The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

BH Announces 1Dx Mk II

Pradeep

They've finally got the sensor fixed, i.e. on par with Nikon, or so the initial reports seem to indicate.

Here is Andy Rouse's report on it. Some interesting photos.

I know a lot of people are complaining there is not enough new stuff, but for me it's good enough to want to replace my 1DX. If the sensor plays out as they claim it will, that alone is worth the price of admission. For wildlife it is still one of the best cameras out there.

Pradeep

Not sure how the AF will hole up to the one in the D5 though ?????
Well, it may not. But then I've been in the Canon camp for 14 years now, hard to change. Thought about it a few times and then they came up with something Nikon didn't have. It is a catch-up game and if the AF is even slightly better than the previous model I will be very happy.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
Not sure how the AF will hole up to the one in the D5 though ?????
Well I shot a D4s and left that system (was a Nikon shooter for over 30 years) because its autofocus was not on par with the 1Dx, especially for focus tracking, so if Canon have improved on the 1Dx system, Nikon is the one that has the ground to make up. I was fortunate enough to shoot my D4s side by side with a buddy at a baseball game, and a hockey game, and my Nikon was good, but the 1Dx was just better (which ticked me off at the time since I was a lifelong Nikon shooter)

I am disappointed that the MP count only went up by 2MP which in this day and age is virtually nothing, especially taking into account that the 1Dx was release about 4 years ago, and in 4 years, we know that the digital era in photography has grown tremendously.

Not that it matters as my days of shooting sports are fewer and further between so I am no longer in need of a camera of this type (even though they are a ton of fun to shoot).

iiiNelson

I agree that the Nikon looks slight better due to AF... On paper. My cousin is a 1Dx and 7D shooter and they both had AF systems that pretty much made me comfortable with relying mostly on them. I can't say that about most cameras when placed outside of ideal lighting conditions.

All L that being said I still can't see myself going back to being a Canon shooter as I don't rely on lenses longer than 135mm often unless I'm traveling.