The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D90 vs Canon eos 40d

Rawfa

I've tried the D90 and I was completely blown away by the image quality, but I need a "what you see is what you get" live view and the D90 doesn't have that. The Canon EOS 40D DOES have this type of live view. I was wondering if anyone has experienced both cameras and could share their experience image wise.

thanks,

Rafa

M

medinaphoto1

I use the 40D and have not used the liveview to date.

Lars

If you are heading into SLR territory for the first time, perhaps the first decision is what brand of lenses you want to invest in. Cameras come and go. If I started from scratch with DSLR I'd look at Sony as well.

I have to concur that I seldom see an advantage in using live view over an optical TTL finder.

robertwright

I have a 5DII. Also used the 1dsmkIII a lot, which was my first experience with live view.

I actually find live view very helpful in a number of situations, on tripod doing interiors it is a godsend, you can magnify to focus exactly where you want it, not just under the AF marks.

Shooting portraits is another area where I like it, again, on tripod, I can magnify the face to hold focus, and then go back to the full view to approximate a large format ground glass. Then I can watch in real time and interact with the subject in a way that is different than looking through the viewfinder, which I tend to not want to do if I am in a portrait setting.

also recently I just found you can modify the picture styles and they are shown in the live view, in bw you can apply bw filtration in real time on live view. Way cool.

I think its great. sort of like a groundglass option for me.

Mark K

If you are heading into SLR territory for the first time, perhaps the first decision is what brand of lenses you want to invest in. Cameras come and go. If I started from scratch with DSLR I'd look at Sony as well.

I have to concur that I seldom see an advantage in using live view over an optical TTL finder.
I believe in future I will consider using live view
Despite my collection of Minolta lenses and Sony bodies, I am still struggling hard to get decent images from them....perhaps a decent RAW converter is needed:toocool:

Robert Campbell

Live view was seem as a gimmick when it first arrived...however, as robertwright says, it is actually very useful for accurate manual focussing -- when the camera is on a tripod. It makes the use of tilt/shift lenses easier. You can also use EOS utitity to view the live view on a laptop [but, alas, not on a netbook] for an even better view. The articulated screens on some cameras would make it more useful when the camera isn't around eye level.

Live view isn't suited to chimping -- the cameras are just too heavy to hold at arm's length.