The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 6D or Nikon D600?

hassiman

Just wondering if anyone here had compared the real-world RAW output of both the Nikon D600 and the Canon 6D? How close are they in terms of IQ and DR?:wtf:

The 6D feels more comfortable in the hand... but really the quality of optics in each system, construction and RAW output quality are what count.

asiafish

Both are outstanding, in fact good enough that I would say buy based on features, price or the system that has a particular lens you want.

I recently chose the 6D over the D610 because I liked the look and feel of the Canon 24-105L more than the Nikkor 24-120 VR. I knew that a general purpose f/4 zoom would live on my camera for travel, and the Canon lens just seemed to be of better build quality. The bodies, to me, are far less important than the glass.

Another Canon advantage is a much more complete f4 zoom lineup and more stabilized moderate-speed primes. I try to get each lens as small and light as possible, but hate variable apertures or slower than f/4 for telephoto zooms. Nikon's lineup seemed mostly f/2.8 (heavy and expensive) or variable with slower than f/4 at the long end. Also, nothing like the 35/2 IS, which I can see being my main indoor lens.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Would I have to choose today and not be already in Nikon system, I would clearly go for the 6D. Great camera, enough resolution, outstanding low light capabilities and marvelous colors (no what ever cast).

Plus the lens options from Canon are still more intriguing IMHO than the Nikon ones.

Last - the current low prices fro such a great FF DSLR are really great!

asiafish

Would I have to choose today and not be already in Nikon system, I would clearly go for the 6D. Great camera, enough resolution, outstanding low light capabilities and marvelous colors (no what ever cast).

Plus the lens options from Canon are still more intriguing IMHO than the Nikon ones.

Last - the current low prices fro such a great FF DSLR are really great!
Already being invested in a given system makes the choice easier. If the price was lower I would have bought the Nikon Df, but I am entirely satisfied with the 6D, and likely would be just as happy with the D610, A99 or any other current full-frame.

peterb

I totally agree with the other assessments. In my case I was deliberating between the 6D and the Df. It's on post I just completed in the Canon forum. (I had already ruled out the D610.)

woodworth

Provided one has already already invested in a system it seems mute to consider a change. That said, in the search for the "right tool for the right job" I have gone through three systems in the past few years before settling with Canon.

I'm a firm believer that the tool needs to be suitable for its application and that whilst a Nikon may be the best tool for one photographer who does a particular type of work, the same equipment may not be quite as good for another person.

I think the canon 6D and also the 5D are both very capable cameras and suited to a wide range of applications. The 5D is better in my experience for portraiture in the studio when compared with the Nikon D600 or D800 but I might prefer a D800 for landscape work.

For me as a working photographer, baring in mind the range of uses I might put a camera to and the lenses available, the Canon system wins.

asiafish

For me it was Canon's lineup of stabilized f/4 zooms and the existence and reasonable price of the 35 f/2 IS. I currently have the 24-105 f/4 IS, 70-200 f/4 IS, 85 /1.8 and will pick up my 35 f/2 IS today. Those four lenses cover absolutely everything I could possibly want to do with a DSLR (portraits and travel), while I have other tools for street (Leica M Monochrom) and casual carry (Leica X2).

A siimilar suite of stabilized Nikon lenses would cost more, be quite a bit heavier (Nikon's are mostly f/2.8) and more expensive. Yes, the f/2.8 aperture would be nice, but I just don't want to carry or pay for it.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
For me it was Canon's lineup of stabilized f/4 zooms and the existence and reasonable price of the 35 f/2 IS. I currently have the 24-105 f/4 IS, 70-200 f/4 IS, 85 /1.8 and will pick up my 35 f/2 IS today. Those four lenses cover absolutely everything I could possibly want to do with a DSLR (portraits and travel), while I have other tools for street (Leica M Monochrom) and casual carry (Leica X2).

A siimilar suite of stabilized Nikon lenses would cost more, be quite a bit heavier (Nikon's are mostly f/2.8) and more expensive. Yes, the f/2.8 aperture would be nice, but I just don't want to carry or pay for it.
While I agree WRT the 6D I have to disagree WRT the lenses:

Nikkor 4/24-120 VR
Nikkor 4/70-200 VR
Nikkor 1.8/85
only one missing is a 2/35, but here exist great WA zooms

asiafish

While I agree WRT the 6D I have to disagree WRT the lenses:

Nikkor 4/24-120 VR
Nikkor 4/70-200 VR
Nikkor 1.8/85
only one missing is a 2/35, but here exist great WA zooms
I didn't like the feel of the 24-120 VR. Just felt like a bit lower build quality than the Canon. I don't own it, only handled them in a store.

The 70-200 VR looked and felt excellent, equal to the Canon. The 85/1.8 Nikkor felt better built than the Canon version, but not as different as the 24-120 vs the 24-105.

The 35/2 IS is the lens that really made my choice of systems as 35mm has long been my preferred focal length and I enjoy shooting indoors with available light. Had Nikon offered a similar lens, the decision would have come down entirely to price, where I believe Canon would still win as the D610 and the above lenses cost more (in discounted holiday pricing) than the 6D and Canon glass.

All were excellent though, and for what its worth I liked the feel of the Nikon body better, seemed a bit more robust.

Riley

Canon has an outstanding reliability record at Lensrentals
Nikon is turning out quite the opposite

Mark K

Having both system, I have the feelings that both are the great cameras.
From technical point of view, D610 is a way better, in AF system, better dynamic range of low ISo and features. I have been using D610 for weeks and felt it being a very good backup camera to my D800.
The sensor issue and build quality is not an issue if Nikon's service is good.
As for Canon, the lens line up appeals more to me...especially at the long end

woodworth

This could easily become a Canon vs Nikon thread and that would result in a long list of people venting their views.

D600/610 vs 6D comes down simply to which tool suits the user in my opinion.

I have used both Nikon and Canon (current models) and whilst I think the D600 is a very fine camera, I was always envious of the Canon lens range. I didn't find the various Nikon zooms to my taste but loved the 135/2.

Having recently changed from Nikon to Canon, I have to say that I do not have any regrets (none at all) as I have found the Canon cameras and lenses entirely suit my purposes and give me the pictures I want.

I'm not saying that one system is better than another, but that Canon suits me (and many others) better.

At the end of the day, either camera will be more than capable of demanding use and will produce (hopefully) award winning images for the user.

The o.p. refers to RAW use in terms of IQ and DR. The Nikon has superior DR but this may not necessarily be the most important factor for every photographer as higher DR can lead to a flatter look to a picture, particularly portraits.

As far as IQ is concerned, bearing in mind that the term IQ can cover many things, each of which will be more or less important to any one person, I think the overall IQ is better with the Canon. In my experience, my pictures are sharper wide open (possibly more to do with the lenses than the actual sharpness captures by the camera), the colour are more to my liking (very subjective - I know), exposure is more often correct and the way the Canons work in low light is more pleasing to me.

A lot can be done in post-production I know but the long and the short of it is that whereas both cameras are fine tools, it's the lenses that may well swing it for you. In my case, the Canon lenses were what I wanted and the Nikon ones weren't.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I had no investment in either - but felt that I needed to experience a full-frame. I did research and went out to buy a 6D. I came away with a D600 because it felt much better in my hands. So far, I am very satisfied.

Keith

pophoto

My 2cents here, I have owned both brand systems and kinda still do, but not the D600/610 or the 6D. I have the 5D Mark III and the D800. I own far few lenses today in Nikon than I did, and I'm almost ready to to give up Nikon completely, only because I have an almost complete range of lenses in Canon and cannot afford to grow my Nikon collection. That said if I were to start from scratch, my personal experience; I will go Canon again.

I'd say this: you buy into Canon for your thread named cameras because of their L-lenses. You buy into Nikon because it has hands down the better sensor.

Mark K

If you shoot landscape, then D610 is better. The shadow details demands higher dynamic range and I have this thought for a long time...only someone else spoke for me. Nothing negative against Canon 6D and have a look hereSony A7R teams up with Canon glass
A7r used here just to give you guys an idea D610/D800 shares the same sensor family

turtle

I think picking them up is a good start and really you cannot go wrong, but if I were shooting landscapes, or scenics a lot, I would go for the extra dynamic range of the Nikon.