The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A walk with the family

asiafish

All images take at Exploration Park, Southwest of Las Vegas, Nevada (you can see the Las Vegas strip in the background of a few from the session). Some shots don't include people, but what the heck.

This is my first outing with the Canon 6D with 24-105L. I'm normally a Leica M Monochrom user and post frequently in the M Monochrom image thread, but am preparing for once-in-a-lifetime vacation to Germany and Austria in March 2014. As this trip is for my 20th anniversary, my wife is insistent that I not spend a lot of time messing with cameras, lenses and a bag full of gear, and also that our pictures be in color. My first thought was either a Leica M (240 type) or ME as I already have the glass, but this kit offers me a one lens solution that really will cover just about anything.

That, and with my GAS it was an excuse to buy another toy and to gain the ability to do wider than 35mm and longer than 90mm, both of which the Leica system does, but that my poor eyesight doesn't do so well with an M. Its been 2 years since I've had a DSLR type camera (Sony A77), so it is not altogether foreign, and as I found out this morning on the mountain, there are definite advantages.

All images below are RAW conversions in Lightroom 5, lens profile applied, but no other post. This lens REALLY needs the correction on full-frame, especially at the wide end where there is some very serious distortion when focused closely. Thankfully, the correction works well, and the lens appears to be quite sharp from corner-to-corner, even wide-open.

_MG_0044.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

_MG_0152.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

_MG_0120.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

_MG_0115.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

_MG_0107.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

_MG_0056.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

_MG_0080.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

And now for the shots without any people...

_MG_0043.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

That is the Las Vegas Strip in the distant background.

_MG_0092.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

Sun just above the frame. Now THAT is excellent flare control, way to go Canon!

_MG_0119.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

Again, sun just to the top left.

_MG_0151.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr