The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

5D MK I is it still worth it?

D

David A

I've used medium format for years scanned using a Nikon 8000D. I've also used a Fuji S9500 for quite some time. Now the 5D II is out some people will be ditching their MK I's and going II's which means the second hand market for them might be good, but are they still worth going for if the deal is good?

David

Homey

David.
If the deal is right then yes. It is a great camera.

I am sorry David but that comment fits into the main "keeping up with the Jones" trend.
That trend says that since the new MII is this and has that and this many mega pixels. Now all of a sudden the M I is a piece of junk and I can't believe we used it this long..
I call B/S..
The 5 D is a fantastic camera and if 12 mega pix fits your needs then of course its worth buying if the deal is right.

Steven

robertwright

agree absolutely. the 5D is and was a landmark camera. Still very hard to beat.
:Dunless you buy the 5DmkII and shoot sRAW1 which is 12mp and looks exactly like the 5D:eek:

of course that does not make sense given 2700 vs. 1400 odd dollars, but, if you liked the 5D and wanted the best of both, you can always shoot sRAW1.

seriously, for the price of the new 5D you could have the old 5D and some great glass, which is better than the new 5D and bad glass.

Stuart Richardson

I don't know if it is still worth it in the subjective sense, or in buying one today, but I can tell you that I am assisting for a large shoot on Thursday. It is for an airline, there will be 15 models, several of whom are being flown in from out of the country. The photographer is going to shoot it with a 5D.

mazor

5D is still a good cam, just make sure when you get it, you check for focus issues as in back focusing. It seems with the 5D, Canon had problems making them all perfect. The best test is to bring in a 50mm f1.2L and mount it onto the 5D, and test close focusing where depth of field is like super narrow. If it hits most of the time, then you have a goodie, otherwise, dont' get that copy of the 5D.

Mazor

Geoff Smith

Absolutely the orig. 5D is worth it. One of best all-around cameras I've ever owned, regardless of format. I did recently upgrade to the 5D Mk II but I still think the 5D I is a great camera especially if you shoot raw. The files have always had a creamy smoothness that reminds me of film and the files are very malleable and take sharpening and uprezzing very well. I would take a well-exposed, low-ISO shot from the 5D to 16x20 without hesitation. The 5D Mk II offers 1-2 paper sizes larger enlargement sizes (for me) and vastly superior high-ISO performance above about ISO 1600. Below ISO 1600, modulo the resolution differences, I find the image quality very similar (perhaps a touch more dynamic range on the 5D II). For what it's worth, I still own my orig. 5D and have no plans to part with it. I'm keeping it mostly as a backup, but also for times when I don't need the enormous (drive-space-devouring) files the 5D II produces.

robertwright

well another bump for the 5DII-focus calibration. I've used it already and it works!

that said, whatever defaults the 5DII raw file imposes in C1 and Lr, the contrast and saturation are too high compared to the original 5D which was much more to my liking. I spend more time dialing the new camera back.

as for other differences, the 14bit does not seem to make that much of a difference, the screen is so much better, live view is very handy to me, the Auto ISO is not implemented well (no limits like on the M8-hows that for Leica getting something right!)--pretty much a mixed bag.

For the original price the 5D was worth it, nothing changes that, so now that it is cheaper, it is even a better deal. It will be one of those cameras that has a life long after EOL. Like the OM-4, LX-1, Contax T2, yashica t4, etc etc. so much more bang for buck.

dseelig

Look if making up to 16 by 20 is it for you if the $1100. is alot for you. If you need lenses then by all means get a 5d. the Mk 11 is better in alot of ways iso performance sensor clean and crop easier. but how big do you print and how much glass do you own.