The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 5Ds/5DsR

turtle

Canon has great lenses now for a high res camera, but my question is about DR as well. I'd rather 36MP, great DR and a well rounded camera, than 12 stops and severe banding upon heavy manipulation.

I will be pleasantly surprised if this is a Canon sensor AND has the DR and banding issue licked. My instincts tell me no, but then again Canon may claim the sensor in the same way as many singers claim to have written the songs they sing.

We will know very soon! As for price, it won't be cheap, but the 5D IV is coming later this year it seems and will retain far greater speed and high ISO. they can keep the 5DS priced sensibly and hope to sell you both.

gazwas

Hopefully this marks signs of a more significant 1Ds III body successor...
+2

And some talented Canon engineer have cracked being able to incorporate a global shutter into it as well then I'll hapliy take both 5Ds now and 1Ds later in the year..... :watch:

Lictor

Someone over at dpr has listed the most common complaints about this yet to be released camera :ROTFL:

1 Too many pixels
2 Too much noise at high ISO (related to (1))
3 Too soft (no good enough lenses for it)
4 Low DR (without even knowing anything about it)
5 Too expensive
6 It's a "brick"
7 It's a "dinosaur" - no EVF
8 Highest ISO too low
9 5 fps only
10 Not as balanced as the 5D3

I think he forgot "Not enough pixels" and "Lowest ISO to high" ;)
There is also the "Not big enough" complaint :D

Harry

Photorumors quote

" Canon EOS 5Ds: €3,499 (around $4,000)
Canon EOS 5Ds R (no low-pass filter): €3,699 (around $4,200)
Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM: €2,999 (around $3,400)

Expect the US prices to be lower.

Read more on PhotoRumors.com: http://photorumors.com/#ixzz3QnRDkw3h"

Also everything I have read says Sony sensor which will also manufacture the Nikon 50mp on a different line this year

ShooterSteve

In retrospect (from a photographer's point of view), I think it was a mistake to merge the 1D and 1Ds lines. It probably made business sense because of the comparatively limited number of sales at the top. But at the same time it feels like Canon really forgot about professional (still) photographers.

1Dx never floated my boat. It struck me as a stop-gap measure body. Some improvements but nothing that knocked my socks off for my uses. At this point I just need a solid replacement in light of my aging 1Ds III. Don't need 50+/- megapixels. Just a couple more really usable stops of performance would make me happy---and in a 1D series body.

ken
I too always had the 1D series bodies until the 5D3 came along. I used the 1DX on a few jobs and liked it but it certainly didn't offer anything for me that the 5D3 didn't already do for a lot less money. I hear the same thing from many other pros too. Now with the newer 5D models coming out, it may be a while before they bother with a 1D upgrade. I don't think I'd every buy one again.

gazwas

Seems like the AA filter is not removed as with the Nikon D810 but has an additional low pass cancellation filter similar to the original Nikon D800E according to the leaked official (supposedly) press release.

EOS 5DS R: Engineered for the ultimate in DSLR image quality
When nothing but the absolute maximum level of detail possible will do, the EOS 5DS R features a low pass cancellation filter to ensure the sharpest possible results. Great for landscape photographers, where patterns are very often organic, the camera’s low pass cancellation filter produces the stunning level of detail required to turn agreat shot into an incredible shot.

turtle

... and regardless of DR, what this means for pattern noise/banding under rigorous processing. Canon will be rumbled very quickly if they are delivering a weak solution to the issues many Canon users have been raising....

Remains to be seen if "wide dynamic range" is the same as "high dynamic range" :)

gazwas

... and regardless of DR, what this means for pattern noise/banding under rigorous processing. Canon will be rumbled very quickly if they are delivering a weak solution to the issues many Canon users have been raising....
Trying not to sound like a Canon fanboy but pattern noise/banding is just a sign you've pushed the file way too much isn't it? My Canon's are 1Ds3 and 5D2 and always think the image looks all funky (flat) and just wrong when pulling the shadows long before I see any issues with noise. The same went for my Phase One back so not just a Canon trait. It's bery possible due to my cameras being older generation chips (?) but I've never seen banding in any of my images so am I doing something wrong?

Isn't the whole banding, pattern noise, light flare (or what ever the forum room hot topics are) are just discovered by poeple who love shooting pictures of brick walls, unrealistically testing their cameras hoping to find issues for kicks?

Last edited:
An odd, and disappointing, product. I was hoping for Canon to raise the bar (like they used to do) and push the other guys to do even greater things. It's like they haven't been paying attention at all.

iiiNelson

An odd, and disappointing, product. I was hoping for Canon to raise the bar (like they used to do) and push the other guys to do even greater things. It's like they haven't been paying attention at all.
You can do everything (outdoors wise) with this one body - stunning landscapes/portraits at 50 megapixels and even wildlife or sporting shots in the crop mode that provide 20 or 30 megapixel RAW files. Sure the ISO could be expanded further but it the ISO 3200 or 6400 is relatively clean I don't think there's much to complain about.

Maybe I need to pay closer attention but it seems like a decent addition for the Canon shooters. I thought the built in crop modes would make this work well for everyone from landscape/portrait to wildlife shooters.

Harry

Really,

Doubling the MP's is not raising the bar. Phase One and HB are shaking in their boots!

I guess you need 100MP and DR of 20EV to make a statement