The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 5Ds/5DsR

miska

Not much discussion about the 5Ds, despite deliveries ramping up slowly.
I played with one at my local photo store. It felt quite nice, the new LCD-type viewfinder (showing 1.6 and 1.3 crops directly in the viewfinder) was pretty cool.
Coming from a 1Ds mk 3 and original 7D, it felt "modern". Lots of different options to set, I suspect I would have to read the manual once to setup the camera as I want it.
Still, I'm going to wait for 5DsR vs Sony Alpha A7RII comparisons. I now use an A7R with my Canon glass and quite like it. The AF is slow, and I would need a body for my wildlife stuff (I don't see myself using the 500mm f/4 handheld with the A7R).
So I have to see how much DR I lose with the Canon, vs how much convenience I gain with a native Canon body vs the Sony.
Still, the 5DsR looked like a very decent body. If it had 1-2 Stops better DR, it would already have been in my shopping cart.

jpaulmoore

I purchased the 5Ds and did some testing (not extensive) comparing it with my Sony A7r with Metabones lll adapter. Although my testing wasn't extensive, I prefer the files from my A7r. I had high hopes for the Canon, wanting to get back to a native mount with all of my Canon, Sigma mount lenses but it just didn't work out for me. I returned the Canon to my dealer and immediately ordered the Sony A7r ll.

malmac

I was quite excited about the idea of a hi res Canon camera - as like many others I have some really nice Canon L series lenses - however I am just not seeing any reviews which give it a great rap - if it had come out 3-5 years ago, then it would have made a splash I suspect, but now it just seems a bit disappointing. The rather modest, by todays standard's dynamic range, the iso performance at 800iso seems to be heading in the direction of my IQ180 at 400iso - and for a CMOS sensor this seems well, dare I say it again disappointing.

Clean files to 1600iso would be fine, BUT for this little black duck I can't see me spending any money on one at this stage. Maybe the 5Dsr2 will be the dream camera!!!!

Mal

Uaiomex

How does the 5Ds accomplish this? I am really and seriously curious to know.

L. Chambers seems to be really really enthusiastic about this camera. I would be off the wall if it wasn't for the existence of the A7r2. I'll wait for real-life experiences before I decide the purchase but I'm afraid I'm already biased for the Sony. At this point in my life and after 35 years as a photographer, I find more exciting and more interesting for my photography the extra DR than the extra resolution.

Thanks in advanced.
Eduardo

Not much discussion about the 5Ds, despite deliveries ramping up slowly.
I played with one at my local photo store. It felt quite nice, the new LCD-type viewfinder (showing 1.6 and 1.3 crops directly in the viewfinder) was pretty cool.

jpaulmoore

Hi, what did you prefer about the files from the A7R and dislike about the 5DS files?
The dynamic range of the files is the main reason. I have grown accustomed to the EVF (which will be even better in the A7r ll) and how I can manually focus with live view and nail the focus every time.
Regards,
J. Paul

gazwas

Apart from the internet rumblings of the complaints about DR, every review I read and sample RAW I've downloaded points to the 5Ds being an amazing camera. I've personally held off ordering one until I see more from the new Sony but the more I read about it, the more tempting it becomes.

malmac

I was waiting for this camera and also the new Phase One camera to fit my IQ180.

So far I am trying to get excited about the 5Ds or sr but it always just seems to fall short - I see the images and I want them to be good but they seem to be soft and lack something. I am happy to admit that there is more to see and maybe I will fall in love - but not yet.

On the other hand the new XF camera with the waist level view finder gets a tick but a single focus point makes me screw up my face and shake my head slowly - maybe but it is not clear cut either.

we will see. I am looking forward to a member here saying yes I have one, and here are some RAWS to share that are punchy and exciting.

Mal

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Mal...I've just had it for few days. I don't have anything to prove to you but the 5DS has blown me away with my 17mm T/S, 24mm T/S II and 300mm f/4. It is definitely a worthwhile upgrade from 5D Mark III. I tried sony A7R. IQ was great but the handling was not for me.

