The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Quality of 16-35 f4 vs 17 tse, 24 is usm and 40 stm quality and usability for hiking

karlfoto

Hi Forum

I have a 24 is usm lens, 40mm stm and also a 17 ts-e lens.

I usually use the 17 for the architecture, and the 24 and 40 for my backpacking trips because of the size and weight.

However, I need to get some images where i need wider than the 24 (wf shot, and i cant step back), and am loath to take the 17ts-e because of the bulk and weight of the lens.

Taking the 16-35 (615g) instead of the 17, 24 and 40 (1332g) makes huge sense ito weight and ease of use while hiking, however the 17 would only be used on the tripod while tenting and the 24 used while actual hiking, is a nice small package in the bag on the hip ( bigger bag is bulky and prevents good tensioning of the waist strap).

How good is the 16-35 verses these other lenses that i have?

ps i also like the sun-stars on the 16-35.

mazor

Can't say much on the 17TSE, 24, or the 40 STM, but I I can tell you the 16-35 F4L IS USM is very sharp wide open. It is Canon's first ultra wide zoom that has performance not only in the center, but also the corners. I would rate this lens as Canon's top ultra wide zoom.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I use it on my Sony A7rII and I am mighty impressed.

Some samples here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Shoots/Canon_16_35_4/

Best regards
Erik

Can't say much on the 17TSE, 24, or the 40 STM, but I I can tell you the 16-35 F4L IS USM is very sharp wide open. It is Canon's first ultra wide zoom that has performance not only in the center, but also the corners. I would rate this lens as Canon's top ultra wide zoom.

karlfoto

Thanx for the feedback.

I might get it, and a 24 ts-e then take those two with me. For on the go hiking, i can use the 16-35, and when i am able to take some time, use the 24 ts-e.

The weight, the weight though.

Just suck it up and do some more training at gym.