The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuzzy halo around lights

bomzi

I'm working on a shoot at a small clinic and am finding a hazy halo around the ceiling lights. My Canon 6D has a 24 TS-E lens with a circular polarizer on it to cut the reflections on the floor. The haze is there even without the polarizer.

It could be the light fixtures themselves as they have a frosted diffusing panel on them.

But I thought I'd ask if anyone else has run into a similar problem.

Thanks!
RandhirIMG_3670.jpg

bomzi

I did check the lens and it appears clean to me.

I do think that, if there was haze in the lens, it would affect the whole image rather than just the highlights.

pfigen

I'm working on a shoot at a small clinic and am finding a hazy halo around the ceiling lights. My Canon 6D has a 24 TS-E lens with a circular polarizer on it to cut the reflections on the floor. The haze is there even without the polarizer.

It could be the light fixtures themselves as they have a frosted diffusing panel on them.

But I thought I'd ask if anyone else has run into a similar problem.

Thanks!
RandhirView attachment 125044
I'd bet dollars to donuts that the flare is coming from your polarizer. Most of the cheaper brands will do this around bright or specular highlights. You may need to do two sets of exposures, one with and one without, then blend them together. While your at it, bracket and blend those exposures in as well, and you'll see your halos disappear. You will see *some* flaring around those lights even with an unfiltered and clean lens, but that is almost always easily taken care of with blending in the correct exposure for the lights themselves.