new camera QC. Whether that's true or not I can't say, but I can say I've had problems with new Canon cameras, but never with a refurb. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your comments about refurbs! This could save me a few dollars.
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpaulmoore View Post
    Hello all, I am considering a 5D Mark lll refurb from Canon Direct? Has anyone had any experience purchasing a refurb? What about warranties and condition of camera if not satisfied with the condition?
    Thanks,
    J. Paul
    I just bought one (15% off a few weeks ago) - for $2500 shipped (including tax) it was hard to pass up. It does come in a 'refurb'box, but besides that it looks new. It appears mine came with a new LCD screen, and impossible to tell from a 'new' camera except for the dot on the serial number.

Information:
    Canon Direct Store Customer Service - Buy Canon Canon Direct Store Customer Service - Buy Canon Cameras, Lenses & Flashes, Printers & All-In-Ones, Camcorders, Binoculars, Projectors, Scanners, Copiers & Fax, Calculators, Ink, Paper & Toner, Accessori

Information on the site leads me to believe it carries the standard 1-year warranty, and a 14-day return policy.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Kevin! I appreciate the additional info. Looks like refurbs are a good deal. It will be interesting to see if refurb prices drop in correlation with the recent reduction in new 5D Mark lll prices.
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like

The 5D3 refurbs are currently out of stock, but the sale price has disappeared. They're now back to $2800, in which case it's probably worth it to pay a couple hundred more for a full year warranty. That $2379 price really was a great deal. If it ever comes back, jump on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I will be on the lookout for the lower price if it reappears.
    Thanks,
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if the refurbs are covered under the CPS program for repair / loaner etc?

Thxs Marc

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my Canon 5D refurb back in the day, and it is still working 5 years down the track. Only issue I had was the mirror fell out of its housing, but from what I heard that is just wear and tear, considering I have clocked over image counter multiple times, one has to expect some maintenance.

If you are wanting to get a camera for pro work, I suggest going the proper channels and get new for reliability. For the Enthusiast, reburb will do the job nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My Canon 1DSmkII refurb from the UK online store came with a 1yr warranty.
    So the shutter was replaced for free then it failed at the Le Mans 24h.

Post Thanks / Like

True - fair nuf

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    If you are wanting to get a camera for pro work, I suggest going the proper channels and get new for reliability. For the Enthusiast, reburb will do the job nicely.