The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New TS lenses.

Ben Rubinstein

Given these lenses and especially the prices it looks like Canon are going after the MFDB crowd specifically with these releases.

mark1958

i really hope the optics of the new lenses are improved. I have tested some of the version II wide angles from Canon and not been impressed with improvement other than less CA. I just am not going to jump until I can see how the new 24mm TSE compares to the old model. I had a schneider 28mm Shift lens and it was stellar in sharpness side to side and even shifted. However the CA was quite problematic at times.

httivals

Mark: For me the biggest problems of using the 24mm tse I, and especially 45mm tse, on a Canon 5D was the chromatic aberration. So if that's improved substantially with the new coatings, it will be a significant improvement. Given the larger image circle of the II version of the 24mm tse, it should also be substantially sharper side to side when shifted, but you're correct of course, it's better not to jump too quickly until you can see actual comprisons.

Professional

Great news, in fact i added a TS lens in my wishlist for the future, but now with these 2 i think i will replace it with one of these news [24mm], waiting it.

D

DougDolde

Guy I wondered the same thing. A 36x48mm sensor has a 60mm diagonal so it would be tight unless the image circle is under rated. Tilt would be OK but shift pretty limited.

If someone mounted one on a view camera they could measure the image circle on the ground glass at various apertures.

Lars

I wonder if it's worth the effort for the purpose of shift, normally you'd want a 50% slack in image circle on a shift lens.

OTOH, coverage must be close to 130 degrees - just get the camera level and crop later, there's your shift lens :)

Rethmeier

CA will still be an issue!
My Canon 45 TS-E had terrible CA.
Now I'm using the Nikon D3x and the CA with the 45 PC-E is not great either.
I think we just have to correct the CA in post.
Cheers,
Willem.
N.B I had CA with the 40 Schneider on my Hy6/75LV.(Now sold)

I

inthemeadows

Rethmeier-
is the nikon 45mm pc-e sharper than the Canon 45mm TS-E?