The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 1Ds Mark III and Optics

PSon

We know the 1Ds Mark III is coming but which lens would you anticipate to bring the magic out of this sensor? I am planing to put the Distagon T* 2.8/21 and the Leica Apo-Summicron-R 2.0/180 on it.

Last edited:

mark1958

Son.. I realize that there is some gain in the non canon lenses at the focal lengths about 50mm... but for me their weakness is still wide angle. Therefore, I think the 21mm distagon and 35mm PC are the two I will keep for that system. One exception may be the 100mm macro. I still think this lens is so much better than canon macro lens options. Since most macro is Manual focus anyway-- why s tick with canon here. Of course for me I want to really see the difference between the 1DsmkIII and my Medium format set up. I am seriously considering going back exclusively to 35mm format for now.
Mark

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Mark i really think there will be a lot of issue's with the new 1dsMKIII and many of the Canon lenses will not match the the sensor. I think it is a wise decision to hold onto the Zeiss glass you have today. I also suggested on another site until i got the boot again :D that folks may want to start building there Leica glass for the canon because when the leica R10 comes out they have another option to use there glass. Zeiss as we know is a one way street so folks need to think ahead a little and make some choices for the future with leica coming down the path. This whole DSLR arena is going to change in a drastic way i predict and a lot more aimed directly at the MF backs. It will certainly be interesting to see what unfolds here.

Attachments

mark1958

Let me guess the 28mm R... I liked that leica lens. Have you ever used the Leica 28mm PC?

Mark i really think there will be a lot of issue's with the new 1dsMKIII and many of the Canon lenses will not match the the sensor. I think it is a wise decision to hold onto the Zeiss glass you have today. I also suggested on another site until i got the boot again :D that folks may want to start building there Leica glass for the canon because when the leica R10 comes out they have another option to use there glass. Zeiss as we know is a one way street so folks need to think ahead a little and make some choices for the future with leica coming down the path. This whole DSLR arena is going to change in a drastic way i predict and a lot more aimed directly at the MF backs. It will certainly be interesting to see what unfolds here.

fotografz

"This whole DSLR arena is going to change in a drastic way i predict and a lot more aimed directly at the MF backs."

This reminds me of the car ad where all the competition shoots arrows directly at the new model ... and all of them miss : -)

Real Estate is real Estate. Whatever happens in sensor technology, happens on a larger scale with MF digital. It's just physics.

Guy Mancuso

LOL very true Marc but the prices need to come down on MF, you know this as well as anyone. Your pocket must go on fire as soon as a upgrade is announced:D

fotografz

Well, the most recent Leaf Aptus 75s upgrade was $3,000. The new Canon is $8,000. less what you can get for an existing 1DsMKII now that everyone knows the new one's here : -)

No doubt, in terms of initial investment the MF backs are killer, but I've sunk almost as much into 1 series Canon DSLRs as the Leaf and two rounds of upgrades both of which were completly new units in exchange for the old ones.

The difference is that I've been able to charge a digital capture fee (rental) based on going rental house rates for the MF back(s) that the Art Directors and buyers demand for a lot of the work we do. The cost of the Canons just comes off the bottom line for weddings, event and corporate PR work.

In terms of ROI, that has evened the playing field to a great degree.

But it really depends on what kind of work you do, and how versatile those applications are. The backs are used in studio on a Rollei Xact, in the field on the H camera, occassionally include the use of film backs on the H camera, and even for some high end wedding work where ultimate clarity is required ... like shooting 200 people in one shot.

Once you use a back ... it's hard to go back : -)

David K

Workshop Member
I am not holding my breath for the high end MFDB's to come down in price. But the Mamiya ZD is relatively affordable. Probably can get into that back and an RZ Pro IID for close to the same price as the new Canon. Of course they are entirely different kits but the Mamiya glass is top notch. Having both the Aptus 75S and the ZD (please, don't ask), I can honestly say that the Mamiya is a far better value for the money.

Attachments

volkerhopf

I am not holding my breath for the high end MFDB's to come down in price. But the Mamiya ZD is relatively affordable. Probably can get into that back and an RZ Pro IID for close to the same price as the new Canon. Of course they are entirely different kits but the Mamiya glass is top notch. Having both the Aptus 75S and the ZD (please, don't ask), I can honestly say that the Mamiya is a far better value for the money.
Hi, I would be interested to know why you are suggesting the RZ Pro and not the 645?
Thanks
Volker

PSon

Son.. I realize that there is some gain in the non canon lenses at the focal lengths about 50mm... but for me their weakness is still wide angle. Therefore, I think the 21mm distagon and 35mm PC are the two I will keep for that system. One exception may be the 100mm macro. I still think this lens is so much better than canon macro lens options. Since most macro is Manual focus anyway-- why s tick with canon here. Of course for me I want to really see the difference between the 1DsmkIII and my Medium format set up. I am seriously considering going back exclusively to 35mm format for now.
Mark
Dr. Kay, I agree with you that the alternative wide angle lens are the key to the Canon system in full frame.
Son

