The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 1Ds Mark III and Optics

LJL

I think you have hit the nail squarely.....the Canons and Nikons are very good "workhorses" as cameras go. The good thing about them compared to many others is the fact that they are so widespread, and if you need one in a hurry, that is possible. They work most of the time without problems. (Let's set aside some of the newest issues with the Canon 1DMkIII, as that is still a bit of a problem for many.)

They are not terribly exciting as toys go, but they can do the job that few others can on a very regular basis. The latest D3 looks to finally bring some much needed updating, improvement, capability and maybe excitement to Nikonians, as well as gear flippers. On the Canon side, the 1DsMkIII still looks to be an incredible fairly high resolution do-almost-all-of-it camera. The glass for both lines used to be a strength, but is now more of a compromise. Nikon has updated and released some new and exciting lenses, and Canon has been working on several themselves. That is the good part. The less good part is that so much of the rest of their lines of glass are left wanting, maybe with the exception of the super-telephotos.

I still have my several 1-series bodies (2x 1DMkII and a 1DsMkII), and use them extensively for my workhorse work. They never fail. They also rarely excite. They are still more capable for the widest range of capture of anything. Not all of that capture is going to be outstanding, such as the ultra-wide end of things, but they get the job done. I just find it very hard to pick any of them up for any pleasure or artistic shooting anymore. The M8 fills that bill. Will an R10 supplant my Canon stuff when it arrives? Probably not, as if and when the Canons break or have problems, I can get them fixed in a few days, or get a loaner very easily, thus allowing work to go on. So far, Leica has shown itself to be terribly underperforming there.

I am not bashing Leica, but really putting a working perspective on things. The Nikons I shot for 25+ years were workhorses. The Canons I have been shooting the past 5+ years are workhorses. The M8 is a more fragile, finicky machine, but a total pleasure to shoot and allows me the workhorse escape for creativity and such. I really cannot do without it at this point, but I also cannot count on it to deliver most of what I need the workhorses for. Just the nature of my shooting. I would hope for an R10 that could deliver the fun and excitement and image quality or better of the M8, but until it proves itself in the field, it will only be an added camera to the kit, and not the "grab it when you absolutely have to get the shot" camera.

LJ

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If the R10 is any where near what's being predicted, Canon will be history in my gear box, and not one tear of remorse will be shed.
Amen to that! But I want at 2 of those those 24 new lenses to be STELLAR tilt-shift lenses (28 and 90) :)

fotografz

I think you have hit the nail squarely.....the Canons and Nikons are very good "workhorses" as cameras go. the nature of my shooting. I would hope for an R10 that could deliver the fun and excitement and image quality or better of the M8, but until it proves itself in the field, it will only be an added camera to the kit, and not the "grab it when you absolutely have to get the shot" camera.

LJ
IMO, they need to get to that point in order for the R line to survive long term. While most certainly not for everyone, Leica R was used by more Pro shooters in rugged and hostile conditions than it is now. Leica needs to gain some of that back with a Flagship digital R.

Some people have shown a desire for a $4,000. to $5,000. R10 ... not me. If so many photographers were willing to shell out $7,000 -$8,000. for a Canon 1Ds, 1DsMKII, and now a 1DsMKIII ... why not a R10 that could stand toe-to-toe with those "workhorses" but kill them on the optical end?

But, man, you are right, Pros who's reputations are as stake need tools that work, and need stellar service when they don't.

jjphoto

...I am not bashing Leica, but really putting a working perspective on things. ...
LJ
That's the thing isn't it, a working perspective.

I used Leica R full time for about 5 years and eventually decidied to dump it for Canon (film, not digital) because of a string of minor things which all added up to a significant issue. Such as difficulty using filters on wide angles, inability to hire gear, manual focus eventually became an issue so going to AF was a bonus (although 99% of my work is done manually anyway), cost of zooms such as the 70-180/2.8, and a few other practical issues.

Canon and Nikon are 'systems' designed to make the pro's life as easy as possible. Of course image quality is often not as good, but from a working perspective IQ is not the main criteria.

JJ

W

workingcamera

if and when the Canons break or have problems, I can get them fixed in a few days, or get a loaner very easily, thus allowing work to go on. So far, Leica has shown itself to be terribly underperforming there.

LJ
So true…its no secret

Leica AG cannot provide the level of backup service in-the-field shooters require.

the lean years have taken a toll

All too often its the dealers (not Leica) who often keep the ball rolling providing loan and rental gear when need.

Its an area Leica AG need to address

David K

Workshop Member
I've sold off my Canon gear for a while now and really don't miss it. Once I stopped shooting the long glass, which is where they really excel, it just didn't float my boat any longer. There are times though where I really could use the high ISO performance and fast AF... just not enough to warrant having the gear.