This is the best 35mm-DSLR I've ever used, including Nikon D810 and Sony A7R, for landscape photography and it's getting closer to MFD. It took my breath away the first time I looked @ the JPEG (at that time I didn't update my PS). If the 5DSR is slightly better, I don't care. The 5DS has already met my standard, same as IQ180 meeting my standard for MFDB. It may not look good on paper for ISO capability but I am a landscape photographer and use the camera on tripod most of the time. Compared to the 5D Mark III, it's significant better though.

I've chosen the 5DS because my previous experience with the D800 and D800e which I didn't see difference in IQ after the processing and on the print. I've got this one from the FM Forum in brand new condition with $500 discount.

Best regards,
Pramote

turtle

Presumably you bought it from an early adopter who decided to move on? Bless early adopters :)

At the end of the day, its whatever works for you, right? I'm a Canon and Sony A7/A7R user and can see how the simplicity of adding a high res Canon body makes a lot of sense. For me personally, I wanted much more DR for shooting cityscapes at night, but if a person's uses do not require more than 12 stops, the the 5DS is a bit of a no brainer for Canon users.

The link shown earlier (this one) does show some improvements over the 5D III when it comes to lifting deep shadows, which was sorely needed IMO.

Mal...I've just had it for few days. I don't have anything to prove to you but the 5DS has blown me away with my 17mm T/S, 24mm T/S II and 300mm f/4. It is definitely a worthwhile upgrade from 5D Mark III. I tried sony A7R. IQ was great but the handling was not for me.

This is the best 35mm-DSLR I've ever used, including Nikon D810 and Sony A7R, for landscape photography and it's getting closer to MFD. It took my breath away the first time I looked @ the JPEG (at that time I didn't update my PS). If the 5DSR is slightly better, I don't care. The 5DS has already met my standard, same as IQ180 meeting my standard for MFDB. It may not look good on paper for ISO capability but I am a landscape photographer and use the camera on tripod most of the time. Compared to the 5D Mark III, it's significant better though.

I've chosen the 5DS because my previous experience with the D800 and D800e which I didn't see difference in IQ after the processing and on the print. I've got this one from the FM Forum in brand new condition with $500 discount.

Best regards,
Pramote

malmac

Best regards,
Pramote
Like I have always stated , I want to like this camera - so any reservations I express are just that reservations not criticisms.
It is good to know you are using this camera back to back with an IQ180 because that would be my situation exactly.

I have already purchased the new 11-24mm Canon super wide lens - but now having cold feet about the 5Ds/sr - just want to avoid the disappointment if I find the files not to my liking.

The camera would be my easy to go to camera when we travel - I have some really nice Canon lenses and all I am lacking for the Canon family is a good high res camera body - as I will keep my 1D mk4 -

So if at some stage you could share some RAW files for me to examine on my computer that would be fantastic. I will be away from my desk for the next seven or eight weeks on a field trip so there is no hurry.

So glad you are loving your camera.

Mal

gazwas

The familiarity and simplicity of just slapping a lens on a high-res Canon body is such a bonus in my view. My only problem is my inner gear head wonders what the extra DR of the Sony could bring to my photography even though I've managed perfectly well with my 1Ds3 (using additional lighting) for all my interiors and still life work I currently shoot.

I can honestly say I don't have problems with blown highlights or issues with lifting shadows in my pictures so not sure where I would see the advantages but I still can't help being drawn into the attraction of the modern tech in the Sony sensor. I'm doubtful the Sony will allow me to sell all my Bron battery lighting and the Sony is no longer at a price where if it doesn't work out its no great loss.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Mal...

Our expectations may be different. To me, Canon lenses are designed to use with the Canon camera. I can't just accept the handling of Canon lenses on Sony A7R. AF with Metabone is just frustrating. The body of A7R is too small to me and I lost my enjoyment of taking pictures, no matter how good the files are (actually not much for landscape photography in general). I've always bring it with my Phase One but ended up never used it.

You may have to accept the Canon sensor is not perfect but to me it's pretty damn good. Two choices, cut loss and sell all Canon lenses. The other, lives with it (5DS/5DSR)! I think its IQ is the closest to MFD so far, at least to me. I don't think you will be happy putting the canon lenses (especially AF) on a tiny body of A7RII. I just can't live with it.

I've just sent the links to my raw files of my test shots to you.

I hope you can make a decision one way or another.

Best regards

Pramote

Like I have always stated , I want to like this camera - so any reservations I express are just that reservations not criticisms.
It is good to know you are using this camera back to back with an IQ180 because that would be my situation exactly.

I have already purchased the new 11-24mm Canon super wide lens - but now having cold feet about the 5Ds/sr - just want to avoid the disappointment if I find the files not to my liking.

The camera would be my easy to go to camera when we travel - I have some really nice Canon lenses and all I am lacking for the Canon family is a good high res camera body - as I will keep my 1D mk4 -

So if at some stage you could share some RAW files for me to examine on my computer that would be fantastic. I will be away from my desk for the next seven or eight weeks on a field trip so there is no hurry.

So glad you are loving your camera.

Mal

fotografz

Good read Chris! I like unabashed, real world reviews devoid of the herd mentality.

As wedding shooter for decades, I can relate to how you are evaluating this new camera. However, I think that it could also fit many other photographic categories that have similar demands or lesser demands. Point being that wedding work is something of an acid test.

I tend to agree with you regarding the latest internet buzz words … DR. While I get it for certain applications where you are selectively shooting a few images and can spend the time in post to optimize them, 1,000 flat-toned, high DR images from a wedding is another matter altogether. Like you, I subscribe to the notion that "if the tonal range is that wide", break out the lighting to bring it back into balance … Duh!

Frankly, in retrospect, moving to Sony turned out to be a mistake for me. While the A900 was a decent wedding camera in need of some improvement (like dual parallel shooting to two cards), Sony abandoned the whole A900 philosophy in favor of EVF and lots of consumerist oriented stuff with the A99 replacement. The A99 and A7R both suffer from a delay that impacts deceive moment images so important to wedding work as well as other similar applications. The dog's breakfast Sony controls on their cameras may satisfy gamers and those inclined to love mastering and remastering cameras every year or so, but it is a real headache when it requires a degree from MIT to future out some simple setting.

I do not consider any still camera Sony makes as Pro level … not that a Pro can't make one work … Sony just misses on so many levels. Another disappointment is Sony's failure to influence third party makers of Pro accessories. A perfect example of this is Profoto's move to TTL control and HSS abilities with their B1 and B2 lighting … only possible with Canon or Nikon cameras.

As an aside, my hat is off to you for doing upwards of 50 weddings a year. OMG!

- Marc

Chris Giles

Good read Chris! I like unabashed, real world reviews devoid of the herd mentality.

As wedding shooter for decades, I can relate to how you are evaluating this new camera. However, I think that it could also fit many other photographic categories that have similar demands or lesser demands. Point being that wedding work is something of an acid test.

I tend to agree with you regarding the latest internet buzz words … DR. While I get it for certain applications where you are selectively shooting a few images and can spend the time in post to optimize them, 1,000 flat-toned, high DR images from a wedding is another matter altogether. Like you, I subscribe to the notion that "if the tonal range is that wide", break out the lighting to bring it back into balance … Duh!

Frankly, in retrospect, moving to Sony turned out to be a mistake for me. While the A900 was a decent wedding camera in need of some improvement (like dual parallel shooting to two cards), Sony abandoned the whole A900 philosophy in favor of EVF and lots of consumerist oriented stuff with the A99 replacement. The A99 and A7R both suffer from a delay that impacts deceive moment images so important to wedding work as well as other similar applications. The dog's breakfast Sony controls on their cameras may satisfy gamers and those inclined to love mastering and remastering cameras every year or so, but it is a real headache when it requires a degree from MIT to future out some simple setting.

I do not consider any still camera Sony makes as Pro level … not that a Pro can't make one work … Sony just misses on so many levels. Another disappointment is Sony's failure to influence third party makers of Pro accessories. A perfect example of this is Profoto's move to TTL control and HSS abilities with their B1 and B2 lighting … only possible with Canon or Nikon cameras.

As an aside, my hat is off to you for doing upwards of 50 weddings a year. OMG!

- Marc
Thanks Marc. The AF is certainly much improved over the 5D3 and 1DX, speed is around the same yet the accuracy is better. Something has changed with this body in regards the AF.

I'm finding that I still use the 1DX for the night shots, ISO performance and file size being the key reasons but the daytime weight reduction has meant the three weddings in a row that I just shot have not caused any shoulder pain or neck stiffness. :cool: