The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Should I get a 5D (I)?

Charles Wood

There is nothing wrong with having the right tool for the job and in photography this means multiple systems or as Woodworth concluded, the purchase of a Canon body to use with specific lenses is likely.

I've owned the 5DII in the past and I concur about the pattern noise. That was the main reason I moved out of Canon. The 20meg FF 6D actually performs better in this respect than either the 5DII or III.

When I left Canon I purchased a Pentax 645D, which is still by far my camera of choice whenever the situation allows but there are needs for other types of cameras, as well. I use a Pentax K5 for routine stills and situations where size/weight for travel is critical, and a Pentax K01 for shooting time lapse video sequences. A friend, literally, gave me a Sony a850, so I have a FF as a backup, as well, along with an Olympus XZ1 P&S. I find I use all of them at one time or another. I'm surprised how many shooters try to meet all needs. I can understand individual financial limitations but the bargains do come along that allow you to expand and optimize capabilities---particularly with the camera companies continually blowing out old models at the end of production life.

One can never have too many cameras.

Last edited:

mazor

I've owned a 5DII, currently have a 5D which I purchased second-hand recently - and I've read the 5DIII reviews like everybody else :).

My take in a nutshell:

The 5DIII has the most pixels, the fastest and more accurate AF, and the most robust construction, and is generally the most responsive and reliable tool when things are changing quickly.

But the original 5D has the nicest color, especially at low ISO. One of the ways Canon has stretched dynamic range and pushed high ISO in the newer models has been by messing with the transmission properties of the color filter array, and I'm one of those who think the change has not been for the better.

FWIW, if you're coming from Nikon, in my experience the 5D and 5DII AF feels pretty sluggish compared with that of any Nikon model of recent years, even their low-end stuff. The finder blackout time is also relatively long with both models, which further exacerbates the general feeling of sluggishness.

Re the 35/2, I've been pretty disappointed with mine in digital capture, although it's a competent lens for film. It doesn't have the tonal subtlety of the 35/1.4L, and the rendering of OOF backgrounds, which bothers me a bit on film, can sometimes get really nasty in digital capture. Where size and weight aren't an issue I'm happier with the 35/1.4L, otherwise I prefer the 40/2.8 STM. Afraid I can't tell you anything about 85 or 135 as I don't own anything longer than a 50.

EDIT: One more thing comes to mind - my 5D seems to have more of a shutter/mirror/body resonance than my 5DII did, and I'm finding it a bit more difficult to get crisp results hand-held at lowish shutter speeds (say, around 1/30). I don't know whether that's just a sample variation with mine, or a characteristic of 5D's more generally.

I agree, the Canon 5D mirror can cause alot of vibration, so in order to compensate, I have continuous shooting on so I capture at least two shots with the hope that one or both will be sharp.

Canon 5D AF is slow, and is even slower if you use fast primes on it. It is pretty accurate though once it locks.

I still own my Canon 5D, it is like a coffee table toy and sits there with a 50mm f1.2L mounted. Compared to my Sony NEx 5n mirrorless which is a fraction of the size, but APS-C, the shutter actuation response on the 5n is phenomenal, and the image quality is equivalent, if not better than the 5D mk 1, especially for high ISO.

I am very interested in this "nice color" you mention with regards to the 5D. I know the 5D was pretty amazing for it's time and had one of the best IQ, dynamic range, etc for it's class and 12.7MP sensor.

tbhv55

Well I have just ordered an original 5D with a 40mm stm lens ...
That sounds like a winning combination.:thumbup:

I have considered getting the 40mm pancake for my 5DMkI, but have done nothing about it... yet! I'd be very interested to hear your opinions when you've had time to try it.

woodworth

Time for an update! Well I’ve now got my 5D (original version) and 40mm STM.

Naturally the 5D was secondhand and so it lacked the newness I would have got from a 5Diii, however it is in excellent condition and has obviously be well looked after. The 40mm is new and a bargain price wise.

From an appearance point of view the 40mm gives the 5D a “snub-nose” look which may not everyone’s “cup of tea” but I think it looks inoffensive and it makes it very portable.

The 40mm is a natural focal length for me; when I look at something all I need to do is raise the 5D/40mm to my eye and it gives the same perspective. So, this lens is a very easy lens to use as it does what I want it to and the results are pleasing. The price point is superb and allows a very affordable entry point into the Canon family. My used 5D and new 40mm came to just £493.

Initially I was a little disappointed with the results. There are several reasons for this, firstly I was comparing the 12mp 5D with the kind of results I expect from 24mp and 36mp cameras and I had to cast my mind back to using similar cameras (ie: 12mp) before I was happy. Secondly, the noise was higher and the sharpness was lower than I had expected. Thirdly I think the 40mm would benefit from a very slight micro adjustment to get the very best out of the lens at 2.8. Once I had put RAW files into Lightroom and made the usual kind of adjustments that I would have done with my existing system, I was much happier.

I have read that some people consider the 5D to have “filmic” qualities and I can see what they mean. The results I got were more like film and less “digital” in terms of tone and saturation when compared with Sony and Nikon results. I haven’t been able to test it under studio conditions yet but intend to do so later today but the available light results have been more than satisfactory given the right treatment in Lightroom.

As to handling, the 5D isn’t quite as comfortable as a Nikon. It seems quite bulky in my (large) hands but I soon got used to it. The controls aren’t where I’m used to but they all seem to work satisfactorily and I quickly adapted to them. Some have criticized the 5D for being flimsy, however mine is perfectly adequate and very much what I would expect from any modern DSLR. The position of the control wheels and the on/off switch aren’t entirely to my satisfaction but I’ll get used to them. The rear screen is fairly poor outdoors compared to a more modern camera, but that is to be expected for it’s age.

I’m yet to try out how it works with flash, but so far I’m happy enough to perhaps take the leap and get a 5Diii and a few more lenses as well (whilst still keeping at least some of my Nikon system).

The next purchases are going to be a 17-40 zoom and a flashgun as they will give me a pretty good "mini-system" to work with. I’m particularly looking forward to getting a MPE 65mm a TSE 17mm one day, when funds permit.

So, thanks to all of you who have helped me steer this course.

Oren Grad

Can anyone tell me what the most recent firmware update was for the original 5D?
When I had my 5D serviced by Canon USA earlier this year it came back with 1.1.1. On the web right now, both Canon USA and Canon Japan are also showing 1.1.1.

tbhv55

@woodworth, congratulations, I hope that you get quickly settled with the 5D classic... it's a superb camera. I'd recommend trying quite a bit of experimentation regarding processing, to hone the images to the results that you want. The Raw files will generally take a reasonable amount of adjustment.

Let's see some results, when you have some to hand...:)

woodworth

@woodworth, congratulations, I hope that you get quickly settled with the 5D classic... it's a superb camera. I'd recommend trying quite a bit of experimentation regarding processing, to hone the images to the results that you want. The Raw files will generally take a reasonable amount of adjustment.

Let's see some results, when you have some to hand...:)
I think you're right about the experimentation, that said, my initial dealings with the camera have given me the confidence to get a 5Diii with a 17-40 in the near future.

I'm sure the 5D will serve me well for now and then with a 5Diii, it will make a great back-up camera.

I got a 380EX yesterday as it was going very cheap and I'm quite impressed! Firstly the flash sync to 1/8000s is handy and secondly it gives spot on exposures without any adjustments (so far ...). I'm aware that Canon have more recent and more powerful models, but this one will do for now.

Paratom

I think you're right about the experimentation, that said, my initial dealings with the camera have given me the confidence to get a 5Diii with a 17-40 in the near future.

I'm sure the 5D will serve me well for now and then with a 5Diii, it will make a great back-up camera.

I got a 380EX yesterday as it was going very cheap and I'm quite impressed! Firstly the flash sync to 1/8000s is handy and secondly it gives spot on exposures without any adjustments (so far ...). I'm aware that Canon have more recent and more powerful models, but this one will do for now.
If you like the 5d I think you will love the 5dIII. I have owned and used many cameras but the 5dIII is a joy to use. It is so fast it just doesnt get in your way.
It is my prefered choice as soon as I have to be fast.

woodworth

If you like the 5d I think you will love the 5dIII. I have owned and used many cameras but the 5dIII is a joy to use. It is so fast it just doesnt get in your way.
It is my prefered choice as soon as I have to be fast.
I think you're right that I will love the 5Diii based on my experience of the 5D so far, "...it can only get better...".

I'm curious about what you mean with your last sentence "It is my prefered choice as soon as I have to be fast." Can you elaborate?

Paratom

I think you're right that I will love the 5Diii based on my experience of the 5D so far, "...it can only get better...".

I'm curious about what you mean with your last sentence "It is my prefered choice as soon as I have to be fast." Can you elaborate?
I am kind of a Leica fan (M and S system) because I like their simple user interface and lenses. Thats why I often use those systems.
The 5dIII I take when I want to shoot kids in action, when I want to do Tele or when I want to be fast in shooting. Thats what I meant. By the way the 5dIII replaced my Nikon system. For me its the best DSLR, right compromise between speed, size, good skin color, resolution, high ISO quality etc.
Also I find the 24-70II, 70-200/4.0IS and 50/1.2 very good lenses.
Specially the 24-70II is very good, as good as good primes IMO.
However I am also interested in that 40/2.8...I agree its a great focal length and nice tiny size.

woodworth

Thanks for the reply Paratom.

I too would be a Leica shooter if funds permitted (Wife, three kids ... no money - but happy!), I had an M6/35 Summicron a few years back and if I still shot film, I'd still have it. Maybe one day I'll treat myself ...

As to lens choice, I very much agree with you, all good lenses. I'd add the 17-40 to the list as I like a wide zoom. The 40/2.8 is a lovely little lens and so cheap, why not treat yourself? It may not be quite up to Leica standards and maybe better stopped down a stop or two, but never the less a nice bit of glass.

Paratom

I guess I will get a 40 STM one day. However my goal is to keep the Canon system "slim" with not too many lenses. When I used Nikon I had way too many lenses while I shot 80% with 2 or 3 of those lenses. When I switched to Canon I wanted to avoid that lens collecting.

roomycoffee

Hi,
I use a 5dIII (because I wanted the advanced AF).
The 85/1.8 and 135/2.0 are excellent lenses and very sharp.
The 35/2.0 I had once. I found it ok but not great. This time I just have 24-70/2.8 as a 35mm lens.
The 50/1.2 is excellent but expensive.
Once had a 5d and I dont find the 5dIII color worse (but never ran direct comparisons).
I think I would prefer a 5dII over a 5d if 5dIII is too expensive.
yeah, agree with this. i would also go for 5DII though III's reviews show great features. and if you are considering the price, better choose II.

woodworth

I've added a 17-40, 24-105 and 70-200 (all f4) - the "Holy Trinity" of Canon lenses to my 5D and so far I'm very happy. I particularly like the 5D for portraits and was taking some of some actors recently for publicity purposes.

Other than the fact that the 12Mp is a bit limiting and that the rear screen is poor by modern standards (it actually makes the pictures look worse than they really are; they improve a whole lot on a computer screen), I really can't fault the 5D for my purposes. The 5Diii will shortly be added and I'm very excited by that prospect.

I'm very grateful for all the helpful contributions I've been given so far and haven't looked back at all.

There was a time when I found Canon quite irritating but like the plot of many a romantic movie, the two lead characters (Canon and me) started hating each other but ended up realizing that they were made for each other!

tbhv55

Other than the fact that the 12Mp is a bit limiting and that the rear screen is poor by modern standards (it actually makes the pictures look worse than they really are; they improve a whole lot on a computer screen)
Yes, the rear screen is fairly poor - but of course, it's a few years old, so allowances have to be made.

I learned, long ago, never to delete shots from the camera on the strength of their appearance on the rear screen! Shots that might appear fairly poor on the screen can often prove quite usable when viewed on the computer screen.

Re- the 12Mp - I can't remember ever finding that limiting. They are, after all, 12 million rather good pixels... ;):)