The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 5Ds/5DsR

turtle

And this matters. There is nothing like physical discomfort to mess up one's creative mojo.

Further reviews on the 5DS suggest they have made some significant gains in low ISO noise/read noise, because the files respond so much better than 5D III files to shadow lifting. This helps offset the very limited improvement in DR.

I have also noted some very low grey market prices for the 5DS, suggesting that this model is not selling nearly as well as the 5DS-R, perhaps?

... the daytime weight reduction has meant the three weddings in a row that I just shot have not caused any shoulder pain or neck stiffness. :cool:

Satrycon

i found the 5DS was available quite easily here in SE asia..and with discounts even from canon+resellers..the 5D-SR on the other hand was totally sold out..though i did get mine once the next shipment arrived.

And this matters. There is nothing like physical discomfort to mess up one's creative mojo.

Further reviews on the 5DS suggest they have made some significant gains in low ISO noise/read noise, because the files respond so much better than 5D III files to shadow lifting. This helps offset the very limited improvement in DR.

I have also noted some very low grey market prices for the 5DS, suggesting that this model is not selling nearly as well as the 5DS-R, perhaps?

DaveS

I bought the 5DS R mostly for architecture, but also for travel/landscape. I tried it for birding recently, and got this one of a dragon fly that was passing by. It's at 200 ISO and I had the metering set for all points and set at settings Art Morris recommends for birding on his site Birds as Art. It is 100% crop at this point, so originally it was tiny on the screen, but with the 51MP's it really pulls it in.

Very happy with the camera.

Dave

Attachments

cerett

I posted this image to the "Fun with . . . " thread a couple of days ago. This was my first real time out the with 5DSR. Put a 10 stop Firecrest ND filter on a 24mm TSE. So far I really love the camera and am absolutely crazy about the filter. Unlike the Lee Big Stopper, virtually no color cast. View attachment 94701

Attachments

cerett

Here is another image with the 5DSR (70-200 lens) taken a week ago in the Masai Mara. The new Sony sounds very appealing, but I am not about to change entire systems. Very happy thus far._11A1842.jpg

compasiune11

Best AF sistem Canon offers ( excluding the new 1DX mk II) and the best image resolutin 50 MP, 2 years back a Hasselblad had this resolution.
SUperb job Canon!

MrSmith

They are quite cheap now so I'm considering getting one, I have a mkIII that sits unused as a back-up and I use a Sony A7r on a cambo Actus which is fantastic and gets used for most jobs but what I love about the canons is the hand-held usability and instinctive shooting and the easy to understand buttons/menus. Thing is it's not something I do a lot of but I have to have that ability when those jobs come in.
I could probably flog the mkIII and trade up for just under £1k for a grey import body.
TBH it would become a back-up or be used for AF/moving things/people but I like the idea of taking it on holidays/walks and looking through a real viewfinder with focus that works.
I think the answer is to hire one and see how I like it. I guess my older 70-200 2.8 L (non-IS) will not cut it any more.

rjp85

I absolutely love what the 5DsR is capable of producing, but after playing with some RAW files from the Canon 80D (with on-chip ADC), and seeing a chart that shows the 1DX2 has even better dynamic range than the 80D, I've decided that I will not be buying any Canon cameras that do NOT have the on-chip ADC.

As awesome as the 5DsR is right now, I can't wait to see the 5D4, 6D2, 5DsR2, etc.

This is why with Sony, I have all Canon mount Zeiss Otus, Milvus, and Canon lenses.

I started with Canon, and I'll probably end up back with them in the future. :)

MrSmith

i still have some good canon lenses (24-70 2.8 II, 24 ts-e II, 100 2.8 macro, 90 ts-e) and would also happily go back to a canon camera. i’m a sony user now mostly with a cambo actus or occasionally the canon lenses adapted but last week i was helping out a car photographer friend of mine and was surprised at how good the 5dsR files were, they were that good that once the £800 repair for his H5D50c lens is back the whole system is being sold as it offers very little over the canon.
Canon sensors really have moved on since the 5DIII which is the last body i owned.
its foolish to dismiss a camera just because of a DXO rating or an online review, you really have to see the results of your own use in front of you to gain a meaningful conclusion. i can pick up a 5Ds for about £1800 (ex-vat) if the filming specs matched the sony i probably would have by now.

Abstraction

Why doesn't the 5DS R get any love? Everywhere you look, people are saying Fuji GFX, X1D, Nikon 810, Sony 7RII, blah blah blah and for some strange reason, the 5DS R is treated like a red headed step child.

MrSmith

because a scientific graph shows its an inferior camera.
that and people look for validation and post purchase rationalisation and affirmation from their peers.

when the reality is images matter not graphs.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
well, 60MP sounds pretty interesting for the SR mkII

http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-5ds-r-mark-ii-talk-cr2/
If Canon could come up with a hybrid OVF/EVF - as many hoped for the Nikon D850 - this would be a stunning camera.

I am anyway without any DSLR system in the moment, so I would be open to go either Canon and Nikon. I only would hope that this camera would show up in the next 6 month so I did not have to go back into Nikon before :banghead:

Some of the newer Canon lenses are pretty interesting such as the 1.4/85 for example ....