The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Raw software for Canon

cbserota

Need reccomendation for raw software. Using Canon 1DX Mark II. Canon tech support says will get best image quality from their Canon DPP.

pfigen

Need reccomendation for raw software. Using Canon 1DX Mark II. Canon tech support says will get best image quality from their Canon DPP.
Well of course that's what they're going to say. Only, they're wrong. There are only two choices I would say you need to consider. Iridient Developer and Capture One. DPP is free but you will get objectively better results with the two listed above. My first choice for overall image quality, detail, noise reduction and efficiency of operation is Capture One. C1 and Iridient offer 30 day trials. Go and play.

photo-bowman

Well... personally I do go with Photoshop CC/2017
I tried out C1 but since I had used PS before for a good while, I did not get into things there. It is probably like with all software. You do like what you are used to. DDP I do not have any any good experience with. But I have not heard much good about its ease of use.

Abstraction

I find that I get the best results with DPP. Capture 1 gave me inconsistent results. Some of the files were great (on par with Canon perhaps ever so slightly better), but others were waaaay off. The colors just weren't right at all. I haven't tried Iridient Developer, but I also tried Corel Paintshop Pro X9 and that wasn't as good as DPP. So, I haven't really found anything that works consistently better.

photo-bowman

Hi

I too would suggest Adobe (ACR - so either Photoshop or Lightroom).... I use PS CC myself for my Canon CR2 files.
Also I too have heard good things about C1. But no personal experience.

Try and judge yourself.

Abstraction

I have discovered recently that I'm getting good and consistent results with Corel's AfterShot Pro 3. It's not as powerful as C1, but it's consistent and it's easy to get good files out of it.