Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Canon 5Ds/5DsR

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Canon 5Ds/5DsR

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    They look excellent and the construction images on the 5DsR have no signs of moire so a good indication for us Architectural shooters.
    Yes they looked better than I thought they would, but there is a little moire, look at the fence at the bottom for example, attached a crop. It's not so easily seen, but it's there, look the tints of the fence changing between green/cyan and magenta, there should be no such colors there. Also note that the image is quarter size so it would be a little bit easier to see in full resolution.

It seems likely that moire will be milder than we're used to from MFD, but it will be there.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I did notice that but ever so slight and probably very easy to fix. Also noticed some strange patterns in brickwork on the skyline shot but I'm struggling to see any real disadvantages or problems in these files. For architectural photographers I think it look very promising.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe pixel peep joy will win on this one . It will depend on time one has to make post-processing work to fixup any moire issues, I guess it's more likely that one will leave the moire as is and hope no-one will notice (which probably is the most likely case, as it looks like it's going to be relatively mild).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    Maybe pixel peep joy will win on this one .

Yes, looking over these files with a fine tooth comb specifically looking for problems is not my usual practice when processing my images so I think the above very slight issues would easily pass for any client.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say that the sample files are not as disappointing as many supposed reviewers said they would be, and these are downsized to boot.

Perhaps there is some more promise than the doomsayers lead us to believe.
    Bryan

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” — Ansel Adams
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So will any of you buy one?

Will you keep your "other" Canon DSLR as a backup?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post

I'm picking up the 5Ds and adding the 5D4 later on. My only disappointment is the new 50MP cameras come in a 5D3 body, not the upcoming 5D4.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see any reason not to get one as it looks excellent having seen the test shots from the prototype cameras currently on the web. The only reason I can see not to buy one is if Sony do sonething amazing with the A7RII and by amazing I don't mean just adding 50Mpix to the current A7II body.

Post Thanks / Like

Even if Sony does do something amazing, I find that each camera system is unique in its own way.

Until I recently switched out of Nikon (mainly for what I was using the Nikon to shoot), I had a D810 and the Sony a7R and while I know the sensor is shared between the two, shooting each is different and the Sony kit is just more compact and easier to take on a quick trip, instead of taking the much larger Nikon kit. I will be getting the 5Dsr and will still keep, and possibly upgrade my Sony a7R.
    Bryan

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” — Ansel Adams

Post Thanks / Like

I, for one, will not. I much prefer the "feel" and substance of the 1D bodies and, perhaps more importantly, there is no means of mounting a split image focusing screen in a 5D body. No doubt given the cameras increased resolution this will become even more of a necessity when working with manual focus (Zeiss) lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    I don't see any reason not to get one as it looks excellent having seen the test shots from the prototype cameras currently on the web. The only reason I can see not to buy one is if Sony do sonething amazing with the A7RII and by amazing I don't mean just adding 50Mpix to the current A7II body.
    I'm waiting for the next Sony Iteration which should address all of the issues associated with the current release (vibration..... etc). It will also be 50+ pixels and will have greater dynamic range than the 5Ds. Time will tell....

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pesto View Post
    I, for one, will not. I much prefer the "feel" and substance of the 1D bodies and, perhaps more importantly, there is no means of mounting a split image focusing screen in a 5D body.
    I'm with you on both of those points but I imagine many using a 50Mpix camera will be very much tripod bound and focused by live view so to me the body is less important and I can't remember the last time I used the viewfinder for critical focus from the moment I purchased a Canon 40D.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Impressive stuff and can't wait to see how the Sony A7RII compares to the 5DsR.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ceh for the link.
    I played a little bit with the (underexposed) raw files to make a comparison,
    here the jpeg 1600px height version of the Canon:

Post Thanks / Like

and the Leica S2 one (resolution of those jpegs are lost in compression of course):

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer a whole bunch the Leica color balance. The Canon's looks too red. Even the eyes look red.
    I wonder if this has something to do with the problem appointed by Lloyd Chambers.
    Impressive camera nonetheless
    Eduardo

Post Thanks / Like

The Canon file is not easy to balance.
    Tried Adobe profile, then Canon Portrait then Canon Neutral which gave a better result on this particular shot, in Lightroom. But couldn't find a well balanced setting (too red/blue or too green/yellow). Maybe DPP is the way to go until this color profile issue is solved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got 5Ds last week, and trip to Grand Canyon
    Name:  GCS-009.jpg
Views: 1512
Size:  118.9 KB

