The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

September 2014

gazwas

AF would be the main reason for me :)
Yes, never thought of the 5D3 focus improvements, a worthy upgrade over the 5D2 however, 95% of every shot I take is with a TS-E......

Now don't get me started on the 45mm TS-E replacement. ;)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Yes, never thought of the 5D3 focus improvements, a worthy upgrade over the 5D2 however, 95% of every shot I take is with a TS-E......

Now don't get me started on the 45mm TS-E replacement. ;)
If I would switch to Canon again, it would be the 5D3 for me without any doubt. One of the best cameras ever designed!

fotografz

While looking on the net I stumbled across a site called Canon Rumours and what struck me is how little activity there is regarding (as the site title suggests) Canon rumours.

Seems rather strange just a few days before Photokina opens?

I remember before the 1Ds3 launch there was lots of info bouncing around about it so has Canon locked down its R&D department or is the D810 rival still months and months away (2015 or even Photokina 2016):confused:
Just to keep this thread going so Canon gets some band-width here ;)

I wonder how much Canon is driven by marketing events like Photokina verses events like the Olympics? Wasn't the 1Dx launched just prior to the 2012 Summer Olympics? I seem to recall that as a launch pattern, verses the various marketing events.

I'll tell you one thing, be careful what you wish for. I've found that the drive for ever better Dynamic Range has added huge amounts of Post time. Okay for those fiddling around with a few images, but a real PITA for people like me who push through 1,000+ files per week-end shooting weddings. I hated my Nikon D3X because of that.

- Marc

gazwas

I'll tell you one thing, be careful what you wish for. I've found that the drive for ever better Dynamic Range has added huge amounts of Post time. Okay for those fiddling around with a few images, but a real PITA for people like me who push through 1,000+ files per week-end shooting weddings. I hated my Nikon D3X because of that.
What is the issue that adds so much more time in post?

With regards to events like Photokina I always thought Canon did what the hell they want like pulling out of shows they've lost interest in to releasing cameras (1ds3) when they were ready (August 2007?) rather than wow crowds at shows.

And now I see the 7D2 announcement /specs I think that Sony A7R is looking ever more likely to be in my hands before the end of the year.

fotografz

What is the issue that adds so much more time in post?

With regards to events like Photokina I always thought Canon did what the hell they want like pulling out of shows they've lost interest in to releasing cameras (1ds3) when they were ready (August 2007?) rather than wow crowds at shows.

And now I see the 7D2 announcement /specs I think that Sony A7R is looking ever more likely to be in my hands before the end of the year.
In my experience some cameras tuned for, or capable of, greater dynamic range tend to produce flatter files out of camera. This is great for more shot-to-shot consistent lighting scenarios and/or lower volume shooting where additional time in post is not an issue.

For me (and many other wedding/event or higher volume shooters), where shot-to shot lighting can vary significantly it can mean a lot more time in post to produce consistency across 500 to 1,000 images at a crack.

Presets can help, but in reality the huge spread of lighting scenarios I deal with makes it far less effective than one may think.

In most cases, the amount of images in "real need" of greater dynamic range is quite low, so while the initial flatter files help in a few cases, they caused significant additional attention for the vast majority of remaining shots.

When I switched from the Nikon D3X to a Sony A900 which used the same 24meg FF Sony sensor, my PP time was instantly cut in half. While I love my Leica M Monochrome, the files are notoriously flat and require individual processing of every shot to extract the full potential, usually in Nik Silver-Efex Pro which is slow going when you have 300 B&W shots to wade through.

IMO, Canon has always done a decent job of balancing between dynamic range and reasonably easy PP files. In past Canon has been the overwhelming system of choice for wedding/event and higher volume shooters. Whether they still are is a matter of conjecture, but most wedding, sports, and auto racing pals of mine still shoot Canon.

Different strokes for different folks.

- Marc

jlm

Workshop Member
i think the 5D has become extremely popular , especially for shooting video with a still camera. would expect Canon to focus on that model

gazwas

In my experience some cameras tuned for, or capable of, greater dynamic range tend to produce flatter files out of camera. This is great for more shot-to-shot consistent lighting scenarios and/or lower volume shooting where additional time in post is not an issue.
I shoot a lot of interiors and quite like that flat look. I just wish I didn't have to use a Sony with a crappy adapter to get it...... :mad: