The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon's new "world's smallest DSLR" ?

bradhusick

Canon just announced the SL1 "world's smalles DSLR". Except there's a real world problem with mirrors. Here's the actual size of the new Canon with 18-55 kit lens compared to the OM-D with 17-42 lens (thank you camerasize.com).

Last edited:

Oren Grad

One man's bug is another man's feature. I like having an optical viewfinder, and I don't mind carrying around a mirror box to get it. There's just no good reason why DSLRs need to be so ridiculously bloated. I'd like to have one that's as small as the Pentax MX I started with all those years ago.

So I think this is great. All the better that the price is reasonable, and that Canon is making it available body-only from the start, so that you can get it with a compact prime or just add it to an existing system without having to spend money on an unwanted kit zoom. I think that's evidence that this isn't just about getting point-and-shoot digicam users to upgrade, but that they're also seeing a market among more advanced users and among existing system owners who just want a decently-featured body that's a lot smaller.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The new Canon will be definitely much easier to hold than the OMD. This will even get more obvious the heavier and longer lenses one adds. So basically on the OMD you at least need to add the grip in order to make it manageable in a secure way. And then Size difference becomes even worse.

Finally I have not seen so far any EVF which is better or equally good to even small DSLRs - all hype and nice words, but if I compare side by side the OVF always wins so far!

Thus I find the new small Canon a really great step into the right direction.

pophoto

The SL1 is certainly a good option to have, but I really wished Canon could get it right with their mirrorless camera and lenses.

That's it, nothing else to add :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Cute camera. It's almost exactly the same size as a G5... on paper. The body is much thicker though, and the G5 sports an articulated LCD. The viewfinder seems to be on par with other SLR cameras of its class, like the 700D and the D3200. Would be a nice camera in combination with some compact primes. Unfortunately, those primes are hard to find for Canon and Nikon, and here's one of the huge advantages of m4/3.

A Pentax K5 is only marginally larger btw., although almost twice as heavy. But Pentax can deliver those tiny lenses, making the total package comparable in size. I think I know which one I'd prefer, should I start from scratch again with a new DSLR.

Godfrey

... Finally I have not seen so far any EVF which is better or equally good to even small DSLRs - all hype and nice words, but if I compare side by side the OVF always wins so far! ...
Might be personal preference coming into play, but for me most of the APS-C and FourThirds SLR viewfinders, with the exception of the pro-grade Olympus E-1, E-3, E-5 and maybe a couple of Pentax and Nikon models, fall way short of the quality of the Panasonic G1 and Olympus VF-2 (and built in E-M5) viewfinders on brightness and ease of critical focusing. It's why I stopped using any of them other than the Oly E-1 and E-5. Canon's APS-C SLR viewfinders have been particularly bad to my eyesight.

Move to FF pro and advanced amateur grade SLRs and there the optical viewfinders are up to snuff. Otherwise, I'd rather have the EVF most of the time.

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Might be personal preference coming into play, but for me most of the APS-C and FourThirds SLR viewfinders, with the exception of the pro-grade Olympus E-1, E-3, E-5 and maybe a couple of Pentax and Nikon models, fall way short of the quality of the Panasonic G1 and Olympus VF-2 (and built in E-M5) viewfinders on brightness and ease of critical focusing. It's why I stopped using any of them other than the Oly E-1 and E-5. Canon's APS-C SLR viewfinders have been particularly bad to my eyesight.

Move to FF pro and advanced amateur grade SLRs and there the optical viewfinders are up to snuff. Otherwise, I'd rather have the EVF most of the time.

G
Agree. Under certain lighting conditions, I even prefer a good EVF to the OVF of a 35mm SLR. Whenever I use a good EVF, like the GH2, with a good APS-C OVF, like the D2Xs, I don't even think about the differences, except when I can't get an image review in the viewfinder of the Nikon, but that's probably a problem with my brain, not the camera :loco:

The VF of the E-1 is particularly nice btw. I don't know why, but I guess that's one of many reasons why people still love that camera. I think I have to buy another one :loco: :loco:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I only can refer to the OVF of the EOS 600 and this one was great. Not as great as a FF DSLR of course, but for such a small DSLR pretty stunning. And for me MUCH better than any EVF I have seen so far. And the refresh rate is as fast as you want - 120 fps is just the lower limit :cool:

I also tried the small Nikon DSLRs before I got the 600D, but their OVF was really inferior.

If the OVF of the little beast is at least the quality of the 600D it would be all I could wish for.

BTW compared to the Sony EVFs the Oly EFVs are still stunning - again MHO.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The VF of the EOS 600 should be great, since it's a 35mm film camera ;) But just in case you mean the 600D, the 100D has a VF that is even marginally larger than the recent Rebel cameras. But size isn't everything. Brightness and clarity also matters, and probably also each photographer's state of mind.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi Jorgen,

Canon made a start - a 40mm f2.8 ef pancake which is not too bad.

Best wishes,

Ray
To have at least one "low light wonder", the 35mm f/2 IS would be very nice too, although not nearly as compact. Add to that some tiny 20mm, the Nikkor AIS f/3.5 is nice, and an 85/1.8 and it's actually a travel set not much larger than my GH2 with corresponding focal lengths. Food for thought...

V

Vivek

To have at least one "low light wonder", the 35mm f/2 IS would be very nice too, although not nearly as compact. Add to that some tiny 20mm, the Nikkor AIS f/3.5 is nice, and an 85/1.8 and it's actually a travel set not much larger than my GH2 with corresponding focal lengths. Food for thought...
The 40/2.8 STM is a sweet lens and is ~2/3 thick of the 20/3.5 AiS Nikkor.

Add a plastic 50/1.8 EF II for low light. Quite compact and very light weight.

If you want a very compact portrait tele, nothing can beat the OM 85/2. The most compact 85mm out there and a rendition not matched by many lenses.

Shashin

Canon just announced the SL1 "world's smalles DSLR". Except there's a real world problem with mirrors. Here's the actual size of the new Canon with 18-55 kit lens compared to the OM-D with 17-42 lens (thank you camerasize.com).
Actually, that shows the problem of putting a flange distance for a 35mm camera on a smaller format. That camera could be smaller if it had an APS mirror box. But Canon has no lenses with an APS flange distance.

ShooterSteve

Personally I like optical view finders for composition but I think they fail miserably for manual focusing and low light compared with digital finders as on the OMD and GH3. The film industry has gone almost exclusively to digital finders and most DP's adapt quickly.

pophoto

Canon, I'll be your bitch if you come now with a FF sensor inside a body like this. Perfectly doable!
Eduardo
Nonsense; Sony first! :p

Canon will sooner release couple more updates to the SL1 like a Swivel screen to the SL2, and then a RATE button to the SL3 before a tiny FF. Just sayin! :watch:

Uaiomex

I didn't know.
I may buy the version with a swivel screen, But defeintetely would buy a FF version.

Nonsense; Sony first! :p

Canon will sooner release couple more updates to the SL1 like a Swivel screen to the SL2, and then a RATE button to the SL3 before a tiny FF. Just sayin! :watch: