Site Sponsors

Thread: 6D or 5D mkIII?

Post Thanks / Like

6D or 5D mkIII?

Guys, I'm migrating from Nikon to Canon as I want to be able to use Canon glass in AF mode on the A7RII. The price difference is pretty big and I was wondering if 5D MKIII is really worth all the extra money (I could spend this money on Canon lenses).

- I know the 5D has 2 memory slots but I'd like to know if I can use TWO sd cards instead of one sd card and one compact flash card?
    - Since the 5D doesn't have wifi OR an on camera flash, I'm thinking I will be forced to spend more money on a off camera flash system. Can the 6D communicate with an off camera flash with it's on camera wifi system or would I have to buy a transmitter and received too?
    - The image quality is supposed to be the same on both cameras, right?
    - The AF system on the 5D is supposed to be incredibly superior to the one on the 6D, but the 6D has the advantage in low light AF (this could be overcome with an cheap AF assist bean system)...one of the things I will use this camera for is weddings, so AF is important.

Anything else I should take into account?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: 6D or 5D mkIII?

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    - I know the 5D has 2 memory slots but I'd like to know if I can use TWO sd cards instead of one sd card and one compact flash card?
    - Since the 5D doesn't have wifi OR an on camera flash, I'm thinking I will be forced to spend more money on a off camera flash system. Can the 6D communicate with an off camera flash with it's on camera wifi system or would I have to buy a transmitter and received too?
    - The image quality is supposed to be the same on both cameras, right?
    - The AF system on the 5D is supposed to be incredibly superior to the one on the 6D, but the 6D has the advantage in low light AF (this could be overcome with an cheap AF assist bean system)...one of the things I will use this camera for is weddings, so AF is important.
    Hello Rawfa. This subforum is a little deserted, but I hope those who have experience with both 5D mkIII & 6D will correct me if I don't provide accurate answers to your Qs. I've been shooting with 6D only.
    1. You can get a CF to SD adapter for dual SD setup on 5D.
    2. You'll need a transmitter for wireless flash for either camera, unless your flashes are Wi-Fi capable that I never heard of.
    3. 6D has a noticeable edge in IQ (color accuracy, noise structure, grain) at high ISO (iso12800+).
    4. 6D has only 1 double cross AF point in the center that is very accurate in low light. The other 10 points are linear and nothing to be proud of, but they work OK in good light.

If you rely a lot on AF and use off-center points quite often, then 5DmkIII is what I'd advise you. 5DmkIII offers better video functions and video quality.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Malina. Although I donīt do wedding ALL the time, my main concern when getting the 6D is if itīs AF system is reliable enough for an eventual wedding. Itīs great to hear that itīs better than the 5DMKIII regarding high iso though (Iīve also read it AFs better in low light).

Post Thanks / Like

Would it be too much to ask if I asked anyone to send me some 6D raw files with iso 8000, 10.000 and 12.800 in low light?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You can download 6D RAW shots at iso12800+ from here.

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go 5D III, for the better AF and build quality.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys,

I notice Dustin Abbott.net owns 2 6Ds, while I think Canon Digital Picture review guy owns 2 5DIII's. So if you read their sites you can see why each choose theirs to help you get more background ideas.

I own one of each. I do a few weddings each year and bought the 6D as a full frame back up at the time. I also do architecture a lot. And then wildlife, and scenic on vacation and for fun.

What I found is I tend to pick up the 6D more often because of the smaller/lighter size, and am very happy with it for any of the above. For wildlife I would likely take the 5DIII just because of the focus and frame rate advantages. But I have never felt let down by the 6D in anyway.

The only thing I notice between them is the button set up isn't the same so you have to remember which camera you are using and if you have both (ie wedding) then you have to be very familiar on switching what you press where in a hurry.

Lastly I just got my 5DS R and did my first architecture job yesterday with it. But that is a totally different thing, and for one it is a beast on CPU computer cycles when doing HDR or just processing a lot of images.

PS: I only shoot RAW for everything, so my impression of the 6D and 5DIII are all from RAW images, which I am very happy with.

regards,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I own a Canon ^D for 3 years now, get camera, sensor is exactly like 5DmkIII but the olny focus point you can rely on is the center focus point...
    Canon 6D | Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II | Canon EF 35 f/1.4 L II | Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L II | Canon 16-35 f4 L IS
    fotograf nunta brasov | fotograf nunta | foto nunta brasov