The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any 450 XSi/450 XS users around?

Rawfa

Any 450 XSi/450 XS users around?
I'm in the market for a DSLR with great dynamic range and a cool live view and one of these 2 seem fit the bill so far.

Rawfa

Hi Dave,

I recently spent the day with a Nikon D90 and I have found the dynamic range to be really excellent, but I'm not a professional photographer and I don't want to pay that kind of money for a photo camera.Another problem I've had with the D90 was it's live view function. Eg. when you close the shutter on a compact you can see the image getting darker and when you take the photo it is a replica of what you were seeing on the lcd. On the D90 you could close the shutter, increase the iso, whatever and the image on the LCD with live view stayed the same. I'd like to have a DSLR with more or less the same dynamic range as the D90 and with a live view that works as "what you see is what you get". I've read many reviews saying contradictory things about the 450 XSI (some say the live view is awesome, some say it sucks, the same for dynamic range) so I'd really like to hear it from a user.

Rawfa

I've tested the Canon 1000D/ 450 XS and even though the live view is exactly what I'm looking for, the quality falls WAY FAR behind what I've got from the D90. I was wondering how would the Canon eos 40d do against the D90.

trisberg

Rafa,

I'm also considering an XSi - in what way did it fall way behind the Nikon D90? Build quality or image quality?

-Thomas

Rawfa

To my sadness it felt behind in image quality (dynamic range and detail). The D90 only falls behind the Fujifilm S5 in regards to dynamic range. The S5 has around 13.5 and the D90 has around 12.5. The XSi has around 10! Also the detail was way inferior to the D90. I have to say that I really felt in love with the D90's image quality. With that much latitude it's almost like having HDR directly on the camera! And to think you can push it even further with software is mind blowing for HDR lovers such as my self. My only problem is the live view. I've read the D90 manual and it specificly says that it can only be used for focus and NOT for exposure control (which sucks pretty bad for me and almost had me gaming for the Canon 50D, whose live view is "what you see is what you get"). For old school fellas who don't care about live view the D90 is a no brainer. I should be receiving the D90 in a week or so and I'll post further details.

trisberg

Thanks Rafa, very interesting. I can see that the dynamic range for the D90 is a lot better, especially at lower ISOs. The difference in detail seems a bit odd though, since tests I have seen indicate that they would be about even or even give a slight edge to the XSi/450D. What lenses did you test with?

-Thomas

wjlapier

hmmm... My first post I think! I just recently purchase the XSi. Coming from a Nikon D300 it is much smaller and has much less heft to it. I've used the liveview to focus a Minolta Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 lens and 1.2 in a dark room and the liveview works very well. I haven't used the D90 so I can't comment on it.

I guess I should add that I still have Nikon bodies, and plenty of Nikon lenses, but I have alot of lenses I can't use on a Nikon without serious conversion, and most lenses can be adapted to Canon.

I like the XSi and feel it will be a compliment to my photography kit.

iiiNelson

I only have the "lowly 300D" which I will probably get rid of eventually. Canon makes good cameras but I got tired of having to haul around a camera bag at times when I just wanted to be discreet or take some snapshots.

That said it is capable of very good images shooting RAW under 400 ISO and good web images using JPEG. The newer ones are more capable tools though.

P

pix2pixels

The D90 has an AE exposure lock. Should be done before you turn on the live view. I did it with manual AI lenses.

douglasf13

Rawfa, if you want live view for everyday use, and not just for tripod use, you should look at the Sony A300/A350. Those two cameras have full speed AF in live view mode, plus built in stabilization.