The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

See the 5D II in-person in Northern Cali?

A

aero

Hi Folks,

Anyone locally to the Bay Area (Mountain View, SF Bay) know where I might be able to see a Canon 5D II in person? Our local shop, Keeble and Shuchat, doesn't have a demo on hand.

Thanks, and Happy New Year all!
-AD

mazor

Sorry I am not from your area, but I have actually touched and played with a 5d mk ii. A mate of mine just got one, so I had a play. Shutter sound is different from the 5D, kind of noisy actually when compared to the old 5D.

Other than that the extra fps is nice, but not amazingly quicker than old 5D. Big VGA LCD is very noticeable now screaming digital. Handling wise is pretty much the same between the old 5D and the new 5D mk ii

taken with 24-105mm L IS USM on old 5D

MAzor

A

aero

Thanks Mazor, great info and picture! Much appreciated.

Does it feel any sturdier than the 5D to you?

-AD

mazor

mabe a bit tighter, grip wise etc is pretty much the same. As I said before the rear LCD is amazing, hehe. but not enough for me to upgrade from the old 5D to the new one.

I think the 5d mk ii is more targeted at converting Sony and Nikon fans. I may wait for the mk iii before upgrading, hehe.

Mazor

A

aero

I'm with you. Took the 5D and 85 1.2 out for a low light shoot yesterday and remembered how much art came from this combo. It's not the thing, it what the thing produces. I'm in the zone :)

Thanks for the info and happy shooting!
-AD

jdbfreeheel

Hi Folks,

Anyone locally to the Bay Area (Mountain View, SF Bay) know where I might be able to see a Canon 5D II in person? Our local shop, Keeble and Shuchat, doesn't have a demo on hand.

Thanks, and Happy New Year all!
-AD
Bear Imaging in Palo Alto had one or two in their store this past weekend (at least, I saw the boxes behind the counter). Not sure if they were orders for customers or if they were in-store available for demos, but you might want to check with them.

I was in there drooling over Mamiya glass and their still-in-box kits of Contax 645s and RZ II Pros, and the new HP printers. Ooooooo.

-Josh

A

aero

Oooof, yer killin' me :) Just ponied up for a new mac laptop, but the Zeiss glass at Bear always makes me consider dangerous bank account lows...