The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Major problems with new Canon 6D!

peterb

Recently I bought the Canon 6D with a Sigma 35mm f1.4 "A" lens to use with it (no kit for me).

Until then I had used digital cameras that were limited in the ISO's available (ISO 400 or under), glacially slow AF, questionable framing (DP2 Merrill). As a result I had adopted a shooting style that is best described as "cross-your-fingers-and-maybe-you'll-get-lucky". If I missed a shot opportunity I'd think "No worry. Another moment will come along pretty soon." As a result, choosing a winning shot was incredibly easy. Because the cameras were SO bad if I got anything right I considered it a sign from the digital God.

But with the 6D that's all changed. I now have a camera that can can produce clean shots in color at ISO's as high as ISO 6400 (and BW at even higher ISOs) and focus faster than I can say "Uh..". So instead of having one (or possibly two) well-exposed, well-framed shots from an outing that might be worthy of a gallery exhibition I have 20 or more that I have to choose from. All fantastic catches, all perfectly focused and framed. The 'miss' factor has dropped exponentially. "@#$!!!", life was SO much easier with cameras with limited capabilities.

I'm sorry I ever got this thing! :D

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I handled the 6D a few weeks ago and I must say it felt very good in my hands - AF, handling, menu, speed, weight, etc.

Unfortunately I am sold in Nikon, but who knows the future will bring ;)

Paratom

I know the problem. Whenever I want to be sure to get the shot the 5diii ( in my case with the new 24-70/2.8) is working perfectly.

at the moment i have a wish for a faster 35mm, and I cant decide between the 35/1.4 Canon vs the Sigma vs the 35/2.0is Canon.

the Sigma gets a lot of praise. normaly I am not a third party fan. Besides sharpnes which everybody says is great in the 35 Sigma, what can you say regarding color and boleh?
thanx, Tom

peterb

Hi Tom,

The Sigma is NOTHING short of STELLAR. And when I decided to get the 6D I considered that along with either the f2 and the 40mm pancake as lighter back-ups. The Canon 35mm f1.4 was NOT even the running.

Basically, Sigma made a major decision to change from a cheap-o brand of lenses to taking on the likes of Nikon, Canon, Zeiss and Leitz. How? By using their own technology to improve optical design. Essentially they built MTF-like devices that employed their Foveon sensors as the final arbiter of clarity. The 35mm f1.4 was the first out of the starting block. And review after review have been singing its praises. Certainly better than either the Canon or Nikon equivalents and some even going as far to say it's equal to or better than the Zeiss Distagon and the Leitz Summilux.

But...while certainly solidly made, the lens is a tad heavy.

Here are some examples:

Paratom

Hi Tom,

The Sigma is NOTHING short of STELLAR. And when I decided to get the 6D I considered that along with either the f2 and the 40mm pancake as lighter back-ups. The Canon 35mm f1.4 was NOT even the running.

Basically, Sigma made a major decision to change from a cheap-o brand of lenses to taking on the likes of Nikon, Canon, Zeiss and Leitz. How? By using their own technology to improve optical design. Essentially they built MTF-like devices that employed their Foveon sensors as the final arbiter of clarity. The 35mm f1.4 was the first out of the starting block. And review after review have been singing its praises. Certainly better than either the Canon or Nikon equivalents and some even going as far to say it's equal to or better than the Zeiss Distagon and the Leitz Summilux.

But...while certainly solidly made, the lens is a tad heavy.
Thanx Peter! These images look really sharp and with nice colors and bokeh.
There is a very good chance I will choose the Sigma. Why was the Canon 35/1.4 not on your list?

peterb

Hey Tom,

From corroboration of various reviews (DxO, SLR Gear, Photozone, Photoblographer, et. al.) and constant views of images taken by the lens on the flickr APP on a high resolution iPad (which by the way is an amazing way to explore the capability of a lens you're considering to get a sense of it) I just felt that the Canon, as highly regarded as it was, simply didn't hold a candle to the Sigma. PLUS, the price of the Sigma was HALF (I got it from Digital Rev for $799).

In fact, I felt the other canon lenses that were considered were actually better. But with a camera like the 6D which presented the potential for amazing low light performance (AF down to -3 eV, phenomenal noise suppression for color as high as ISO 6400 and even higher in BW along with a VERY silent DSLR shutter) I definitely was going to get a good f1.4. Plus 35mm has always been my favorite FF FOV (slightly wider than 'normal' to give you a sense of being there).

