The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 5Ds/5DsR

gazwas

This forum is a lonely place so I thought I's post some (potentially) good news.

A 50.6Mpix sensor in a 5D body and the options of with (5Ds) or without (5DsR) low pass filter. No mention of if the camera uses a Canon or Sony chip but as long as its not the usual 11 stop Canon DR its the camera I've been waiting to buy.

Fingers crossed for the official announcement (next Friday?) and its the camera all Canon users have been wishing sooooooooo long for?

miska

One of the rumors was that the sensor development is in fact a collaboration between Canon and Sony.
Canon gets the Sony dynamic range, and adds the pixel level AF sensor.
Let's see if that is true. I am also a bit scared of the price, and I hope it will not be much more than the Nikon D800e at launch (about 3200 Euros).

gazwas

This is Canon, it will be more expensive IMO unless they stop selling the 5D mkIII or drastically reduce its price. The S version of the 1D bodies was always more so can't see this bucking the trend as I think Canon know how desperate Canon users are for a high Mpix camera meaning it will sell in droves to people like me, what ever they charge.

Now the rumour of the long(er than the 90mm) macro TS-E to be also announced and released at the same time as the new camera and I'll be a very happy Canon user again.

tray271

highest ios 6400 that will suit me as I only ever go above iso 200..if it is a sony sensor it shows how lazy canon are ..if it has a good dynamic range and a nice 3.2 inch screen I will get one ..with the iso only being 6400 maybe canons own sensor be interesting to see

timn420

Yeah, pricing on this one may be quite high. This may actually push me to nikon as the price for the d810 may drop somewhat... who knows. I'm curious to see how the AF is and if there will be any cross type AF points. If not, it could be limiting to me.

gazwas

Canon's S (studio) camera's have never been high ISO monsters, high fps machine guns or had lighting reaction AF systems so why anyone can expects all this in the new camera really confuses me. It would be nice but I'm being realistic.

Lots of pixels meaning lots of fine detail coupled with smooth colour transitions and cavernous amounts of DR is what I expect (hope?). Everything else is available else where in more suitable (but lower resolution) cameras.

gazwas

Update2:
The source also stated that the sensor is made by Canon using a new CMOS manufacturing process.
The more accurate colour bit really interests me about this sensor. No mentions of increase in the usual Canon DR yet though. 15 stops please Canon. :)

jpaulmoore

I, like many of us, have been waiting a long time for this! It still is incomprehensible to me that Canon has been so slow to replace the 1Ds Mark lll (which I own) with a worthy upgrade. I have been using a Sony A7r with Metabones lll adapter, but it's a clunky solution. This new Canon needs to be something really special (more than just megapixels) to make me want to buy it. They need to let the world now that they are a player again in this market, if they want it. The competition from much smaller companies has either surpassed them or is nipping at their heels.

Uaiomex

At last there is something to talk about Canon. Even if it's only rumors.
Who'd knew!

Eduardo

This forum is a lonely place so I thought I's post some (potentially) good news.

A 50.6Mpix sensor in a 5D body and the options of with (5Ds) or without (5DsR) low pass filter. No mention of if the camera uses a Canon or Sony chip but as long as its not the usual 11 stop Canon DR its the camera I've been waiting to buy.

Fingers crossed for the official announcement (next Friday?) and its the camera all Canon users have been wishing sooooooooo long for?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Even as a Nikon user, I see forward to this release. Competition is needed, and the D800/810 models have been rather alone in their market niche for too long. The 5D III is a nice camera, but it's showing its age, and the difference in resolution is certainly noticeable.

I really hope that the new camera comes with a Canon sensor. Sony has a too dominant position in the sensor market, and without Canon, there aren't many others left, although some Nikon models apparently have sensors from different suppliers, like Toshiba.

tray271

yes sounds like it is a canon sensor ..will be interesting what sony have also ..canon need to get the dynamic range on this if not I cant see the point..also no mention of the screen lcd..it has to be 3.2 inch with a 3.2 ration ..tilt would be nice but I can do with out it..final thing is for canon to get any respect from me they have to be fair with the price ..my guess none aa filter version £3500 uk

From the standpoint of taking pictures:

It seems to be aimed at landscape and studio photographers. I personally welcome it because for FF BW landscapes, Leica MM is currently the best (may I say 'only'?) way to go. But 50MP w/o AA filter would yield BW conversions with IQ equal to MM files. Also there'd be LV for pre-visualizing (which is so difficult with RF and external finders). The LR/ACR/PS BW conversion sliders would be available again for shaping an image's tonally. And at this point, continuing to upgrade the Leica system (after 40 years of using 'em) seems to have become a fool's errand from the standpoint of expense.

I'll be considering this Canon, alongside whatever Sony offers next, as successor to my MM as a picture-taking machine.

Kirk

Last edited:

jpaulmoore

Another thought ran through my mind about the photo of this camera floating around. It just looks like they crammed all the supposed new components in to a 5D Mark lll body. Surely, after all of this time they would make some improvements. This camera has been so long in coming that it should even come with an espresso machine :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Someone over at dpr has listed the most common complaints about this yet to be released camera :ROTFL:

1 Too many pixels
2 Too much noise at high ISO (related to (1))
3 Too soft (no good enough lenses for it)
4 Low DR (without even knowing anything about it)
5 Too expensive
6 It's a "brick"
7 It's a "dinosaur" - no EVF
8 Highest ISO too low
9 5 fps only
10 Not as balanced as the 5D3

I think he forgot "Not enough pixels" and "Lowest ISO to high" ;)

ShooterSteve

I am also very excited about this announcement. I'm ready and willing to sell all my Nikon gear and return to just one system again. BUT- until I test it and see if it's really as good as the D800E, I will be skeptical. Canon's track record for their sensors is not that good. I really hope this one is as least as good as Nikon or Sony's. I've been waiting for a few years for Canon to catch up, so my excitement is hard to contain..... now we wait and see....

kdphotography

In retrospect (from a photographer's point of view), I think it was a mistake to merge the 1D and 1Ds lines. It probably made business sense because of the comparatively limited number of sales at the top. But at the same time it feels like Canon really forgot about professional (still) photographers.

1Dx never floated my boat. It struck me as a stop-gap measure body. Some improvements but nothing that knocked my socks off for my uses. At this point I just need a solid replacement in light of my aging 1Ds III. Don't need 50+/- megapixels. Just a couple more really usable stops of performance would make me happy---and in a 1D series body.

ken