Site Sponsors

Thread: Should I get a 5D (I)?

Post Thanks / Like

Should I get a 5D (I)?

I would welcome your advice.

I am contemplating getting a used Canon EOS 5D (mk I) as they are so cheap at the moment. This may lead to getting the Mk III at a later date, but I certainly won't get Mk III to start with as I'm just dipping my toe into the Canon system to see if it suits me better than my current setup.

I don't really want a discussion on whether my current system is better or worse than Canon or we'll be here forever and all the uber Canon devotees will only mock my current line-up in the way Ken Rockwell pours contempt on whatever is not his current "best camera ever"!

So, to the point; in terms of image quality, is the 5D (I) similar to the 5D(III) apart from the image size? I am aware that the 5D (III) has almost double the Mp. I am interested in using it primarily for hand held available light work. I would be happy with 12Mp and would more than likely shoot RAW. If I was to use a 5D (III) I would use the reduced size RAW option for this kind of work.

Any comments?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should I get a 5D (I)?

Hi,for handheld work the 5Dmk3 is far better at higher ISO's and has a much improved autofocus system.Overall I.Q is a lot better.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks RVB,

I can see that the Mk I would be inferior as it is a less highly specified and older model. However, is it so very much worse that I might be put off the Canon system when compared to a similar Sony or Nikon model?

Also, how do you find the 5D with prime lenses? Do you get sharp pictures when wide open (I'm interested in the 35/2, the 85/1.8 and the 135/2 in particular)?

I know this a lot to ask, but if you can add your penny's worth, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I am not using Canon at the moment,but the 35/2 is pretty good but has focus shift issue's,I would try to get the sigma 35 1.4 instead if possible ,the 85 1.8 is great by 2.8 but is fine wide open ,the 135/2 I never used but lens rental did a quick test which will give you an idea of the character of this lens LensRentals.com - Zeiss ZE 135mm f/2 vs. Canon 135mm f/2L

It is a lens a lot of people really love and a fair bit cheaper than the Zeiss 135/2 and obviously with A.F.

best

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

I've owned a 5DII, currently have a 5D which I purchased second-hand recently - and I've read the 5DIII reviews like everybody else .

My take in a nutshell:

The 5DIII has the most pixels, the fastest and more accurate AF, and the most robust construction, and is generally the most responsive and reliable tool when things are changing quickly.

But the original 5D has the nicest color, especially at low ISO. One of the ways Canon has stretched dynamic range and pushed high ISO in the newer models has been by messing with the transmission properties of the color filter array, and I'm one of those who think the change has not been for the better.

FWIW, if you're coming from Nikon, in my experience the 5D and 5DII AF feels pretty sluggish compared with that of any Nikon model of recent years, even their low-end stuff. The finder blackout time is also relatively long with both models, which further exacerbates the general feeling of sluggishness.

Re the 35/2, I've been pretty disappointed with mine in digital capture, although it's a competent lens for film. It doesn't have the tonal subtlety of the 35/1.4L, and the rendering of OOF backgrounds, which bothers me a bit on film, can sometimes get really nasty in digital capture. Where size and weight aren't an issue I'm happier with the 35/1.4L, otherwise I prefer the 40/2.8 STM. Afraid I can't tell you anything about 85 or 135 as I don't own anything longer than a 50.

EDIT: One more thing comes to mind - my 5D seems to have more of a shutter/mirror/body resonance than my 5DII did, and I'm finding it a bit more difficult to get crisp results hand-held at lowish shutter speeds (say, around 1/30). I don't know whether that's just a sample variation with mine, or a characteristic of 5D's more generally.
    Last edited by Oren Grad; 9th September 2013 at 10:52.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodworth View Post
    Also, how do you find the 5D with prime lenses? Do you get sharp pictures when wide open (I'm interested in the 35/2, the 85/1.8 and the 135/2 in particular)?
    I have the 5D Mk1 and I also have (among others) the 85mm f/1.8 lens. This camera/lens combination is a very nice set-up, and I'd agree with RVB's comments above i.e. it's very good at f/2.8 and smaller, and still just fine even when fully wide open.

The 5D Mk1 is great up to about ISO 800, reasonable up to about ISO 1600, after which it becomes a bit messy... especially if you're pixel-peeping. However, if you're intending to down-res your images, then high ISO can still be Ok.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments so far, some good points from tbhv55 and Oren Grad. Particularly glad to have Oren's comments.

I am in fact considering swapping from Nikon to Canon (as Oren seems to have guessed) but not sure if I want to make the leap or not. There are good things in both systems as well as bad. I may in fact end up with a dual system set-up.

One of the things prompting me to look into the Canon system is that I've not been overwhelmed with the Nikon prime lens set up, with perhaps the 135/2 Nikkor being the exception.

Lots to think about ... so any further comments much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Get the 1Ds

I bought the original 1Ds a few months back for $400. Crazy. the same system cost 8000 back in 2008. It still performs like a charm. Much better AF system than all the 5Ds ( I hear the Mk iii uses the same AF system from the 1d) and it is still full frame.

If you can live with 1) bad lcd, 2)11mp resolution, and 3) 8 frame shot buffer. Then it is a great system at dirt cheap prices
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    Get the 1Ds

I bought the original 1Ds a few months back for $400. Crazy. the same system cost 8000 back in 2008. It still performs like a charm. Much better AF system than all the 5Ds ( I hear the Mk iii uses the same AF system from the 1d) and it is still full frame.

If you can live with 1) bad lcd, 2)11mp resolution, and 3) 8 frame shot buffer. Then it is a great system at dirt cheap prices
    Good point... this would certainly be a decent alternative. I wouldn't say that the lower (11mp) resolution matters too much (for most regular purposes), but the screen might be a different story. I used to have a 1DMk2 with (I think) the same sized screen. Great camera, but the screen was pretty abysmal... very small, and difficult to read, especially if - like mine - your near-vision isn't so good any more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    The 5DIII has the most pixels, the fastest and more accurate AF, and the most robust construction, and is generally the most responsive and reliable tool when things are changing quickly.

But the original 5D has the nicest color, especially at low ISO. One of the ways Canon has stretched dynamic range and pushed high ISO in the newer models has been by messing with the transmission properties of the color filter array, and I'm one of those who think the change has not been for the better.
    @ woodworth: Although I've never used the 5DMk3, I have used a 5DMk2, and I'd agree with the above comments regarding the Mk2 vs. Mk1. The improvements in AF are evident, and the resolution figures speak for themselves.

However, I too prefer the colours from the Mk1. This is, of course, subjective... but I've seen plenty of similar comment around the web.

If you have never used any of the 5Ds, perhaps you should try to borrow the various models, or least try them out with your own CF card in, which you could then take home and compare the results. (I know... easier said than done. )

Post Thanks / Like

mmbma, thanks for the suggestion of a 1Ds, however despite the good prices for this model, the bulk and the rear screen would rule it out for me. I have always preferred the size/weight of the non-pro models; this partially due to back problems and the weight of a camera bag all day.

Thanks to the various other comments by others, all much appreciated.

The colours mentioned are a plus point, pictures taken with 5D cameras seem quite warm and attractive.

Any comments on noise in shadow areas? With Sony cameras (A700, A900 etc) this seems to be a particular issue, whereas not so much with the Nikons of this world.

Thanks again!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    I use a 5dIII (because I wanted the advanced AF).
    The 85/1.8 and 135/2.0 are excellent lenses and very sharp.
    The 35/2.0 I had once. I found it ok but not great. This time I just have 24-70/2.8 as a 35mm lens.
    The 50/1.2 is excellent but expensive.
    Once had a 5d and I dont find the 5dIII color worse (but never ran direct comparisons).
    I think I would prefer a 5dII over a 5d if 5dIII is too expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Any comments on noise in shadow areas? With Sony cameras (A700, A900 etc) this seems to be a particular issue, whereas not so much with the Nikons of this world.
    The 5DII has nasty pattern noise in the deep shadows. The 5D is noisy too but the noise is more random-looking and to my eye less obnoxious. Neither allows anything like the amount of shadow opening you can pull off with a late-model Nikon.

Post Thanks / Like

The 5DII has nasty pattern noise in the deep shadows. The 5D is noisy too but the noise is more random-looking and to my eye less obnoxious. Neither allows anything like the amount of shadow opening you can pull off with a late-model Nikon.
    Could be a problem ... any idea if this has been improved with the Mk III?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    Hi,
    The 35/2.0 I had once. I found it ok but not great. This time I just have 24-70/2.8 as a 35mm lens.
    Once had a 5d and I dont find the 5dIII color worse (but never ran direct comparisons).
    Seems that the 35/2 maybe one to avoid, perhaps the 40/2.8 would be a better choice?

Post Thanks / Like

Could be a problem ... any idea if this has been improved with the Mk III?
    5DIII vs D800 Part II - Controlled tests

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that info Oren.

That info has confirmed for me that I shouldn't move to Canon entirely. I will probably get a Canon body one day so that I can have access to some of the Canon lenses, but there are some things that I simply prefer about the Nikon system.

Thanks everyone for all the contributions, these along with various reviews have been a great help.

Post Thanks / Like

That info has confirmed for me that I shouldn't move to Canon entirely. I will probably get a Canon body one day so that I can have access to some of the Canon lenses, but there are some things that I simply prefer about the Nikon system.
    I have motley mix of equipment from different brands myself. My purchase of a 5D was opportunistic - I was curious about it, already had the most important lenses I'd need, and happened upon a chance to get one very cheap. But it's a nice addition to my toolkit, not a replacement for anything or any basis for a wholesale system change.

It's a pity that the "film" in digital cameras is built in to the camera. So often I'd like to match one brand's sensors with another brand's bodies and lenses.

Anyway, good luck whichever direction you go!

Post Thanks / Like

What Oren says fits very well with my own enjoyable fling with the 5D a few years ago. So too bad those who have tried both seem to reckon the later models don't deliver the same lucid files, since this would make the choice a no+brainer. That leaves the choice between images with that special 5D quality for a bargain price or a more expensive later model DSLR with useful features like better performance in low light, video, anti-dust etc that is not an easy one. Maybe that's why so many people who have a 5D also have a "real" DSLR just like those farmers who put a dog in with their sheep to keep away the bears.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think the 5diii sensor is much different than hte mkii.
    However as a user of the 5diii I have not found any real problem with its dr.
    I came from a D700 and changed because Imprefer Canon color, specially skin color. IMO color is often overseen inreviews.
    Plus there are some Canon lenses I love (50-1.2,135-2,24-70ii).
    However I would be a bit afraif of Af performance/reliabulity in case of the 5dmk1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Smile Re: Should I get a 5D (I)?

There is nothing wrong with having the right tool for the job and in photography this means multiple systems or as Woodworth concluded, the purchase of a Canon body to use with specific lenses is likely.

I've owned the 5DII in the past and I concur about the pattern noise. That was the main reason I moved out of Canon. The 20meg FF 6D actually performs better in this respect than either the 5DII or III.

When I left Canon I purchased a Pentax 645D, which is still by far my camera of choice whenever the situation allows but there are needs for other types of cameras, as well. I use a Pentax K5 for routine stills and situations where size/weight for travel is critical, and a Pentax K01 for shooting time lapse video sequences. A friend, literally, gave me a Sony a850, so I have a FF as a backup, as well, along with an Olympus XZ1 P&S. I find I use all of them at one time or another. I'm surprised how many shooters try to meet all needs. I can understand individual financial limitations but the bargains do come along that allow you to expand and optimize capabilities---particularly with the camera companies continually blowing out old models at the end of production life.

One can never have too many cameras.
    Last edited by Charles Wood; 12th September 2013 at 18:47. Reason: Link error

Post Thanks / Like

I've owned a 5DII, currently have a 5D which I purchased second-hand recently - and I've read the 5DIII reviews like everybody else .

My take in a nutshell:

FWIW, if you're coming from Nikon, in my experience the 5D and 5DII AF feels pretty sluggish compared with that of any Nikon model of recent years, even their low-end stuff. The finder blackout time is also relatively long with both models, which further exacerbates the general feeling of sluggishness.

Re the 35/2, I've been pretty disappointed with mine in digital capture, although it's a competent lens for film. It doesn't have the tonal subtlety of the 35/1.4L, and the rendering of OOF backgrounds, which bothers me a bit on film, can sometimes get really nasty in digital capture. Where size and weight aren't an issue I'm happier with the 35/1.4L, otherwise I prefer the 40/2.8 STM. Afraid I can't tell you anything about 85 or 135 as I don't own anything longer than a 50.

EDIT: One more thing comes to mind - my 5D seems to have more of a shutter/mirror/body resonance than my 5DII did, and I'm finding it a bit more difficult to get crisp results hand-held at lowish shutter speeds (say, around 1/30). I don't know whether that's just a sample variation with mine, or a characteristic of 5D's more generally.

I agree, the Canon 5D mirror can cause alot of vibration, so in order to compensate, I have continuous shooting on so I capture at least two shots with the hope that one or both will be sharp.

Canon 5D AF is slow, and is even slower if you use fast primes on it. It is pretty accurate though once it locks.

I still own my Canon 5D, it is like a coffee table toy and sits there with a 50mm f1.2L mounted. Compared to my Sony NEx 5n mirrorless which is a fraction of the size, but APS-C, the shutter actuation response on the 5n is phenomenal, and the image quality is equivalent, if not better than the 5D mk 1, especially for high ISO.

I am very interested in this "nice color" you mention with regards to the 5D. I know the 5D was pretty amazing for it's time and had one of the best IQ, dynamic range, etc for it's class and 12.7MP sensor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    I am very interested in this "nice color" you mention with regards to the 5D.
    5DC vs 5D2 colors? 5DC better? - FM Forums

Post Thanks / Like

Well I have just ordered an original 5D with a 40mm stm lens ...

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like a winning combination.

I have considered getting the 40mm pancake for my 5DMkI, but have done nothing about it... yet! I'd be very interested to hear your opinions when you've had time to try it.

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

Time for an update! Well I’ve now got my 5D (original version) and 40mm STM.

Naturally the 5D was secondhand and so it lacked the newness I would have got from a 5Diii, however it is in excellent condition and has obviously be well looked after. The 40mm is new and a bargain price wise.

From an appearance point of view the 40mm gives the 5D a “snub-nose” look which may not everyone’s “cup of tea” but I think it looks inoffensive and it makes it very portable.

The 40mm is a natural focal length for me; when I look at something all I need to do is raise the 5D/40mm to my eye and it gives the same perspective. So, this lens is a very easy lens to use as it does what I want it to and the results are pleasing. The price point is superb and allows a very affordable entry point into the Canon family. My used 5D and new 40mm came to just 493.

Initially I was a little disappointed with the results. There are several reasons for this, firstly I was comparing the 12mp 5D with the kind of results I expect from 24mp and 36mp cameras and I had to cast my mind back to using similar cameras (ie: 12mp) before I was happy. Secondly, the noise was higher and the sharpness was lower than I had expected. Thirdly I think the 40mm would benefit from a very slight micro adjustment to get the very best out of the lens at 2.8. Once I had put RAW files into Lightroom and made the usual kind of adjustments that I would have done with my existing system, I was much happier.

I have read that some people consider the 5D to have “filmic” qualities and I can see what they mean. The results I got were more like film and less “digital” in terms of tone and saturation when compared with Sony and Nikon results. I haven’t been able to test it under studio conditions yet but intend to do so later today but the available light results have been more than satisfactory given the right treatment in Lightroom.

As to handling, the 5D isn’t quite as comfortable as a Nikon. It seems quite bulky in my (large) hands but I soon got used to it. The controls aren’t where I’m used to but they all seem to work satisfactorily and I quickly adapted to them. Some have criticized the 5D for being flimsy, however mine is perfectly adequate and very much what I would expect from any modern DSLR. The position of the control wheels and the on/off switch aren’t entirely to my satisfaction but I’ll get used to them. The rear screen is fairly poor outdoors compared to a more modern camera, but that is to be expected for it’s age.

I’m yet to try out how it works with flash, but so far I’m happy enough to perhaps take the leap and get a 5Diii and a few more lenses as well (whilst still keeping at least some of my Nikon system).

The next purchases are going to be a 17-40 zoom and a flashgun as they will give me a pretty good "mini-system" to work with. I’m particularly looking forward to getting a MPE 65mm a TSE 17mm one day, when funds permit.

So, thanks to all of you who have helped me steer this course.

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone tell me what the most recent firmware update was for the original 5D?

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone tell me what the most recent firmware update was for the original 5D?
    When I had my 5D serviced by Canon USA earlier this year it came back with 1.1.1. On the web right now, both Canon USA and Canon Japan are also showing 1.1.1.

Post Thanks / Like

@woodworth, congratulations, I hope that you get quickly settled with the 5D classic... it's a superb camera. I'd recommend trying quite a bit of experimentation regarding processing, to hone the images to the results that you want. The Raw files will generally take a reasonable amount of adjustment.

Let's see some results, when you have some to hand...

Post Thanks / Like

When I had my 5D serviced by Canon USA earlier this year it came back with 1.1.1. On the web right now, both Canon USA and Canon Japan are also showing 1.1.1.
    Thanks Oren!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tbhv55 View Post
    @woodworth, congratulations, I hope that you get quickly settled with the 5D classic... it's a superb camera. I'd recommend trying quite a bit of experimentation regarding processing, to hone the images to the results that you want. The Raw files will generally take a reasonable amount of adjustment.

Let's see some results, when you have some to hand...
    I think you're right about the experimentation, that said, my initial dealings with the camera have given me the confidence to get a 5Diii with a 17-40 in the near future.

I'm sure the 5D will serve me well for now and then with a 5Diii, it will make a great back-up camera.

I got a 380EX yesterday as it was going very cheap and I'm quite impressed! Firstly the flash sync to 1/8000s is handy and secondly it gives spot on exposures without any adjustments (so far ...). I'm aware that Canon have more recent and more powerful models, but this one will do for now.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're right about the experimentation, that said, my initial dealings with the camera have given me the confidence to get a 5Diii with a 17-40 in the near future.

I'm sure the 5D will serve me well for now and then with a 5Diii, it will make a great back-up camera.

I got a 380EX yesterday as it was going very cheap and I'm quite impressed! Firstly the flash sync to 1/8000s is handy and secondly it gives spot on exposures without any adjustments (so far ...). I'm aware that Canon have more recent and more powerful models, but this one will do for now.
    If you like the 5d I think you will love the 5dIII. I have owned and used many cameras but the 5dIII is a joy to use. It is so fast it just doesnt get in your way.
    It is my prefered choice as soon as I have to be fast.

Post Thanks / Like

If you like the 5d I think you will love the 5dIII. I have owned and used many cameras but the 5dIII is a joy to use. It is so fast it just doesnt get in your way.
    It is my prefered choice as soon as I have to be fast.
    I think you're right that I will love the 5Diii based on my experience of the 5D so far, "...it can only get better...".

I'm curious about what you mean with your last sentence "It is my prefered choice as soon as I have to be fast." Can you elaborate?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're right that I will love the 5Diii based on my experience of the 5D so far, "...it can only get better...".

I'm curious about what you mean with your last sentence "It is my prefered choice as soon as I have to be fast." Can you elaborate?
    I am kind of a Leica fan (M and S system) because I like their simple user interface and lenses. Thats why I often use those systems.
    The 5dIII I take when I want to shoot kids in action, when I want to do Tele or when I want to be fast in shooting. Thats what I meant. By the way the 5dIII replaced my Nikon system. For me its the best DSLR, right compromise between speed, size, good skin color, resolution, high ISO quality etc.
    Also I find the 24-70II, 70-200/4.0IS and 50/1.2 very good lenses.
    Specially the 24-70II is very good, as good as good primes IMO.
    However I am also interested in that 40/2.8...I agree its a great focal length and nice tiny size.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply Paratom.

I too would be a Leica shooter if funds permitted (Wife, three kids ... no money - but happy!), I had an M6/35 Summicron a few years back and if I still shot film, I'd still have it. Maybe one day I'll treat myself ...

As to lens choice, I very much agree with you, all good lenses. I'd add the 17-40 to the list as I like a wide zoom. The 40/2.8 is a lovely little lens and so cheap, why not treat yourself? It may not be quite up to Leica standards and maybe better stopped down a stop or two, but never the less a nice bit of glass.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I will get a 40 STM one day. However my goal is to keep the Canon system "slim" with not too many lenses. When I used Nikon I had way too many lenses while I shot 80% with 2 or 3 of those lenses. When I switched to Canon I wanted to avoid that lens collecting.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    yeah, agree with this. i would also go for 5DII though III's reviews show great features. and if you are considering the price, better choose II.

Post Thanks / Like

I've added a 17-40, 24-105 and 70-200 (all f4) - the "Holy Trinity" of Canon lenses to my 5D and so far I'm very happy. I particularly like the 5D for portraits and was taking some of some actors recently for publicity purposes.

Other than the fact that the 12Mp is a bit limiting and that the rear screen is poor by modern standards (it actually makes the pictures look worse than they really are; they improve a whole lot on a computer screen), I really can't fault the 5D for my purposes. The 5Diii will shortly be added and I'm very excited by that prospect.

I'm very grateful for all the helpful contributions I've been given so far and haven't looked back at all.

There was a time when I found Canon quite irritating but like the plot of many a romantic movie, the two lead characters (Canon and me) started hating each other but ended up realizing that they were made for each other!

Post Thanks / Like

Other than the fact that the 12Mp is a bit limiting and that the rear screen is poor by modern standards (it actually makes the pictures look worse than they really are; they improve a whole lot on a computer screen)
    Yes, the rear screen is fairly poor - but of course, it's a few years old, so allowances have to be made.

I learned, long ago, never to delete shots from the camera on the strength of their appearance on the rear screen! Shots that might appear fairly poor on the screen can often prove quite usable when viewed on the computer screen.

Re- the 12Mp - I can't remember ever finding that limiting. They are, after all, 12 million rather good pixels...

Post Thanks / Like

Ah-ha yes, 12 million rather good pixels - no problems there but there are a few occasions where I need more. That said, 12Mp is perfectly adequate for most things.

Re-the screen, I completely agree with you and I also don't delete in camera unless the picture is absolutely and obviously miles out! I remember an old press boy who shot a picture of the then (pre-scandal) US President Bill Clinton kissing a girl in the crown who turned out to be Monica Lewinsky! I believe he made a mint! All the others had deleted, but he (like me) was bought up with film and I never throw a negative away!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I now own a 5D3. However until a year ago I had been shooting weddings for 7 years with a a pair of 5D's. Have to admit I raised an eyebrow or two at some of the comments here. Yes the screen wasn't so great (but nowhere near as bad as some would have), it only had a single useable focus point (which in lower light is still quicker than the 5D3 or the 1Ds3 I used to own) and the high iso, although still great and better than the 7D for example, is not up to 5D3 standards. However. Iso 1600 was my iso set for half of every wedding, it really was that good. The feel and look of the files could only be bettered IMO by the 1Ds3 and those 12 huge megapixels have such a nice feel. With 12 megapixels you could focus recompose and get away with it (don't even think of trying on a 22 megapixel camera) and in general when you needed them to be, they sang so nicely, when you screwed up they were incredibly forgiving.

I picked up my remaining 5D today, haven't used it in a year. After the 5D3 it seemed so simple, light, small. All but two of the prints up in my house were taken with the 5D, I have an 18X12" of the image below which has to be seen to be believed, every single leaf perfectly resolved to the limit of your vision, you can come up as close as possible to it and the image never begins to fall apart. Nowadays everyone seems to want huge prints, I myself think that 18X12" is more than large enough and I prefer smaller, even much smaller but honestly, I've printed 24X16" prints from the 5D and they look incredible.

Respect for a great workhorse camera. I'd never have bought a 5D3 if my other 5D hadn't died of old age even after a shutter and mirror box transplant...

I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

and a quick iso 1600 shot from a wedding, using the 16-35L II I bought from Bob (moderator).

I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

and one from the studio.

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

and if you stitch you can get far more megapixels of course. This one is 40 or so megapixels post stitch, post perspective correction and with tonality that cannot be matched by a single sensor with that many megapixels (IMO). When you stitch you pretty much create a huge sensor with all the goodness that implies.

Post Thanks / Like

5D was my favorite cameras and I ending up having two. Great image quality

Post Thanks / Like

I've just got my 5D III and I am delighted with the improvements over the original 5D. I was very happy with the original 5D and think that it is an excellent camera but the 5D III is just so much better.

So the 5D is now my back-up camera and the 5D III is the first choice. I don't think these comments should put off anyone getting an original 5D as they offer excellent value for money and are (with just a little post-production) superb full-frame cameras.

So, thanks to all the comments offered, these have smoother my way into the Canon system and so far I have no regrets at all.