The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Quality wides on Canon FF

convexferret

Hi All
As a longtime lurker I thought I'd get my first post in just to see if the assembled experience of the GetDpi crowd might be able to help, or possibly just confirm a decision I've got to make. I use a 5D III and tend towards the tele end. My standard walk-around kit being a 70-200 f4 IS and and 35 f1.4. Just occasionally I find myself needing something wider and stitching isn't an option. This happens rarely enough that it's only now starting to bother me. I already have the 17-40 f4 but the quality of my other lenses leaves me wholly unsatisfied with this zoom at any aperture, particularly in the corners. It's also a little too large to be carrying with me to be used for one shot in 100, if that. So I thought that I'd try to find a small prime in the 20-24mm range that I could hide in the corner of my bag. I've been looking through the options and here they are:

Sigma/Tamron/Tokina: Have various 17/20/24mm primes available but none review very well, certainly nothing that would completely outclass my 17-40. The one lens that does get a lot of attention is the Tokina 16-28 but that is far too large and heavy.

Zeiss 21mm: Too heavy, too expensive

Voigtlander 20mm f3,5: When I first heard about this I thought it would be perfect but again reviews are mediocre.

Canon 20mm f2.8: Poor reviews, no better than the 17-40

Canon 24mm f2.8 IS: The favourite so far. Good quality, not too large and IS is a bonus.

So the result is that the new Canon 24mm IS is the favourite by quite a way. Could others with some experience with any of these lenses confirm or dispute my findings? I realize that they're mostly based on a few select review sites.

Paratom

I opted for the Zeiss 21mm.
I wanted wider than 24 because I have a good 24 included in my 24-70II. I like 21mm for ultra wide. From what I saw in the net the Canon 20mm is not so convincing.
Question is how good is the 24mm/IS? I cant tell you.

convexferret

How good is the 24 IS? By reviews, better that the alternatives, except perhaps the Zeiss 21. I'd love the 21 but its quite a bit heavier and quite large for a lens I expect to use rarely. I don't know anybody that has any of the primes I mention here, the 17-40 and 16-35 seem ubiquitous.

Paratom

How good is the 24 IS? By reviews, better that the alternatives, except perhaps the Zeiss 21. I'd love the 21 but its quite a bit heavier and quite large for a lens I expect to use rarely. I don't know anybody that has any of the primes I mention here, the 17-40 and 16-35 seem ubiquitous.
Sounds good if 24mm is the focal length you like to get.

heymatthew

I know this thread is pretty old by now, but one you didn't consider (or maybe you did, but didn't list) is the Canon 28mm f/1.8. I have this lens and it's an EXCELLENT lens. It's fairly compact (smaller than the 50/1.4 and dwarfed by the 35/1.4) and is incredibly sharp and has surprisingly low distortion. You don't get IS, but you do get f/1.8 (and it's usable at 1.8, but I found the sweet spot on mine is 2.2) and you still get USM.

Fast, silent, small. Everything a wide prime should be, in my opinion. It's leaps and bounds better than my 17-40 which I only pull out for architecture and wedding receptions.

You can usually find it on the used market for ~400USD or less. A significant savings over the ungodly amount Canon is asking for on their new 24 and 28 IS lenses. Definitely worth looking at for sure.