Name:  GCS-023T_resize.jpg
Views: 3271
Size:  134.5 KB

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Not much discussion about the 5Ds, despite deliveries ramping up slowly.
    I played with one at my local photo store. It felt quite nice, the new LCD-type viewfinder (showing 1.6 and 1.3 crops directly in the viewfinder) was pretty cool.
    Coming from a 1Ds mk 3 and original 7D, it felt "modern". Lots of different options to set, I suspect I would have to read the manual once to setup the camera as I want it.
    Still, I'm going to wait for 5DsR vs Sony Alpha A7RII comparisons. I now use an A7R with my Canon glass and quite like it. The AF is slow, and I would need a body for my wildlife stuff (I don't see myself using the 500mm f/4 handheld with the A7R).
    So I have to see how much DR I lose with the Canon, vs how much convenience I gain with a native Canon body vs the Sony.
    Still, the 5DsR looked like a very decent body. If it had 1-2 Stops better DR, it would already have been in my shopping cart.

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased the 5Ds and did some testing (not extensive) comparing it with my Sony A7r with Metabones lll adapter. Although my testing wasn't extensive, I prefer the files from my A7r. I had high hopes for the Canon, wanting to get back to a native mount with all of my Canon, Sigma mount lenses but it just didn't work out for me. I returned the Canon to my dealer and immediately ordered the Sony A7r ll.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, what did you prefer about the files from the A7R and dislike about the 5DS files?

Post Thanks / Like

I was quite excited about the idea of a hi res Canon camera - as like many others I have some really nice Canon L series lenses - however I am just not seeing any reviews which give it a great rap - if it had come out 3-5 years ago, then it would have made a splash I suspect, but now it just seems a bit disappointing. The rather modest, by todays standard's dynamic range, the iso performance at 800iso seems to be heading in the direction of my IQ180 at 400iso - and for a CMOS sensor this seems well, dare I say it again disappointing.

Clean files to 1600iso would be fine, BUT for this little black duck I can't see me spending any money on one at this stage. Maybe the 5Dsr2 will be the dream camera!!!!

Mal

Post Thanks / Like

How does the 5Ds accomplish this? I am really and seriously curious to know.

L. Chambers seems to be really really enthusiastic about this camera. I would be off the wall if it wasn't for the existence of the A7r2. I'll wait for real-life experiences before I decide the purchase but I'm afraid I'm already biased for the Sony. At this point in my life and after 35 years as a photographer, I find more exciting and more interesting for my photography the extra DR than the extra resolution.

Thanks in advanced.
    Eduardo

Quote Originally Posted by miska View Post
    Not much discussion about the 5Ds, despite deliveries ramping up slowly.
    I played with one at my local photo store. It felt quite nice, the new LCD-type viewfinder (showing 1.6 and 1.3 crops directly in the viewfinder) was pretty cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Hi, what did you prefer about the files from the A7R and dislike about the 5DS files?
    The dynamic range of the files is the main reason. I have grown accustomed to the EVF (which will be even better in the A7r ll) and how I can manually focus with live view and nail the focus every time.
    Regards,
    J. Paul
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

This was a pretty interesting read:
    https://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2015/0...he-canon-5dsr/
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Apart from the internet rumblings of the complaints about DR, every review I read and sample RAW I've downloaded points to the 5Ds being an amazing camera. I've personally held off ordering one until I see more from the new Sony but the more I read about it, the more tempting it becomes.

Post Thanks / Like

I was waiting for this camera and also the new Phase One camera to fit my IQ180.

So far I am trying to get excited about the 5Ds or sr but it always just seems to fall short - I see the images and I want them to be good but they seem to be soft and lack something. I am happy to admit that there is more to see and maybe I will fall in love - but not yet.

On the other hand the new XF camera with the waist level view finder gets a tick but a single focus point makes me screw up my face and shake my head slowly - maybe but it is not clear cut either.

we will see. I am looking forward to a member here saying yes I have one, and here are some RAWS to share that are punchy and exciting.

Mal

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mal...I've just had it for few days. I don't have anything to prove to you but the 5DS has blown me away with my 17mm T/S, 24mm T/S II and 300mm f/4. It is definitely a worthwhile upgrade from 5D Mark III. I tried sony A7R. IQ was great but the handling was not for me.

This is the best 35mm-DSLR I've ever used, including Nikon D810 and Sony A7R, for landscape photography and it's getting closer to MFD. It took my breath away the first time I looked @ the JPEG (at that time I didn't update my PS). If the 5DSR is slightly better, I don't care. The 5DS has already met my standard, same as IQ180 meeting my standard for MFDB. It may not look good on paper for ISO capability but I am a landscape photographer and use the camera on tripod most of the time. Compared to the 5D Mark III, it's significant better though.

I've chosen the 5DS because my previous experience with the D800 and D800e which I didn't see difference in IQ after the processing and on the print. I've got this one from the FM Forum in brand new condition with $500 discount.

Best regards,
    Pramote

Post Thanks / Like

Presumably you bought it from an early adopter who decided to move on? Bless early adopters

At the end of the day, its whatever works for you, right? I'm a Canon and Sony A7/A7R user and can see how the simplicity of adding a high res Canon body makes a lot of sense. For me personally, I wanted much more DR for shooting cityscapes at night, but if a person's uses do not require more than 12 stops, the the 5DS is a bit of a no brainer for Canon users.

The link shown earlier (this one) does show some improvements over the 5D III when it comes to lifting deep shadows, which was sorely needed IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Landscapelover View Post
    Mal...I've just had it for few days. I don't have anything to prove to you but the 5DS has blown me away with my 17mm T/S, 24mm T/S II and 300mm f/4. It is definitely a worthwhile upgrade from 5D Mark III. I tried sony A7R. IQ was great but the handling was not for me.

This is the best 35mm-DSLR I've ever used, including Nikon D810 and Sony A7R, for landscape photography and it's getting closer to MFD. It took my breath away the first time I looked @ the JPEG (at that time I didn't update my PS). If the 5DSR is slightly better, I don't care. The 5DS has already met my standard, same as IQ180 meeting my standard for MFDB. It may not look good on paper for ISO capability but I am a landscape photographer and use the camera on tripod most of the time. Compared to the 5D Mark III, it's significant better though.

I've chosen the 5DS because my previous experience with the D800 and D800e which I didn't see difference in IQ after the processing and on the print. I've got this one from the FM Forum in brand new condition with $500 discount.

Best regards,
    Pramote

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Landscapelover View Post

Best regards,
    Pramote
    Like I have always stated , I want to like this camera - so any reservations I express are just that reservations not criticisms.
    It is good to know you are using this camera back to back with an IQ180 because that would be my situation exactly.

I have already purchased the new 11-24mm Canon super wide lens - but now having cold feet about the 5Ds/sr - just want to avoid the disappointment if I find the files not to my liking.

The camera would be my easy to go to camera when we travel - I have some really nice Canon lenses and all I am lacking for the Canon family is a good high res camera body - as I will keep my 1D mk4 -

So if at some stage you could share some RAW files for me to examine on my computer that would be fantastic. I will be away from my desk for the next seven or eight weeks on a field trip so there is no hurry.

So glad you are loving your camera.

Mal

Post Thanks / Like

The familiarity and simplicity of just slapping a lens on a high-res Canon body is such a bonus in my view. My only problem is my inner gear head wonders what the extra DR of the Sony could bring to my photography even though I've managed perfectly well with my 1Ds3 (using additional lighting) for all my interiors and still life work I currently shoot.

I can honestly say I don't have problems with blown highlights or issues with lifting shadows in my pictures so not sure where I would see the advantages but I still can't help being drawn into the attraction of the modern tech in the Sony sensor. I'm doubtful the Sony will allow me to sell all my Bron battery lighting and the Sony is no longer at a price where if it doesn't work out its no great loss.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mal...

Our expectations may be different. To me, Canon lenses are designed to use with the Canon camera. I can't just accept the handling of Canon lenses on Sony A7R. AF with Metabone is just frustrating. The body of A7R is too small to me and I lost my enjoyment of taking pictures, no matter how good the files are (actually not much for landscape photography in general). I've always bring it with my Phase One but ended up never used it.

You may have to accept the Canon sensor is not perfect but to me it's pretty damn good. Two choices, cut loss and sell all Canon lenses. The other, lives with it (5DS/5DSR)! I think its IQ is the closest to MFD so far, at least to me. I don't think you will be happy putting the canon lenses (especially AF) on a tiny body of A7RII. I just can't live with it.

I've just sent the links to my raw files of my test shots to you.

I hope you can make a decision one way or another.

Best regards

Pramote

Quote Originally Posted by malmac View Post
    Like I have always stated , I want to like this camera - so any reservations I express are just that reservations not criticisms.
    It is good to know you are using this camera back to back with an IQ180 because that would be my situation exactly.

I have already purchased the new 11-24mm Canon super wide lens - but now having cold feet about the 5Ds/sr - just want to avoid the disappointment if I find the files not to my liking.

The camera would be my easy to go to camera when we travel - I have some really nice Canon lenses and all I am lacking for the Canon family is a good high res camera body - as I will keep my 1D mk4 -

So if at some stage you could share some RAW files for me to examine on my computer that would be fantastic. I will be away from my desk for the next seven or eight weeks on a field trip so there is no hurry.

So glad you are loving your camera.

Mal

Post Thanks / Like

got mine yesterday..im using with with a zeiss markro planar 100mm lens.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150731-3M2A0047.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	565.6 KB 
ID:	93813Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150731-3M2A0061.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	440.8 KB 
ID:	93814Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150731-3M2A0039.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	933.5 KB 
ID:	93815Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150731-3M2A0037.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	300.6 KB 
ID:	93816Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150731-3M2A0050.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	348.6 KB 
ID:	93817

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Chris Giles Photography
    Thanks 7 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Giles View Post
    Good read Chris! I like unabashed, real world reviews devoid of the herd mentality.

As wedding shooter for decades, I can relate to how you are evaluating this new camera. However, I think that it could also fit many other photographic categories that have similar demands or lesser demands. Point being that wedding work is something of an acid test.

I tend to agree with you regarding the latest internet buzz words … DR. While I get it for certain applications where you are selectively shooting a few images and can spend the time in post to optimize them, 1,000 flat-toned, high DR images from a wedding is another matter altogether. Like you, I subscribe to the notion that "if the tonal range is that wide", break out the lighting to bring it back into balance … Duh!

Frankly, in retrospect, moving to Sony turned out to be a mistake for me. While the A900 was a decent wedding camera in need of some improvement (like dual parallel shooting to two cards), Sony abandoned the whole A900 philosophy in favor of EVF and lots of consumerist oriented stuff with the A99 replacement. The A99 and A7R both suffer from a delay that impacts deceive moment images so important to wedding work as well as other similar applications. The dog's breakfast Sony controls on their cameras may satisfy gamers and those inclined to love mastering and remastering cameras every year or so, but it is a real headache when it requires a degree from MIT to future out some simple setting.

I do not consider any still camera Sony makes as Pro level … not that a Pro can't make one work … Sony just misses on so many levels. Another disappointment is Sony's failure to influence third party makers of Pro accessories. A perfect example of this is Profoto's move to TTL control and HSS abilities with their B1 and B2 lighting … only possible with Canon or Nikon cameras.

As an aside, my hat is off to you for doing upwards of 50 weddings a year. OMG!

- Marc
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Good read Chris! I like unabashed, real world reviews devoid of the herd mentality.

As wedding shooter for decades, I can relate to how you are evaluating this new camera. However, I think that it could also fit many other photographic categories that have similar demands or lesser demands. Point being that wedding work is something of an acid test.

I tend to agree with you regarding the latest internet buzz words … DR. While I get it for certain applications where you are selectively shooting a few images and can spend the time in post to optimize them, 1,000 flat-toned, high DR images from a wedding is another matter altogether. Like you, I subscribe to the notion that "if the tonal range is that wide", break out the lighting to bring it back into balance … Duh!

Frankly, in retrospect, moving to Sony turned out to be a mistake for me. While the A900 was a decent wedding camera in need of some improvement (like dual parallel shooting to two cards), Sony abandoned the whole A900 philosophy in favor of EVF and lots of consumerist oriented stuff with the A99 replacement. The A99 and A7R both suffer from a delay that impacts deceive moment images so important to wedding work as well as other similar applications. The dog's breakfast Sony controls on their cameras may satisfy gamers and those inclined to love mastering and remastering cameras every year or so, but it is a real headache when it requires a degree from MIT to future out some simple setting.

I do not consider any still camera Sony makes as Pro level … not that a Pro can't make one work … Sony just misses on so many levels. Another disappointment is Sony's failure to influence third party makers of Pro accessories. A perfect example of this is Profoto's move to TTL control and HSS abilities with their B1 and B2 lighting … only possible with Canon or Nikon cameras.

As an aside, my hat is off to you for doing upwards of 50 weddings a year. OMG!

- Marc
    Thanks Marc. The AF is certainly much improved over the 5D3 and 1DX, speed is around the same yet the accuracy is better. Something has changed with this body in regards the AF.

I'm finding that I still use the 1DX for the night shots, ISO performance and file size being the key reasons but the daytime weight reduction has meant the three weddings in a row that I just shot have not caused any shoulder pain or neck stiffness.
    Chris Giles Photography

Post Thanks / Like

And this matters. There is nothing like physical discomfort to mess up one's creative mojo.

Further reviews on the 5DS suggest they have made some significant gains in low ISO noise/read noise, because the files respond so much better than 5D III files to shadow lifting. This helps offset the very limited improvement in DR.

I have also noted some very low grey market prices for the 5DS, suggesting that this model is not selling nearly as well as the 5DS-R, perhaps?

... the daytime weight reduction has meant the three weddings in a row that I just shot have not caused any shoulder pain or neck stiffness.

Post Thanks / Like

i found the 5DS was available quite easily here in SE asia..and with discounts even from canon+resellers..the 5D-SR on the other hand was totally sold out..though i did get mine once the next shipment arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    And this matters. There is nothing like physical discomfort to mess up one's creative mojo.

Further reviews on the 5DS suggest they have made some significant gains in low ISO noise/read noise, because the files respond so much better than 5D III files to shadow lifting. This helps offset the very limited improvement in DR.

I have also noted some very low grey market prices for the 5DS, suggesting that this model is not selling nearly as well as the 5DS-R, perhaps?

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the 5DS R mostly for architecture, but also for travel/landscape. I tried it for birding recently, and got this one of a dragon fly that was passing by. It's at 200 ISO and I had the metering set for all points and set at settings Art Morris recommends for birding on his site Birds as Art. It is 100% crop at this point, so originally it was tiny on the screen, but with the 51MP's it really pulls it in.

Very happy with the camera.

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001 - dragon fly.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	269.4 KB 
ID:	94104  

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered a second 5DSr, too impressed with the AF improvement.
    Chris Giles Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Good review. You're still an enabler, but good review. I really don't want to spend money on another Canon (or any other brand) DSLR. But you just may have convinced me to reconsider.

ken

Post Thanks / Like

I posted this image to the "Fun with . . . " thread a couple of days ago. This was my first real time out the with 5DSR. Put a 10 stop Firecrest ND filter on a 24mm TSE. So far I really love the camera and am absolutely crazy about the filter. Unlike the Lee Big Stopper, virtually no color cast. [ATTACH=CONFIG]94701
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here is another image with the 5DSR (70-200 lens) taken a week ago in the Masai Mara. The new Sony sounds very appealing, but I am not about to change entire systems. Very happy thus far.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_11A1842.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	582.6 KB 
ID:	94708
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting review

Post Thanks / Like

Best AF sistem Canon offers ( excluding the new 1DX mk II) and the best image resolutin 50 MP, 2 years back a Hasselblad had this resolution.
    SUperb job Canon!
    Canon 6D | Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II | Canon EF 35 f/1.4 L II | Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L II | Canon 16-35 f4 L IS
    fotograf nunta brasov | fotograf nunta | foto nunta brasov

Post Thanks / Like

They are quite cheap now so I'm considering getting one, I have a mkIII that sits unused as a back-up and I use a Sony A7r on a cambo Actus which is fantastic and gets used for most jobs but what I love about the canons is the hand-held usability and instinctive shooting and the easy to understand buttons/menus. Thing is it's not something I do a lot of but I have to have that ability when those jobs come in.
    I could probably flog the mkIII and trade up for just under £1k for a grey import body.
    TBH it would become a back-up or be used for AF/moving things/people but I like the idea of taking it on holidays/walks and looking through a real viewfinder with focus that works.
    I think the answer is to hire one and see how I like it. I guess my older 70-200 2.8 L (non-IS) will not cut it any more.
    never trust the opinion of anyone who lists a load of gear in their forum signature. Dealers do not email me asking to buy your products.