The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon's new "world's smallest DSLR" ?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nonsense; Sony first! :p

Canon will sooner release couple more updates to the SL1 like a Swivel screen to the SL2, and then a RATE button to the SL3 before a tiny FF. Just sayin! :watch:
The only 35mm exchangeable lens camera from Sony is the A99 which is huge compared to the 100D and weighs twice as much.

Paratom

I am surprized how many people weight small size/weight over the IMO better user interface of ff-DSLRs. Not only is a nice big viewfinder a releaf also the cameras sit usually more stable in the hand and buttons are easier to find.
As soon as you use faster lenses a little bigger camera is also more balanced vs the lens.
If you have a good bag or backpack it is not really a problem to carry a little bigger camera for hours.
There are some occasions where I want a small camera- like when going on tours with the bycicle or during skiing. But for everything else?
Smaller and smaller doesnt necesarly means easier to use.

rspann

Canon just announced the SL1 "world's smalles DSLR". Except there's a real world problem with mirrors. Here's the actual size of the new Canon with 18-55 kit lens compared to the OM-D with 17-42 lens (thank you camerasize.com).
Guess I don't get it! What do you mean "problem with mirrors"?

mazor

rspann, what it means is that no matter how small you make a DSLR, you cannot make it as small as the OM-D, since OM-D is mirrorless. The problem with mirrors is it takes space, and depth between the lens and the sensor, so really a SLR can never be as small as a mirrorless solution, without sacrifice, eg even smaller sensor than MFT to get mirrors that are even smaller!

Sharokin

rspann, what it means is that no matter how small you make a DSLR, you cannot make it as small as the OM-D, since OM-D is mirrorless. The problem with mirrors is it takes space, and depth between the lens and the sensor, so really a SLR can never be as small as a mirrorless solution, without sacrifice, eg even smaller sensor than MFT to get mirrors that are even smaller!
You can also say MFT cameras are limited to smaller sensors in order to keep the camera/lens combo compact. Sony's NEX cameras are very compact until you put fast glass on it.
Regardless the new SL1/100D is getting a lot of buzz and many positive reviews. No doubt it will sell very well.

mazor

i got the lovely penf 40 f1.4 mounted on my nex 5n aps-c mirrorless. it is plenty fast, and the camera system is still alot more compact to the likes of this new Canon mini DSLR.

I also have the SLr magic 50mm 0.95. even that combo is still alot smaller.

Uaiomex

Retrofocus wide-angle design makes the lenses mandatorily bigger but the main reason is the size of the sensor. Bigger sensor = bigger lenses. That's why the Nex cameras won't ever have (at a given time) lenses as small as those for m4/3.
Eduardo

mazor

agreed, mayb e they should really be comparing Canon's smallest DSLR with the likes of Sony NEX 5r, since they both share the same size sensor, APS-C.

Micro four thirds is in a different league ho hum