The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

5dsr vs leica S

Bernard

That's an S2 they are using by the way, two generations old (S2, S006, S007).

I find it odd that they used beauty portraits to test system sharpness. Isn't harsh, clinical sharpness the last thing sitters want?

I prefer the smoother look they achieved with the Leica files, but you could match that with the Canon files by dialing-back the contrast and sharpening.

Stuart Richardson

I don't have much of a stake in the comparison, as I am not a candidate to switch to Canon, but as a Leica S user, I would say that it is not wise to shoot at f/13 or f/16. I am not sure if it is diffraction, or just lens performance, but the 120mm S macro is significantly better at f5.6 or even f4 than it is at f/13 or f/16. I generally don't shoot above f11 on the S unless I need the depth of field...5.6 or 8 is usually ideal, but in my experience 2.8 would be sharper than f13 of f16...the 120mm macro is insanely good. Keeping the shutter speed high (even with mirror pre-release) can make more of a difference than aperture in pure performance on the S2.

Either way, I would expect that the 5DsR equipped with a great lens would outresolve the S2 at small apertures...it is a 50mp camera vs 37, and the S2, as wonderful as it is, was introduced seven years ago, vs the 1.5 year old Canon. And yes, the S needs a resolution update, and as a shooter of it, I would be the first to say so! But it is great that Canon shooters can now access this level of resolution for a reasonable price.