Site Sponsors

Thread: Is anyone getting a Sony A7R for your Canon lenses?

Post Thanks / Like

Is anyone getting a Sony A7R for your Canon lenses?

I've been a bit jealous on the D800E and liked to have something similar to use with my excellent Canon TS-E (for example) when shooting landscapes. Now with the new Sony A7R paired with a metabones adapter it should be possible to use this glass with the supposedly great 36.4 megapixel Sony sensor. Possibly it delivers even better image quality than the sensor in the D800E as Sony has the tradition of adapting their color filters for better color rendition and sacrifice a bit of high ISO performance.

I'm a little tempted to buy one with an adapter for the sole reason of being able to shoot higher resolution (and higher DR) with my Canon glass, but in the long-term sell it and get a Canon body when they (hopefully) release something competitive.

Anyone else thinking along the same lines?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Is anyone getting a Sony A7R for your Canon lenses?

I am not a Canon user but it makes no sense not to get one, especially to use the T/S lenses!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder, can the existing metabones EF to NEx adapter work with the A7r. I suspect there would be vignetting since it was designed to mate with an APS-C sensor and the electronics in the adapter makes the internal diameter smaller.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Canon will answer this with a full frame EOS M. That's why it's been so quiet, I think they got caught with their pants down right before they were going to announce the new 1.6 crop M.

Post Thanks / Like

wil be interesting to see. Was never really impressed at the EOS M. I do not think it made much of a dent into the Sony Nex sales

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    Wonder, can the existing metabones EF to NEx adapter work with the A7r. I suspect there would be vignetting since it was designed to mate with an APS-C sensor and the electronics in the adapter makes the internal diameter smaller.
    Apparently so, it's in use in the video from Camera Store, start at about 11:28 in the video.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well spotted, Robert.

That btw is version III (the current one), I believe.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, if you have an older one, they will update it.

Post Thanks / Like

nice, gues though if you use canon Ef on a7, you stil will not get any benefits from on sensor pdaf, and be fully reliant on super slow cdaf on a lens designed for pdaf.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cineski View Post
    I think Canon will answer this with a full frame EOS M. That's why it's been so quiet, I think they got caught with their pants down right before they were going to announce the new 1.6 crop M.
    Well it's not only the sensor size that makes the Sony/Nikon special. It's the quality of the 36mp sensor's low noise and high dynamic range that puts is in a class of it's own so far. If the Sony has the same qualities as the Nikon D800E, then it will be hard to resist if it will work with Canon EF lenses - until Canon comes out with a comparable camera.

Post Thanks / Like

hmm, scary that Canon themselves have still not yet released a full frame 36MP type sensor, but I have seen rumours of a 75MP type sensor possibly in the development pipeline

Post Thanks / Like

It certainly will work with Canon EF glass. Don't know if it will with TS. The sensor is actually bigger than the throat, which makes me think that putting a FF sensor to the E-mount is an improvisation. I'll wait for a full test before I get excited. And since Canon seems nowadays to be going into chicken farming and dumping camera making, chances are I would buy an A7r before I switch systems.
    Eduardo

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldnt not be willing to eccept the compromises in handling of such a unit just to gain some resolution and DR.
    How big do you print?

Post Thanks / Like

I routinely make 24X36" prints. I find the A7r very attractive to improve over my 6D files. I'll wait for 3 things to happen before I buy one.
    1. Wait for full in-field tests with 24TSEII to be successful.
    2. Wait for a few months to avoid being a beta tester
    3. Wait till next PMA.

If no Canon contender to Nikon D800E/Sony A7r announced by then, I'll order one with no lens.
    Eduardo

Post Thanks / Like

17 mm and 24 mm TS.

And I am selling the 5DIII and all the other stuff.

And I doubt very much, that in the near future, lets say the next 2 years, Canon will have a sensor which will be on par with the Sony.

Post Thanks / Like

So has any practical experience on the subject trickled down yet ?
    How is AF with the Metabones adapter ? How is the image quality with the adapter and say a 24-70 f/2.8 II or 24mm TS-E ?
    I saw an Alpha 7R in a shop yesterday (nice and small, seems well built and also popular, since several people wanted to see it), but unfortunately the store didn't have a Metabones adapter, so couldn't test by myself...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm just selling my canon gear and have bought an A7r but keeping my canon lenses for the moment.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Shelby Lewis

Yes. I'd bet the Ts-e lenses and the 85/50 f1.2 lenses will be loads of fun on the A7R

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about the A7R for my Leica M lenses, but the more I think about it, the more I might consider one for all the L glass. From what I've seen it works pretty well with less colorization issues. The key of course is getting a decent adapter (e.g. Metabones).

I've been holding out, waiting for a 5D Mark IV but that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon. Might as well look elsewhere. Bonus; you can bolt up just about anything to the Sony.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got an A7R coming in the post.

I'll be keeping the 5D III as, with the exception of the 1 DX and D4, that camera is unparalleled for dynamic/moving/speed needing situations. Unless you are dealing with high dynamic range scenes, IMO, the 5D III is still the best camera on the market for all round DSLR usage. High DR scenes are, for me, the minority, but when they arise its oh so irritating to have to try to shoot multiple exposures (what if there is subject movement) and using DFine to sort out the inevitable banding when you pull the shadows.

I got the A7R for travel and tripod work, so I can look forward to less weight and bulk and much greater DR for those challenging landscapes. I do a lot of urban work and so the 24 TS-E will get well used. 15,000 pixel wide shift panoramas, YES PLEASE!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just got [email protected] waiting for the inexpensive Deo ef to fe mount adapter.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the several EOS lenses: Zeiss 21 f/2.8, Zeiss 35 f/2, 70-200 f/4 IS, 90 TS, 135 f/2 and 180macro.

I bought an a7r about 1 week ago because these lenses were just sitting around; I haven't really used my 5DII since moving to a tech camera. I do miss the more spontaneous shooting sometimes, and also could use a backup in a pinch. The a7r serves both purposes, and could be added to the bag with a relatively small increase in weight.

Using the lenses is going to be a bit tougher than I originally thought. The 35 f/2 works well in some cases, but can exhibit some strong CA with the a7r. I've ordered the FE 35 f/2.8 to use instead. The 90 ts 135 f/2 and 70-200 all look great so far.

I sold off the Zeiss 21 in the hopes of replacing it with the Zeiss 25, but we will see how that one stacks up. I have a rental coming to test. I might just go for a small Oly 24 f/2.8 or something. The wides seem to be tricky.

Dave
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Knowing it was compatible with the Eos lenses was the clincher for me. I now have a solution to the poor dynamic range of the Canon. That was not a problem until I moved to London and started shooting a lot of night urbanscapes.

In some respects, I now have the best of both worlds just around the corner (yet to get my EOS-E adaptor): the slick ultra responsive 5D III for weddings and dynamic work and the A7R for static shots and lightweight travel. I'm also looking forward to finding out how the Tokina 16-28 does on the A7R, because it is very, very good on the 5D III.

Post Thanks / Like

So it's been a bit now since the A7 / A7R came out.
    What do you Canon users think about it as a Canon body replacement ?
    - How do you like the AF using a Metabones adapter ?
    - What do you think about the quality of the adapter (i.e. have you encountered asymmetric images, possibly due to the skewness of the adapter). Have you preferred to get another adapter, losing AF but gaining image quality ?
    - Handling with a big lens (like a 24-70 f/2.8 II or even a 70-200 f/2.8 IS) and a small body, connected by the adapter ?

Any other comments from the point of view of treating the Sony as a Canon mount camera ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miska View Post
    So it's been a bit now since the A7 / A7R came out.
    What do you Canon users think about it as a Canon body replacement ?
    - How do you like the AF using a Metabones adapter ?
    - What do you think about the quality of the adapter (i.e. have you encountered asymmetric images, possibly due to the skewness of the adapter). Have you preferred to get another adapter, losing AF but gaining image quality ?
    - Handling with a big lens (like a 24-70 f/2.8 II or even a 70-200 f/2.8 IS) and a small body, connected by the adapter ?

Any other comments from the point of view of treating the Sony as a Canon mount camera ?
    My thoughts are this camera is not a replacement, but it depends. If all you care about is image quality, then maybe. I have the a7r and the Metabones III adapter. The original thought was to simply bolt on my Canon mount lenses and be done. But once you start using this camera, you realize how great it is to have this kind of quality in such a small package. But then you mount a big lens and that small package benefit diminishes and/or completely disappears, along with any reasonably quick autofocus. As far as I know, the only fast and accurate autofocus adapter/lens combo is a Sony A lens / LAEA4 adapter.

Personally I don't value autofocus much, so that part doesn't bother me. Manually focusing almost any lens on this camera is great w/ the zoom and focus peaking features, and in my opinion more precise than any autofocus system (especially with wide angle lenses). The only Canon autofocus lens I use much is the 70-200 f/4 IS, and that is incredibly slow to focus with the Metabones adapter. My Canon lenses are: Zeiss 25 f/2, Zeiss 35 f/2, Canon 90 ts, and the 70-200. It may be that a faster lens, say f/2 or 2.8 would do better, but I haven't heard that. AF gets close then hunts back and forth in small increments for 1/2-1 second before it locks green.

The lens size really got to me though; in my opinion it ruins the "gestalt" or whatever of this camera. And so far Sony has come out with some very good primes in the 35 f/2.8 and 55 f/1.8. These are quite small compared to what I have available in my Canon glass. I actually went out and got a Leica 90 f/2. So my standard kit is now the Sony 35 and 55 plus the Leica 90. I did a comparison in one of the Sony threads; Zeiss 100 f/2 vs. Leica. I just couldn't get past the huge benefit in size of the Leica (with Novoflex adapter):

In order to get the full quality out of this system you need to be quite careful and meticulous (and this is coming from a technical camera user). I really love the a7r, but it is because I am using very good quality lenses that are also very small.

My Metabones adapter seems fine, i.e. no built-in tilt feature but again, AF is pretty much unusable in all but the best lighting situations.

So here is "my" conclusion:
    If you have (and regularly use) relatively small Canon lenses (like the 35 f/2, 85 f/1.8, 24-105 f/4), AND you are in situations where you can slow focus / manual focus, then I think it is a reasonable replacement that will give you great quality.

Other than that situation above, you will not be gaining much as a replacement body. Big lenses make the kit still kinda big so the size advantage goes away. Hand holding and autofocusing will not only be frustrating, but will rarely give you a noticeably better file. When I use the 70-200 the AF is off.

Dave
    Last edited by dchew; 21st February 2014 at 08:12.
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dave

Thank you for your report.

When Sony brings out a few more FE lenses to choose from this will be a very nice camera system.

Mal

Post Thanks / Like

Sincerely, I couldn't be happier than putting my Canon lenses on Sony A7R ! This sensor is just amazing, and live-view too. Just, I'm not using this gear for AF work, but on tripod ;-)
    I wrote an article on my finding on A7R for Canon users back in November :
    http://www.nicolasgenette.com/blog/s...r-canon-users/

I just keep my 1DsII for AF photos of my son ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Been sick of Canon lagging behind Nikon for years and tired of hearing the endless rumors about huge MP cameras. I am using an A7r with Zeiss lenses in Canon mount. Love the evf on the Sony. Love the focus peaking. Love the image quality. Canon needs a kick in the ***.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am using this combo.

For landscape, I don't believe there to be any better combo.
    More resolution, more robust files that can be pushed far beyond Canons own, without all the noise and banding. More dynamic range.

what is not to like?

And you can mate it up with a native lens for travel and have a small rig that will go anywhere to boot.

Post Thanks / Like

I really want to get a a7r, but wouldn't mind a Nikon at this point. I was wanting to upgrade my 5d2 for wedding/event work as well as for portraiture. I really want more DR which these other companies seem to be pushing out. I just can't get excited about getting a 5d3.