The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

R lenses for the 5D?

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I can possibly get some of these cheap.

Elmarit R 2.8/35 sn2855683
Summicron R 2/50 sn2580742
Elmarit R 2.8/180 sn2249444
Vario-Elmar R 3.5/35-70 sn3318420
Elmarit R 2.8/90 sn2414120
Angenieux w/ R mount 2.5/3.3 35-70

Which would be the best deal for a 5D?

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
No, I was not aware of that site. The person looking to sell got them from his Grandfather with an R4 so I figured they were '70's vintage. But some times older optical formulas produce nice drawing effects.

robsteve

Subscriber
John:

The Leica Lenses will probably all fit on the 5D. I am not sure about the Angeniux.

I would avoid the Leica 35-70mm zoom. As they got old there was a lot of wiggle in the construction.

Some of the alternative guys like the 35mm f2.8. If it is cheap enough, it is worth a try.

The 50mm, 90mm and 180mm are probably the best of the lenses you listed. They are pretty low serial numbers, so the 50mm and 90mm may be of a design prior to the latest. The 90mm in particular had an improvement in the latest lens design. The 180mm is probably an older design, but the older design was just a bigger lens with a tripod mount and performed as well as the newer pre-APO lens.

Keep in mind that these older generation lenses will not take standard filters, but would require series filter and filter retaining rings.

Robert

doug

I would avoid the Leica 35-70mm zoom. As they got old there was a lot of wiggle in the construction.
As far as I know this is more true of the E60 (Japan) version than of the E67 (Germany) version

Some of the alternative guys like the 35mm f2.8. If it is cheap enough, it is worth a try.
The second and third versions (Series VII or E55 filters) are the ones to watch for.