PSon

Hi, I would be interested to know why you are suggesting the RZ Pro and not the 645?
Thanks
Volker
Volker,
Not to speak for David, but he has too many systems already including the Contax 645 system and thus he does not need to get the Mamiya 645 system. The Mamiya 645 system is a nice setup with 2 exceptions that drive me crazy: 1. the mirror dampening, 2. the lens working distance is not close enough for me and 3. No waist level finder to do facilitate landscape and macro/copy work with the auto bellows system. However, this system is such a bargain and it is great for folks to try out medium format.
-Son

PSon

Regarding to the comments on upgrading in the medium format system: I know a few photographers choose not to upgrade their medium format backs because they are extremely happy with the current backs. The newer back offer higher ISO and speed but not too much on the IQ than the current or older version backs. Instead of upgrading in each cycle, they choose to skip every other cycle in their upgrade. Thus, the cost for upgrading is lower than one would suggested. On the other hand the 135 mm system, an upgrade is almost a must since the IQ is still behind the MFDB system. Remember, the Gold Standard is what need to be reached and if you are close enough you do not need to upgrade but if you are still far away shorten the reach to the standard is almost a must.

volkerhopf

Hi Son,
Do you see the mirror dampening just as a noise problem or do you think there is an effect on picture quality. If it is a picture quality problem from what speed on would you see a quality deterioration?
Regards
Volker

D

DougDolde

There must be some Canon L lenses that would work well on this camera. The question is which ones?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
There must be some Canon L lenses that would work well on this camera. The question is which ones?
My top picks: Any white prime (L telephoto), the 135 L, 200 L and 90 TSE. After that, you're going to need Leica or Zeiss glass to eek the best this camera has to offer. After that, the 35L, 50's 45 TSE, 85 and 100 will probably be at least in the very good category. None of Canon's zooms or shorter focals will do the sensor FULL justice, and you'll be essentially as well off with a 1Ds2 or 5D IMO...

woodyspedden

My top picks: Any white prime (L telephoto), the 135 L, 200 L and 90 TSE. After that, you're going to need Leica or Zeiss glass to eek the best this camera has to offer. After that, the 35L, 50's 45 TSE, 85 and 100 will probably be at least in the very good category. None of Canon's zooms or shorter focals will do the sensor FULL justice, and you'll be essentially as well off with a 1Ds2 or 5D IMO...
Wait until Husband has perfected the engineering on the G to EOS converter then for wides go with the fabulous Nikon 14-24 2.8 and the 24-70 2.8. Along with the older 70-200 2.8 and a 1.4 teleconverter you have all the kit you need for 98% of your shooting. If you do a lot of macro I would vote for the 200 4.0 (The latest version, not the original!) While the kit seems large the working distance at the 200mm focal length is such that it won't seem a bother.

Just MHO. YMMV

Woody

W

workingcamera

When one hankers for a workable Nikkor G glass to EOS adaptor its time to buy a Nikon FX D. (rhetorical rant)

Nikon have done some nice work on their lens range.

Its almost heresy to say this out loud but I can’t help wondering that Canon have for quite some time been sitting on their laurels neglecting the optical side in their professional offerings.

fotografz

When one hankers for a workable Nikkor G glass to EOS adaptor its time to buy a Nikon FX D. (rhetorical rant)

Nikon have done some nice work on their lens range.

Its almost heresy to say this out loud but I can’t help wondering that Canon have for quite some time been sitting on their laurels neglecting the optical side in their professional offerings.
That is what competition is for.

Canon has done a decent job on a scant few lenses ... like the new 14mm ... the 16-35/2.8L-II was incremental at best (something is better than nothing), and the 50/1.2 was less than incremental ( tons better than the old 50/1.0 especially in flare suppression, but no Zeiss 50/1.2 that's for sure).

Hey Canon, wake up !! Take your fast glass like the 24/1.4, 35/1.4 and make it the best in the world ... that'd do it for me since I'm not a fan of slow zooms anyway.

Guy Mancuso

That has been the issue Marc is there glass and it has been for a long time. I know many people bolt on different lenses of leica , Zeiss , Olympus and others. Hell i started it but we should NOT have to do that to get good results. Now this Nikon zoom folks are buying to bolt on. I am sitting here early Sunday morning to unwrap a 5D. Trust me there is no excitement in opening the box at all. That is bad since we all know how much I like gear.

fotografz

That has been the issue Marc is there glass and it has been for a long time. I know many people bolt on different lenses of leica , Zeiss , Olympus and others. Hell i started it but we should NOT have to do that to get good results. Now this Nikon zoom folks are buying to bolt on. I am sitting here early Sunday morning to unwrap a 5D. Trust me there is no excitement in opening the box at all. That is bad since we all know how much I like gear.
I know the feeling. Drop a wad of cash on a camera, and it's like unloading a skid of shingles for a new roof ... when you're done the problem is fixed, but it's still the same roof as before.

There is a look to Leica images that's difficult to quantify scientifically, but since I'm not a scientist or engineer I don't have to try. I just go with what my eyes tell me. For me, both Canon and Nikon have been good workhorse tools ... but frankly, there's no real joy in the tools themselves ... not as much connection. Even if they fixed the Canon lenses, I doubt I'd connect ... they'd just be a better workhorse.

If the R10 is any where near what's being predicted, Canon will be history in my gear box, and not one tear of remorse will be shed.