The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica to EOS Moire with wide angle lenses

mark1958

I have a Leica 28mm R lens (square hood attached-latest version). When i use on the 1DsmkIII or 5DII with a happyhk autofocus confirming adapter, I get significant moire (with the right light and subject). I have some other adapters that are not chipped and do not give me moire. I could use the non chipped adapters but for some wide angle shots, I have trouble with my manual focus ability. I just wondered if anyone has found a chipped Leica to EOS adapter that might get around my moire issue. Thanks in advance.

mark1958

Here is one example from earlier this year. A group photo.. see me in the center with stripped shirt and 100% crop

robertwright

the issue is not the "adapter" per se, it is the fact that with focus confirmation you are achieving better focus than with the non-chipped adapters. IOW, the shots on the non-chipped adapters are out of focus!:D

It shows that with good glass the canon's can resolve to a high degree-with canon glass I bet you run into this to a lesser degree.

Only "solution" is software moire removal, such as in Aperture or Capture One.

mark1958

Robert Thanks for the reply. I thought that when i tried the other adapters and did 6 or 7 shots each time with independent focus, I did find one or two that were tack on foucs with but perhaps still a tad off. I am going to try some more precise focusing (e.g. a better target and using my angle C finder (magnifies viewfinder) with the other adapters to see if I can reproduce the effect. Mark

robertwright

since moire is the interaction of the pattern with the sensor it is dependent on the size of the pattern in relation to the sensor, so the distance is a factor also. You can achieve critical focus on a shirt or other moire-typical subject but not get moire because the size on the sensor is not near the pixel pitch or some fraction thereof.

What this says to me is that the accepted wisdom of canon tending to put heavy AA filters on their sensors may not be the complete story, mostly it is the canon glass that limits the sensor output.

I am still hoping to use the new zeiss mf glass with the 5DII.

mazor

Maybe Canon should have put in a stronger AA filter on the 1ds mk iii and the 5d mk ii.

That surely would eliminate these moire effects you are getting. Another solution is I head the 5d mk ii has sRAW modes, It may be possible by setting to the smallest sRAW setting, that the Bayer interpolation would not be needed, and hence no moire effects.

MAzor

robertwright

I think moire is a fact of digital capture, also the bayer pattern is part of the problem. Eventually someone will make a camera with a different, perhaps stochastic filter and this will not happen. Heavy computing power needed for that.

I have noticed on the 1dsMkIII a few instances where moire was just starting to happen, but was fairly light. I think canon knows their optics and has picked the right strength AA filter for them. When you use better glass it pokes out.

Live with an M8 for a while and you will get used to it:D