The 35mm Sigma has been so amazing the next lens I hope to get is a rumored Sigma 135mm f1.8. Of course, if that doesn't materialize I will definitely get the 135mm f2 Canon. But my guess if there IS a Sigma 135mm A class lens it will utterly trounce the 135mm Canon.

P

Paratom

Hey Tom,

From corroboration of various reviews (DxO, SLR Gear, Photozone, Photoblographer, et. al.) and constant views of images taken by the lens on the flickr APP on a high resolution iPad (which by the way is an amazing way to explore the capability of a lens you're considering to get a sense of it) I just felt that the Canon, as highly regarded as it was, simply didn't hold a candle to the Sigma. PLUS, the price of the Sigma was HALF (I got it from Digital Rev for $799).

In fact, I felt the other canon lenses that were considered were actually better. But with a camera like the 6D which presented the potential for amazing low light performance (AF down to -3 eV, phenomenal noise suppression for color as high as ISO 6400 and even higher in BW along with a VERY silent DSLR shutter) I definitely was going to get a good f1.4. Plus 35mm has always been my favorite FF FOV (slightly wider than 'normal' to give you a sense of being there).

The 35mm Sigma has been so amazing the next lens I hope to get is a rumored Sigma 135mm f1.8. Of course, if that doesn't materialize I will definitely get the 135mm f2 Canon. But my guess if there IS a Sigma 135mm A class lens it will utterly trounce the 135mm Canon.

P
yesterday evening I borrow both lenses and shot some quick shots this morning. I needed to do some focus fine calibration for the Sigma, which then seems to focus fine. I need to do the same for the Canon. But from the first impression I also prefer the Sigma. The color of the Sigma seems slightly warmer and I like the rolloff from the focus plane to the OOF-area-seems very slightly smoother too with the Sigma. Plus the "definition" in the center seems to have a little more micro contrast.
Handlingwise I slightly prefer the Canon but the Sigma also feels very good.
I will run some more images the next days, but I have a very good feeling I will end with the same lens you did/do.
Over the last year I have changed so that I now use more often 35mm instead of 50 (which has been my main focal length for a long time).

Regarding 135mm....I am totally happy with the 135/2.0. If the Sigma gets any better - great. But to beat the Canon 135/2.0 will be hard.

peterb

Hi Tom,

Don't get me wrong the Canon 135mm f2 is a fantastic lens that is perhaps only bested by the Zeiss 135 f2 ZE. But that lens is manual focus and over double the price. If a Sigma 135mm f1.8 does come out it will have to be VERY good to beat the Canon. And price wise it will probably be only a little less if even that!

Both lenses will be great. And there will be no wrong choice!

Paratom

Hi Peter,
after comparing the 35/1.4L and the 35/1.4 Sigma I have decided to buy the Sigma. It really seems to be an impressive lens from my first experiences.
I even go so far that I now be believe the 5dIII is capable for more than I expected from using it with other (good) lenses.
Have you ever tried the 85/1.4 Sigma?

peterb

Hi Tom,

I've heard many good things about the Sigma 85mm but haven't tried it. It's a VERY highly rated by DxO as a good mate for Canon but for the moment I am waiting to see if the rumored Sigma 135mm f1.8 materializes. If it doesn't happen then I will decide between the Sigma 85mm f1.4 and the Canon 135mm f2 with my decision being based on what I see on Flickr with my iPad.

I do have the Samyang 85mm f1.4 which has some very impressive center sharpness wide open (at this focal length edge sharpness isn't that critical for me since it's mostly for portraiture or 'Brenizer' style shots). The down side is it's manual focus-only and it does not have the 'sensor strip' that allows the camera to access aperture data or provide focus confirmation.

Here are some results I saw on flicker taken by a wonderful photographer who calls himself Jack O'donate using the 85mm sigma with a Nikon D600.

The Brenizer Method - a set on Flickr

Jack O'Donate's photosets on Flickr

He also has some REALLY wonderful shots with the Sigma 35mm f1.4 A.

Abstract & graphic / Nikon D600 - a set on Flickr

B.t.w., his work was what got me charged up about the Sigma in the first place!

P